Tube TV question

General and high profile video game topics.
Rev1

Tube TV question

Postby Rev1 » April 14th, 2014, 7:58 pm

So I finally found a tube tv (32") and I got it home and slightly dropped it (thing probably weighed more then me). Thankfully it still works but there is a slight purple discoloration on the side. Obviously, it was my fault but is there anyway to get rid of the discoloration or should I just count my blessings? The only way that tv is ever leaving my apartment is in like 15 pieces.

kew9820001

Tube TV question

Postby kew9820001 » April 15th, 2014, 10:45 am

If you dropped it, chances are you may have damaged the tube or the yoke may have been bumped out of alignment. Simply put, a tube TV relies on magnetic fields to display the picture correctly. If you're lucky, you may be able to fix it with a degaussing coil or a magnet. Degaussing is the process of decreasing or eliminating a remnant magnetic field. I would try that first before giving up on it. Here is a guide I found on degaussing using a magnet. http://www.ehow.com/how_7959937_use-magnet-correct-tv-problems.html  I would be extremely careful because if you use a too powerful of a magnet, you could damage the TV permanently.

ActRaiser1

Tube TV question

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 15th, 2014, 11:07 am

If you search for degaussing you'll find a ton of tricks.  

One that I didn't see listed but a friend told me about is to take a vacuum cleaner and starting further away, run it in a circular pattern from the outside, working your way in.  

It's got a much more powerful magnet than almost anything you'll have on hand.

Another friend of mine had to use that trick to clear up a funky monitor and it worked like a charm.

Good luck!

Oltobaz1

Tube TV question

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 15th, 2014, 1:06 pm

If you look hard enough, you might find some degauss devices. One of my favorite French arcade dealers has some of those in stores 'Neo Legend', that's what the store is called, and I'm pretty sure they'd ship over the Atlantic, no problem(google it). Incidentally, I'm getting a Vewlix from these guys tnis coming Wednesday, so excited. That's the first thing you'll notice on their website if you google their store. Fantastic stuff.

Rev1

Tube TV question

Postby Rev1 » April 15th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Thanks for the awesome feedback you guys. I appreciate it. I'll give a few of the suggestions a try. I'm hoping degaussing works but if it doesn't I'll live. I paid $10 for it so it isn't a huge loss if I broke it. A friend of mine has a Sony Trinitron that I could have for free (pretty much brand new) so if I'm lucky maybe I'll come out of this with 2 tvs.

Oltobaz1

Tube TV question

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 16th, 2014, 3:55 am

I'm 95 % sure degauss should work ^^ 

Return to “Video Games General”