Gamestick

General and high profile video game topics.
Astrosmasher1

Gamestick

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 9th, 2013, 4:12 am

There is another Android console on the market called the Gamestick. 

Hey has anyone played it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTqB-QOnGM

Weekend_Warrior1

Gamestick

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » December 9th, 2013, 8:05 am

Classic Game Room did a review of it recently. It does seem kinda interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcpozYg_8zI 

Astrosmasher1

Gamestick

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 10th, 2013, 6:10 am

Thanks that makes it look a good laugh and I would like the Raiden game.  It is not out in this country yet (UK).  I might give it a shot. 

Leo1

Gamestick

Postby Leo1 » November 10th, 2014, 10:21 pm

As a fan of classic sprite scaling arcade racers, I think this game looks great.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpNkAPMqamU#t=17[/video]

And GameStop has these systems for only $20, so I'm going to bite the bullet. Any other GameStick owners around here, or will I be the first (And likely, only)?

I'm curious what else might be worth playing. I already have fine versions of the already mentioned Raiden collection, so I'll be skipping that. 

Astrosmasher1

Gamestick

Postby Astrosmasher1 » November 11th, 2014, 1:50 pm

I have one.  The outrun game is quite good fun.

Astrosmasher1

Gamestick

Postby Astrosmasher1 » November 14th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Mainly what happens when you get one is disbelief. All the things it said it would do it does not do.  It is powered by a dual core processor whilst everything that is coming out on Android is powered by Quad Core. 
All the games that were touted as being good are patchy.  Watch the link below and you will see a game called Dead Trigger which was coming out for GS but never did.  Also Aftermath a robotronesque shooter with zombies.  Yep that never came out.
Good games.
Final Freeway
Shadowgun
Raiden
Boulderdash
You cannot do emulation of SNES.  Also there are problems with the blue tooth controller.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7MNVbfz70k

ZetaX1

Gamestick

Postby ZetaX1 » November 17th, 2014, 11:06 am

Well now, this has been a strange week for me (gaming wise.)  First, I go and buy Mario Kart DLC (something I didn't think I'd do), then I go and buy a...drum roll...GAMESTICK!

Called the local Gamestop, they had at least one left, but not for $20...it cost a whopping $17!  So, I figure, what the hell.  Worst case scenario, I'll root it and have a tiny Android computer for my TV.

Okay, quick rundown on the hardware and software...

The "console":  Well, it's tiny.  Sort of like a fat USB drive.  My TVs don't have the latest "powered" HDMI ports, so I've had to use the USB power plug thingy, which is sort of clunky but it works.  Setup was...interesting.  First tried to set it up using a bedroom TV.  The wi-fi connection does not work with WEP encryption (which is what the closest router to it uses), and when I tried connecting to the WPA router on the other side of the house, the connection was too slow to download the initial system update before it timed-out (or the connection was dropped, not sure.)  So, I had to hook it up to the living room TV to do the initial system update.  No biggie, went pretty smoothly, I guess, but a little less convenient.  It is a bit temperamental when it comes to the wi-fi connection, and the controller will disconnect if left unattended for too long (a battery saving feature, I guess.)  It is Android based, but does not have access to the regular Google Play market (or Amazon's Android market, either.)  Overall, not as user friendly as a "real" modern console.

The controller:  Sort of like a wide, squared, Wii classic controller.  Even made of similar shiny white plastic.  Sticks and buttons seem to work well, the D-pad is flat and maybe a little too big, but it works okay.  The 30 foot claim for the bluetooth is wildly optimistic, though.  If I get half that distance away, control gets sporadic.  It is rechargeable via a micro USB port, not sure how long it will run between charges.  Supposedly you can use other bluetooth controllers with it, but I haven't tried that (yet.)

The games:  Two games were free at first, a few others have become free...not sure why, but I downloaded them!
Shadowgun (free): An okay Gears of War-type cover-based shooter.  Probably the best looking game, but pushes the hardware a bit too far at times and the framerate stutters.
Smash Cops (free): A sort of hard to control game where you pursue cars and disable them by running into them.  Sort of like Wreckless on the Xbox, but from an overhead perspective.
Vendetta Online (free):  This game required a large install/update, which I haven't downloaded yet.  Looks like it'll be a space shooter, ala Colony Wars or StarLancer.
Oddy Smog's Misadventure (free):  An "endless climber" (I guess that's what you call these types of games) where you fling yourself up a vertical shaft away from deadly smoke.  Fairly fun, actually.
Stalagflight (free):  Another "endless climber", but this time you jetpack from falling rock to falling rock.  You also control the rotation of the rocks, to try to get aimed for the best jump.  Hard to control, too hard for it's own good...or I just suck at it.
Diversion (free): Sort of like Bit Trip Runner, you control the jumping, the character runs automatically.
Boulder Dash - Full Collection (bought): It comes with several "generations" of Boulder Dash, but I bought it mainly for the original 1984 version.  Does a good job emulating the Atari 800/C-64 game.  Some day I'll try the newer versions, but I'm enjoying the original levels too much.
Final Freeway 2R (bought): A good knock-off of OutRun.  High speed, curvy, hilly roads with lots of scaling things whizzing by.
Raiden Legacy (bought): Four Raiden games.  They look good and control fine.  The sound seems to be missing from the original Raiden game...not sure what that's all about.
Riptide GP (bought): A good Wave Race type jet ski game.  Runs smooth, looks pretty good too.
Night Riders (bought): An okay Hang-On type motorcycle racing game with interesting, minimalist, Tron-inspired graphics.
GameStick Media Player and Tofu Media Center (free): haven't messed with either of these much yet.  The media player will let you view JPEGs and play some video files (not sure which, yet), but doesn't seem to play MP3s or WMAs...maybe OGG files?  Not a big concern, probably won't use it anyway.

So, bottom line.  Between the "console", controller, and games, I'm down about thirty bucks.  I plan on using it as a nice little out of the way game system in the bedroom, and will take it on road trips to "grandma's house" at Thanksgiving.  Might take it in our camper too, though we don't usually even get the TV out when we're camping (unless it's raining like crazy.)  Would I recommend it?  Well, if you like to tinker with things and like the idea of a game system the size of a couple of packs of Juicy Fruit, go for it.  It's never going to replace a proper console, and frankly, you can get some of these games cheaper (or maybe even for free) on an Android tablet.

Leo1

Gamestick

Postby Leo1 » November 18th, 2014, 2:21 am

I wish that Vectrex Regeneration was on this thing. Too bad that hasn't seen a release beyond Apple's mobile line.

[QUOTE=ZetaX]Okay, quick rundown on the hardware and software...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the write up. Looks like I'll have to add the $15 charge dock in order to have wired ethernet (I connect with WEP) and to power the unit since my HDMI port isn't powered. 

There's no always online mandate, is there?

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]You cannot do emulation of SNES. [/QUOTE]

Or homebrew emulation of any kind, correct?

Searching for 'GameStick emulation' in Google yields for its top hit a forum post from here, from our now banned troll with multiple personalities, that claims he had gotten the Android build of MAME up and running on this.

lol

Return to “Video Games General”