Ubisoft and Wii U end of the line?

General and high profile video game topics.
Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » August 19th, 2014, 11:53 am

Well.  I looked at the schedules and it nothing was coming out for the Wii U from them.  They have been shabbily treated my the Wii U fans who only want to play games aimed at younger audiences.  Check out this article from my fave mag http://www.computerandvideogames.com/474692/ubisoft-ceo-says-wii-u-owners-dont-buy-assassins-creed/

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » August 19th, 2014, 2:52 pm

I have a theory as to why gamers avoid buying Assassin's Creed for the Wii U: those ports are terrible.

I also have a theory about why people buy the Wii U: Nintendo's games are very, very good.

There's a huge difference between "all ages" and "younger audiences." Nintendo's target is the former, whereas the latter would connote, say, iCarly or Cooking Mama: games simply and cheaply designed, intended to cash in on children's (supposed) relative ignorance of quality in game design and desire for media tie-ins and games with cute characters sporting loud, flashy graphics.

"Children's games" are corporate cynicism at its worst. They are a big part of what's wrong with the industry today.

Ubisoft seems to have perfected a new development paradigm I like to term "BBB development." That stands for bigbuggy, and bound to  disappoint. Don't get me wrong: I'll be the first to admit that I have a lot of fun with the Assassin's Creed series. That being said, they are B-tier games in absolutely every respect. The writing is just a little bit cheesy, the facial animations just a little bit uncanny, and the graphics just a little bit rough around the edges. The gameplay attempts too much and (understandably) fails to deliver on all of its promises.

What, then, are A-tier games?

It ought to elicit considerable respect that, even in the age of HD, Nintendo's products ship bug free, polished to perfection, and expertly tailored to their native hardware. In an age where frequent software patches threaten your enjoyment at every turn, Nintendo still champions the values it brought to the industry thirty years ago: if it ain't perfectly playable and fun, don't ship it.

In short, Ass. Creed is good, but always leaves you wanting more. Ubisoft should really consider rebooting the series as Stabbing Simulator 20XX in order to capitalize on the one thing the series nails every time. When that desire for something "more" becomes overwhelming, however, I turn off my Xbox, PC, and PS3, light up the fires of my imagination, and go replay the Legend of Zelda for the millionth time.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » August 19th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Well I wanted to say I saw that coming.  Seriously who still buys ass creed.  I bought the first two and was like that is enough.  I did not fancy Watch Dogs but it looks good on PC.
Though it does mean no Far Cry 4 and no Rainbow 6 but they still will make Just Dance for it.

Apparently the Wii U only makes up 3 percent of its software sales so you can see why they would not want to go any further with it. 

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » August 19th, 2014, 4:00 pm

I don't think it's ever good that major third party publishers aren't supporting your system, but on the other hand I don't think Wii U owners are interested in Ubisofts offerings if they were they would buy a PS or Xbox.

Likewise I have very little interest in the Wii U as I'm not a massive fan of Nintendo's games I appreciate them but I much prefer Metal Gear Solid, Fallout, GTA, etc to the latest Mario and Zelda.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » August 19th, 2014, 4:46 pm

I don't like the attitude of Ubisoft so I simply avoid them. It's unfortunate that gaming as a whole is leaning towards a redundant corporate quota.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 19th, 2014, 6:18 pm

I've always hated the AC series and I groaned when I heard that two more titles were in development, both look just as bad as previous games, at this point I don't think it's humanely possible for an AC to not suck.

Nintendo's games aren't always "bug free" though(Super Mario 64 has quite a few glitches).

I feel bad for Wii U owners, but given how poorly third-party titles have sold on the system(which isn't helped by the system itself not selling very well), I honestly can't blame Ubisoft for not wanting to put resources into a port which they know will likely not sell very well.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » August 20th, 2014, 3:15 am

Well, I guess you can kiss that Zombi U sequel goodbye!

This actually is a pretty big loss for Nintendo. But nowhere near as bad as not having the yearly Madden, NHL and FIFA offerings from EA on the Wii U. I still think that's part of the reason why the Dreamcast failed  - no support from EA.   

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » August 20th, 2014, 7:19 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]
Nintendo's games aren't always "bug free" though(Super Mario 64 has quite a few glitches).
[/QUOTE]

It's also a Nintendo 64 game that came out in 1996. Of course it's going to have glitches.

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]Well.  I looked at the schedules and it nothing was coming out for the Wii U from them.  They have been shabbily treated by the Wii U fans who only want to play games aimed at younger audiences.  Check out this article from my fave mag http://www.computerandvideogames.com/474692/ubisoft-ceo-says-wii-u-owners-dont-buy-assassins-creed/[/QUOTE]

I love your thinly veiled way of saying that Nintendo is kiddy. I'd appreciate if you posted this without sounding so condescending, though. 

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 21st, 2014, 5:32 am

I'm just saying it's very misleading to say that no Nintendo game has ever had glitches.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » August 21st, 2014, 8:51 am

[QUOTE=Vexer]I'm just saying it's very misleading to say that no Nintendo game has ever had glitches.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has sold 2.9 billion games, according to http://www.statisticbrain.com/nintendo-company-statistics/. Thats 2.9 Billion in 2011 before the 3DS or WiiU. Of those 2.9 billion, 11 million are Super Mario 64. So subtracting 11 million from 2.9 billion leaves...lets see, really huge thing minus something small is...2.9 billion.

If the most buggy Ninty product you can cite is that, then all hail Nintendo. They should be making medical equipment with that track record. You may not appreciate what tbey make, but they make it at an a stratospheric level of programming integrity.

Return to “Video Games General”