PSP won't read disks

General and high profile video game topics.
ZetaX1

PSP won't read disks

Postby ZetaX1 » September 17th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Well, guess the subject about says it all.  My PSP-1000 "fat" won't read any UMDs. 

I reached in the tray and clicked-down the little silver "loaded UMD" switch, and pressed the little black "safety" button.  The laser lights-up and the lens moves up and down, trying to focus on something.  The spindle that spins the UMD seems to be trying to spin the disk.  The laser unit doesn't seem to move
back and forth though...not sure it would if there's no disk in the tray.

I tried cleaning the lens with a little alcohol on a Q-tip, didn't fix the issue.

Anyone else run across this, and how did you fix it?

kew9820001

PSP won't read disks

Postby kew9820001 » September 17th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Sounds like the laser bit the dust. Not an uncommon problem in the PSPs. You will have to replace the laser with a new one. Brand new ones are roughly $15-$20. It's not difficult to replace yourself. There is a complete guide on how to take your PSP apart on www.ifixit.com. Good luck.

Rev1

PSP won't read disks

Postby Rev1 » September 18th, 2013, 2:04 am

Yeah, this is fairly common problem. Another solution you could try would be to get your PSP modded. If its modded you can skip the whole need for the UMD drive. But Kew gave the other option you can try. I would also try searching around on craigslist and such for people selling their psp's. they are getting cheaper and cheaper right now so if you look out you can snag one for a good deal.

Return to “Video Games General”