If you could resurrect any system...

General and high profile video game topics.
darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 14th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Either the Dreamcast or Sega Saturn, both of them had far too short of a lifespan.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » April 14th, 2012, 10:10 pm

I'll also say TG-16. I just don't think it got a fair chance back in the day. It would be nice for the Dreamcast to come back as well. It was cut down way too early.

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » April 14th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Dreamcast, probably.  It had so much more potential.  Dying due to Sega no longer having the funds to back it, the hype of PS2, and the fact that it wasn't also a DVD player is just too harsh.  It was incredible in the short amount of time it lived, so imagine how insanely awesome it could have been had it survived longer!

Runners Up:
Sega Saturn
NeoGeo
32X
Sega CD
PC Engine

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » April 15th, 2012, 2:07 pm

I'd like a new version of the Game Boy.  I know it had a good, long life, but I still miss it.  

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » April 15th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Here are a few consoles I would have wanted to see given more of a chance:

Vectrex: Way ahead of its time as vector graphics had some good potential and had the best controller of its day. Also didn't need a TV set to play on as the system itself is a screen. Unforunately, it was released too late with an uninspired (but decent) library.

Sega Master System: Graphically superior to the NES and had more power. Too bad the console didn't get much third-party support; it would have been cool for Capcom and Konami sneak in as alias companies, which the latter company did for the NES.

Virtual Boy: Ambitious console that fell under due to the overhyping, rushed design, and birth of the PlayStation generation. Too bad as there were a couple awesome looking games that never released due to its failure.

Sega Neptune: This one is kinda cheating as it was never released. It was a system that combined the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Sega CD, and 32X. In other words, it could have been what the Saturn should've been (if it had just a little more power); a 5th generation console that had backwards-compatibility to Genesis/Mega Drive and CD games.

Neo-Geo Pocket Color: The best battery life in handheld gaming history; 40 hours for only 2 AA-batteries. I think even with the Game Boy Advance, it should have stayed longer than it did; would have made for some decent competition.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 15th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Nice topic.

For me I'd go for the 3DO.  The system had tons of potential and games that stuck to using 2D graphics were actually really good (go play Super Street Fighter II Turbo to see what I mean).  If it were to be resurrected I would make sure it was more focused on 2D games and the thing would have been like a super powerful SNES/Genesis.  The system had the potential to be great, but developers fell in love with producing FMV style games.

For me the runner up would be the Dreamcast.  A great system that never got the respect it deserved.  While short lived it still has one hell of a library...oh what could have been Sega...what could have been...

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 18th, 2012, 10:46 am

Dreamcast and the turboduo for sure. Still, I am glad that the turbo duo has the ability to play imported games (on the cd aspect anyways) because a lot of them I don't need a translator for. As for the Dreamcast, it  still has some games made for it by the fans and burning the imported games to a disc allows you to bypass the region lock... Still I was always hoping for a Burning Rangers Sequel or something on the Dreamcast...

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » April 21st, 2012, 9:37 pm

The SNES. For me this was the pinnacle of home gaming.

pixelated1

Postby pixelated1 » April 29th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Dreamcast. Bring back online support, too.

The runner-up would be Vectrex. It's just so unique, everybody should know about it.
And I agree with you, soporj, the SNES is the absolute pinnacle!!

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 3rd, 2012, 4:29 pm

The Game Boy Advanced never actually had scraped the ceiling per-say, sadly enough evidence of this fact is all over the internet. Quake was supposed to have been released yet Nintendo's preconception in using practical resources kept it from happening. 

Return to “Video Games General”