Maldita Castilla: Single-handedly refreshing my love for classic platformers, and making my Ouya cool...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul1231

Maldita Castilla: Single-handedly refreshing my love for classic platformers, and making my Ouya cool...

Postby Paul1231 » May 6th, 2014, 1:53 am

I don't know if any of you have played this game, which apparently is available on the Ouya and Windows, but it is absolutely amazing for classic gamers like many of us, and I absolutely insist that you find a way to play it.  I recently bought an Ouya almost exclusively for emulation, and while wandering around the menu, looking at some of the Ouya downloadable games, I saw this one, completely free, looking like a legitimate classic Genesis game, so I figured it was a good place to start.  Little did I know it would literally re-energize my passion for classic side-scrolling games in the vein of Ghouls N' Ghosts.  Actually, you can tell it was heavily inspired by Ghouls, but I think it is significantly more fun to play.  The difficulty level is perfect.  The graphics and exactly what they need to be.  And the soundtrack sounds like it was literally composed on a Genesis.  You can tell the people who made it had a love for the classics.  It takes all the good things about those old games, leaving the bad things (like excessive difficulty and certain control issues), and then adds the sensibility of modern perspective, where the developers know what works and what doesn't, and what people like, and what they don't.  I have been having a hard time lately finding a side scroller that could hold my interest long enough to keep me playing past the first level.  This game has me anxious to play through the whole thing a couple times each evening, trying to get a little farther than I did before bed the night before.

I can't recommend it enough.  If you need to, go buy an Ouya at Target.  This game alone has made my Ouya purchase totally worth it.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 6th, 2014, 8:29 am

How is the controller?  That's one of the things that made me hesitate a bit before buying an Ooya.  Can you use other Bluetooth controllers (PS3)?

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » May 6th, 2014, 9:41 am

If you liked MC, I'd highly recommend another polished gem from developer Locomalito: Hydorah http://www.locomalito.com/hydorah.php

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » May 6th, 2014, 10:14 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]How is the controller?  That's one of the things that made me hesitate a bit before buying an Ooya.  Can you use other Bluetooth controllers (PS3)?[/QUOTE]

The controller is definitely interesting. I have the earlier version which is only decent at best. I don't like the lack of precision the D-pad has, and I had some problems with lag until I notified Ouya and they had me send it to the for a firmware update. Still, I usually use a PS3 controller. Supposedly the newer controller fixes the issues of the older one. I like the system. At 100 bucks I easily feel that I have at least gotten my money's worth out of it...

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » May 6th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Think I will wait for the Amazon fire to be released in the UK. 

Return to “Video Games General”