Seems like Nintendo is doing just fine...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » August 21st, 2014, 12:33 am

I have no problem admitting that I root for Nintendo. I would hate to think what the industry would sink into if Nintendo were not there as a constant reminder that games can be fun and bright and happy and imaginative. Having said that, with all the talk around here I have been worrying about Nintendo, and was extremely pleased to see Mario Kart 8 making its mark. But overall it seems like most talk about Nintendo, by way of the slow progress of the Wii U, has them with one foot on the edge of the cliffs of financial ruin and the other on the landmine of irrelevance. But I just went over to vgchartz.com for the first time to look at weekly and overall software and hardware numbers, and if I were coming to the site without any preconceived notions, I would assume that Nintendo was as much, if not more in the game, as the other players, specifically when you factor in the 3DS , which has five games in the top ten in sales. What am I to make of this? And please don't dive into Nintendo hatred or praise, I'm just concerned about their viability because I like and need what they bring to the table if I am to enjoy this hobby as much as I do. Deal with it.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » August 21st, 2014, 12:50 am

I love the Wii U but to say it's been a disappointment is quite the understatement.  It's great for what it is but it's no competitor for the PS4 or Xbone. It's a great console for playing Nintendo games on (regular Wii games included).

Even Ubi Soft and Capcom have dropped support for the Wii U so it's looks like it is what it is.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 21st, 2014, 1:24 am

VGChartz is not a reliable site as their numbers charts are more often then not very inaccurate, so unless you've got a more trustworthy source to back up your statement, i'd say the Wii U is still very much in trouble.

Here's an article on why VGChartz is not reliable.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18919

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » August 21st, 2014, 5:58 pm

The Chartz is only unreliable for early sales data.  They typically correct their numbers in the long run for titles by aligning them with NPD's numbers.  Also note that sales numbers from the typical sources do not include digital copies.

Nintendo's certainly getting squeezed by mobile/tablet on the casual side and the XBone and PS4 on the casually hardcore side, but as a corporation, they're arguably in better health than both Microsoft and Sony, who have both recently made massive layoffs and closed numerous product divisions.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » August 22nd, 2014, 7:06 am

Oh hey it's the trollchartz.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » August 23rd, 2014, 4:08 am

I would not say any of the 'traditional' console makers are doing just fine.

Nintendo is doing great at game quality, and yet their game sales are at an all time low for Wii U, and are disapointing for 3DS. Also the 3DS is having a fairly sharp fall off, and never hit a Nintendo like peak in the first place. So, you have great software products, I would say easily unmatched in the industry, and quite low software sales. That is cause for alarm.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » August 23rd, 2014, 10:22 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]I would not say any of the 'traditional' console makers are doing just fine.

Nintendo is doing great at game quality, and yet their game sales are at an all time low for Wii U, and are disapointing for 3DS. Also the 3DS is having a fairly sharp fall off, and never hit a Nintendo like peak in the first place. So, you have great software products, I would say easily unmatched in the industry, and quite low software sales. That is cause for alarm.[/QUOTE]

Umm, the 3DS has sold 16 million in japan alone. I think Nintendo's doing okay. Sony, meanwhile, has already broken 10 million with the PS4. They're breaking all of their (as well as everyone else's) sales records, and there aren't even any games for the thing yet!

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » August 23rd, 2014, 4:15 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Segatarious]I would not say any of the 'traditional' console makers are doing just fine.

Nintendo is doing great at game quality, and yet their game sales are at an all time low for Wii U, and are disapointing for 3DS. Also the 3DS is having a fairly sharp fall off, and never hit a Nintendo like peak in the first place. So, you have great software products, I would say easily unmatched in the industry, and quite low software sales. That is cause for alarm.[/QUOTE] Umm, the 3DS has sold 16 million in japan alone. I think Nintendo's doing okay. Sony, meanwhile, has already broken 10 million with the PS4. They're breaking all of their (as well as everyone else's) sales records, and there aren't even any games for the thing yet![/QUOTE]

As for Sony, Vita is deader than dead. Complete disaster compared to PSP. PS4 is selling well, a lot of that is from MS backlash,  fine, but we will see how sustained any of the new gen consoles will be. They have lost considerable  market share and customers to cell phones and tablets, every one of them, and that is a fact. Wii U sales are weak in Japan, but, still are two or three times that of the PS4. Japan is not looking good for the future of game consoles. Compare/contrast back to PS2, or Wii. Absolutely terrible.

As far as Nintendo, Wii U has been a very weak seller. This will obviously hamstring Nintendo game sales fro this entire generation. 3Ds is a success, but a muted success. It has already peaked, and will likely fade quite fast.

System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 3DS # |     50.024 |     41.911 |     71.731 |  1.380.827 |  2.335.342 |  16.074.838 |

They are down a million sales from last year at this time.

WIU | 17.717 | 11.266 | 10.951 | 361.270 | 399.097 | 1.879.697 || PS4 | 6.314 | 5.030 | | 655.256 | | 655.256

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » August 23rd, 2014, 7:34 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
 Compare/contrast back to PS2, or Wii. Absolutely terrible. 

[/QUOTE]

No, buddy, the PS4 is wiping the floor with the PS2.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/02/19/ps4-sales-outpace-all-previous-playstation-launches/

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » August 24th, 2014, 7:33 am

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Segatarious]
 Compare/contrast back to PS2, or Wii. Absolutely terrible. 

[/QUOTE]

No, buddy, the PS4 is wiping the floor with the PS2.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/02/19/ps4-sales-outpace-all-previous-playstation-launches/[/QUOTE]

Those numbers are from Japan. PS4 is doing terribad in Japan...  [frown]

PS4 will never come close to PS2.....

Return to “Video Games General”