What I want to hear from Sony at E3

General and high profile video game topics.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 24th, 2012, 8:53 am

I have this theory (and hope) that Sony can sell me a PS3 at this year's E3.  See, the Xbox has surprised me by sticking around a year longer than I thought (remember I always said the new one would be out in 2012).  The next Wii will be, let's be honest, likely about the same as the 360 graphically.  That leaves me to wonder what Sony will do. 

They just let go 10,000 employees or something because their financial house is not in great order.  They also just started profiting on the PS3 three years ago or something.  So it seems to me that releasing a new console (which is really, really, really expensive to do, and wipes out your profits on hardware sales directly for a few years) might not be their best, or most necessary move. 

Their closest graphical competitior isn't surpassing them grpahically until next year.  The Wii U is likely not going to surpass their current system by much (if at all) graphically.  So here is what I want from Sony.

I want them to say "We are not releasing a new Playstation this year.  We are not releasing one next year.  In fact, we are also not releasing one the year after that.  We don't need to.  The PS3 IS next generation.  That is our platform.  We're sticking with it."  Or something like that.

If they committed to NOT upgrade for the next few years, they'd sell me a PS3 as my next generation system.  I'd love to buy a PS3 on sale again this Christmas for like $199 and know it'd be getting all new stuff until 2014-2015.  Maybe I'm just cheap, but I'd really like to see that. 

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » April 24th, 2012, 10:45 am

As a PS3 owner, I'd like to see that as well. I'm cheap as well and have no interest in getting a PS4 anytime soon. If Sony kept supporting the PS3 and only the PS3 we might finally get to see the hardware used to its full potential. As seen in games such as Uncharted 2, the PS3 has capabilities that far exceed its current competitors that are rarely tapped.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 24th, 2012, 11:32 am

[QUOTE=David]Everything that "insiders" havereported on is that Sony wants to be the first out of the gate. [/QUOTE]

I've seen that too.  But here's the play I think they might be missing (and I think it's a big one).

The WiiU will basically be graphically a PS3/360.  It might be a little beyond them, or a little short, but Nintendo doesn't care (and neither do I).  The 720 will be out in mid to late 2013 probably.  That leaves the landscape for 2012 and most of 2013 with all systems at the same level graphically. 

Then the 720 comes out.  That leaves one "next gen" system, and three with "old gen" graphics. 

Now suppose you are a developer.  You can make a game and put it on just one system, or on four.  As the 360 showed, most early games will be graphical upgrades of games on the old systems for the first bunch of months anyway.  So, imagine if Sony told everyone (developers included) "we're stopping here for awhile."

Now developers can make games for cheaper than the 720 games, and know they will be sellable on the WiiU (for years and years) and for the Playstation brand for at least 3 more years.  Also, given that the PS3 is already using Blu-Ray, already has some Steam integration, is already ahead graphically, and has now updated to be a 3D Blu-Ray player, how long will it be before the 720 really, really noticeably surpasses it?

If they hold, don't they make it a situation where developers have to decide to ignore the WiiU AND PS3 completely for the smaller (early on for sure) 720 market?  Or at best doesn't it force them to make games for the PS3 and WiiU, and simply "upgrade" the 720 version?  And all this time, Sony and Nintendo make money on hardware and software, while Microsoft has to put it's software money back into paying off the console "loss leader." 

I just think if they hold, they sort of force Microsoft to assume all the risk of the next generation, while helping (with the WiiU) to starve it for air with developers and publishers. 

Then, they can ride in in 2015 or so with a campaign like "The Next Generation starts now!" 

I don't know, I just see a lot of developers and publishers afraid of the next generation development costs, a "this generation" Wii U (from a wealthy, media darling Nintendo), low cost options for developers (like Steam, Kickstarter, iOS, Android), and I think maybe jumping in right yet might not be something that is needed or wise.

Everyone can certainly wait, and you can no longer count on developers and publishers heading off with you, when they can make a bazillion dollars making phone games about tossing birds at pigs.  

Again, they could stick it out with current technology (and their upgraded software stuff like 3D Blu-Ray, Steam, etc.) and let Microsoft try to usher in a next generation alone.  If Microsoft fails because no one follows, Sony basically wins.  If Microsoft starts to run away with it, it's not like no developers are going to make games at the PS3 level.  They already will be for Wii U anyway (of course with special touchscreen content, but still, the same graphically).   

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » April 24th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Honestly, if all the next gen offers is a graphics upgrade, you can count me out for a REALLY long time.  Graphics are more than good enough for me to get lost in a game right now.  I need to REALLY be able to justify something to myself before I will take the leap, and being an early adopter of a new console is not high on my priority list when I could just get a 360 to go along with my PS3 and open up a whole other library of games I haven't played yet.  And unless they come up with something REALLY juicy, I think alot of people might feel the same way, especially if the console is over $300 to start with.

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » April 24th, 2012, 1:05 pm

I agree.  I'm so backlogged right now that I truly don't even want the next gen to start.  I would love for Sony to stick by the PS3 for two or so more years, have it be the cheapest console on the market, and make some money.  Especially if the Wii U is graphically only a little better or a little worse than what PS3 is capable of.  No reason to jump the gun, go back into the red again with new tech that costs too much to manufacture, and abandon the PS3 which still has so much to offer.

I will be so surprised if Sony DOES come out with PS4 within the next year or two.  It just seems illogical to me.  Make money on what PS3 can do, gather hardcore developer support, and rake in the profits...THEN come out with PS4 later down the line with tech that blows 720 out of the water.  And then of course stick by the PS4 for about a decade or so like they did with PS1 and PS2 

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » April 24th, 2012, 1:50 pm

I'm backlogged like crazy, too.  Like many of you, I jumped into this generation really late (2010) and have had so many high quality titles to keep me busy that I can't imagine jumping into next generation for a while (when it gets here).  But I'm afraid Sony can't settle on appeasing just a handful of people by sticking with the same system they've had for 6 years.  The reason Sony lost so much of their user base to the 360 was because Microsoft jumped into the high-def next generation a full year before Sony did.  Sony has said themselves that they've been playing catch up ever since and they've made it known that it will only be a difference of a couple of months between the release of the PS4 and the 720.  That's the way it is.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 24th, 2012, 2:56 pm

[QUOTE=JWK] The reason Sony lost so much of their user base to the 360 was because Microsoft jumped into the high-def next generation a full year before Sony did.  Sony has said themselves that they've been playing catch up ever since and they've made it known that it will only be a difference of a couple of months between the release of the PS4 and the 720.  That's the way it is.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm pretty sure the reason had very little to do with that time lag.  The SNES came out 2 years after the Genesis and sold more.  The 2600 came out after the Channel F and sold more.  The Playstation came out after the 3D0 and Jaguar and sold more.  The Ps2 came out after the Dreamcast and sold more.  In most generations, first out is not first place. 

I think the price point had a whole lot more to do with Sony's fortunes.  At launch, the PS3 was markedly more expensive than the Wii or 360.  That trend has continued, unaltered, until right this minute.  You sell less of things that cost more.  In advance of the launch many people (myself included for anyone who has been here a long time) pointed out that the high price point was likely to effect sales.  Other people pointed out all kinds of things like how it was "cheap for a Blu-Ray player," "pwns the Wii," "costs less than a 360 if you buy a rocket ship to attach to the 360," etc.  I said that people buy things based on what it costs to buy other, similar things.  You could get a Core 360 and a Wii (with a game) for the price of a PS3.  That is not where you want to be price wise. 

That's why I think they could hurt Microsoft by not releasing a new system.  They have wiggle room left on the PS3 price and can either make zero dollars on it, or lose a small amount and then drastically cut prices.  The new 720 is going to have to cost way more than what Sony can afford to charge for a PS3.     

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 24th, 2012, 5:55 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Other people pointed out all kinds of things like how it was "cheap for a Blu-Ray player," "pwns the Wii," "costs less than a 360 if you buy a rocket ship to attach to the 360," etc.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, MigAlley is not here to defend himself.

Return to “Video Games General”