What I want to hear from Sony at E3

General and high profile video game topics.
Robotnik1

Postby Robotnik1 » April 24th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Honestly I think we will soon here that Sony is kaput!

They want to focus on games, mobile, and digital imaging. I have no idea how they will do in digital imaging. They will be dominated in the mobile space. MS is beating Sony in the US and Nintendo is BURYING Vita in Japan. Game space not looking hot for them.

It's too late! On the  plus side, could SEGA get back in the game? Its crazy and unlikely, but I think it could happen if Sony bows out!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 24th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Sony's not going anywhere and Sega's never getting back into the console business. Heck, Sega's in pretty dire financial straits as it is so I'm not sure where you think the money would come from. There's no way that they could ever line up the billions needed to establish themselves as a console manufacturer even at the height of their financial success over the past decade. The barriers of entry are simply far too high these days. Other than Apple, there's virtually nobody else with deep enough pockets to consider it these days.

Only way we're ever going to get another console that says Sega on it is if a company like Sony decides to distance the Sony name from consoles and purchases Sega to brand its console lineup with. Not completely out of the realm of remote possibilities with the difficulties Sony has been having and the poor financial conditions at Sega.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 24th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Atarifever - I like where your head is at.

A lot of people thought the current generation started too early because there was still plenty of juice left in the PS3/Xbox/GC.  Likewise I don't think gamers are pining for the next generation right now.

In fact I think the PS3 is just finally reaching its stride.  It has a nice library with plenty of exclusive titles.  Most of the issues that plagued early PS3 games (long load times, require installation) have subsided.

And I agree that graphics alone are not going to cut it.  It's been a long time since I've heard "This is a great game, but I wish the graphics were higher in resolution!"

Instead of worrying about hardware maybe these companies should focus on software, and come out with some original titles instead of the same old sequels and reboots.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » April 25th, 2012, 4:49 am

I think that Sony is in a very good position right now since Microsoft doesn't seem to have very many good exclusives left, at least not when compared to what Sony has right now and coming soon.

I'm pretty sure the PS Move will also outlast Microsoft's Kinect.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 25th, 2012, 9:58 am

I highly doubt that, Kinnect is far outselling Move, and Sony dosen't seem to care that much about it either, as i've rarely ever seen any TV commercials advertising it, whereas I see ads for Kinnect all the time. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 25th, 2012, 10:36 am

Sorry to stay on this, but another thought struck me today (that's a lot of them in one week! ).

If you think about it, Microsoft and Nintendo, as it now stands, have stepped out of the traditional console cycle.  Microsoft released the 360 in 2005, and won't release the successor until 2013.  In Christmas shopping seasons, that is 8 seasons on one platform, before you even replace it.  That is a long time backing the one and only horse.  Even systems that have had really long life spans (the 2600, PS1, etc) have been replaced after five or six Christmases (I prefer to think of them this way, as that is when most of the companies' promotions happen).  Even the mighty NES came out here in 1985 and was sharing shelf space with the SNES 7 years later, and the same thing with the PS2 with only 7 years alone as well.  Most systems were replaced even quicker (PS1 1995 - PS2 2000; Master System 1986 - Genesis 1989, etc).  And unlike the PS2-PS3 transition, or the NES - SNES one, Microsoft released no portable system in the meantime.  They did a hardware launch in 2005, and no more until 2013.  That's a big deal.

Meanwhile, the Wii and now Wii U released at about average between console times.  The Gamecube and Wii were replaced exactly when you would expect.  However, with both the release of the Wii and (likely) the Wii U, Nintendo released new hardware that was actually full of fairly old graphical technology.  They release a "this gen" system, just as the world moves on to the next graphical generation.  (The DS and to an extent 3DS also do this).  This has allowed them to step out of the traditional cycle in that they can release a system without worrying about the other guys' specs.  They can still release a new system every five or six years, but over time, that can lead to them releasing all alone, and slightly more frequently than the others.  When the other guys' specs don't matter to you, you also don't have to worry about their release dates.

Where does this leave Sony?  They released a year AFTER the 360, and according to a lot of reports are looking to release now AHEAD of the 720.  That leaves them the traditional length of a life cycle, while also trying to compete for graphics.  To me, that seems like a way to box yourself into a small niche. 

Want a new cheap to buy system, with a new (and I mean this in the best way) gimmick attached every 5 or 6 years?  Buy Nintendo.  Want a long lived system that won't be replaced for years?  Go Microsoft.  Want... um... an expensive system to be replaced in five or six years? No?

Again, this is just silly armchair CEO stuff from me, but it strikes me that, if Sony really is aiming to replace the PS3 that early, they are the only ones still playing a game no one else seems to like.  I can't help thinking there must be a reason the other companies decided that was no longer a viable option.   

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » April 25th, 2012, 10:52 am

True Atarifever.  Maybe you should run Sony.

Or Atari....

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 25th, 2012, 12:38 pm

[QUOTE=Pacman000]True Atarifever.  Maybe you should run Sony.

Or Atari....

[/QUOTE]

If I ran either of those they'd go under in five minutes.  I'd do the things I wanted, rather than the things that needed doing.  The investors probably give them little choice in what they do anyway when you get right down to it. 

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » April 25th, 2012, 2:14 pm

I agree with the Playstation 3 lasting another two years as well. 

I don't personally feel like we scraped the ceiling. Graphics isn't a stopping point. 

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » April 25th, 2012, 3:25 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]I agree with the Playstation 3 lasting another two years as well.  I don't personally feel like we scraped the ceiling. Graphics isn't a stopping point. 
[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah.  PS3 has more untapped potential for the next couple of years.  When it comes to graphics, I don't feel the need for anything better than what we've already got.  I remember when Dreamcast came out and I thought to myself, "This is it...I don't need graphics to be any better than this for the rest of my life."  I'm totally fine with old graphic tech 

Return to “Video Games General”