I got a Wii U

General and high profile video game topics.
Tron1

I got a Wii U

Postby Tron1 » April 27th, 2014, 6:28 pm

Congratulations to you sir. Don't forget zombie u.

Rev1

I got a Wii U

Postby Rev1 » April 27th, 2014, 6:42 pm

I actually had problems connecting to the router as well. I put in the password like 15 times before it finally took... Hope this isn't a sign of the Smash Bros 4 online service (probably is though).

Vexer1

I got a Wii U

Postby Vexer1 » April 27th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Weallmissedme- 20 minutes is still less then 40 minutes, and it's only one update.

Paul1231

I got a Wii U

Postby Paul1231 » April 29th, 2014, 4:02 pm

That's weird. I just set up one for a client the other day and the updates took WAY less time than that. I know one of the early updates was almost exclusively for putting in a faster UI that didn't take so long to load up the main screen after using something else like the eShop and stuff like that, and it made a big difference. So unless we can confirm that these more recent Wii U consoles already come with that update pre-installed, I would have to advise that you get online for the updates, at the very least.

And doesn't the Wii U have the option to connect to your router with the WPS? Assuming your router has this, it should sidestep alot of problems. S that might arise from doing it manually...

Paul1231

I got a Wii U

Postby Paul1231 » April 29th, 2014, 4:05 pm

I don't really have any problems waiting for normal console updates with a brand new console, and calling it a "nightmare" seems a bit dramatic. What I hate is updates to a new game that keep me from playing for 20 minutes after I first put it in, when I only have 30 minutes allotted for gaming that night. I expect a few console updates at first.

Atarifever1

I got a Wii U

Postby Atarifever1 » April 30th, 2014, 5:40 am

[QUOTE=Paul123]I don't really have any problems waiting for normal console updates with a brand new console, and calling it a "nightmare" seems a bit dramatic. What I hate is updates to a new game that keep me from playing for 20 minutes after I first put it in, when I only have 30 minutes allotted for gaming that night. I expect a few console updates at first. [/QUOTE]
I wouldn't normally be this dramatic about it, but nightmare is pretty close. I don't want to feel that way, because I love the Wii U. However, here are my problems:

1) There was a physical card in the box that said when the console asked me to update or not, "update" meant to update and "cancel" meant to update IN THE BACKGROUND! Cancel update means "update better." What?

2) I pressed "update" because I thought it might be faster. Once I saw how slow the bar moved, I wanted to go back and hit "cancel" to, apparently, update in the background. I could not go back. "Oh," I thought, "must be impossible to interrupt without hurting the console."

3) The update was dropped multiple times when my Wifi was dropped (not a big problem in all the hours and hours since the first night). After it dropped I could, in fact, choose cancel on the update, AND the amount of the update I had already downloaded DID NOT disappear from the bar. Why, then, I couldn't interrupt that myself to go back and click "cancel" is beyond me.

4) The bar would say things like "five minutes remaining" that would actually take 30 minutes. I know those things are inaccurate, but being off by 600% is pretty terrible.

5) When I did tell the system I wanted to download in the background while I played games, I went and tried to play the Mario game, from Nintendo, that came boxed with the console I was using. It said I couldn't play until after the system updated! It said the same thing when I went to use the eShop or Miiverse. So updating the the background, apparently, allows you to look at the "channels" screen and do absolutely nothing else at all. If there was a way around this, the system didn't tell me.

6) I wanted to get set up on Miiverse (and to share my eShop credit across 3DS and Wii U). I could not tell if my main Mii had to be the same to do that, and if my nickname had to be the same, or if my Miiverse name and eShop name were at all connected. The system did not make this clear in any way, and the material that came with it wasn't clear. I agonized over this during setup, because I have heard that if you screw it up, you are out of luck fixing it.

7) The update took HOURS much of that time spent watching a bar fill that lied, by many times over, about how long this was taking, even when it wasn't dropping the connection. At one point I told my wife I had a few minutes left and an hour later when she asked I said "a few minutes." There was no way to get any useful information out of the system for any part of any update, to any piece of software.

8) AFTER the terrible main update I went to play the game that came with the system and to use the software on there already (netflix, etc.) to try them out. By this time (I have to game after the kids are asleep), it is midnight, on the morning after I got all excited about this console. The game told me for all of these things separately there was an update! These were brief, but still.

Now, maybe I got the wrong version of the system, after the worst ever update, in the wrong region or something, but for me the update process meant after I hooked the system up, I essentially had a day where all I did was update it.

It isn't my worst update experience. That was when Microsoft filled almost my entire flash memory on my 360 Arcade system to update the UI. That wasn't just annoying, but was actually immoral I think. To sabotage your customers ability to play without a HDD, after you sell them a system promising they don't need it, that has storage built in to avoid that very thing, you've pretty much topped out on the worst update all time list.

Also, I don't have an Xbox One or a PS4, so maybe they have similar problems. All I know is I absolutely hated the Wii U the first night I had it, I was kept from gaming on it for hours, and despite being a gamer for about 29 years, I was totally confused by the process. That was not good at all.

Vexer1

I got a Wii U

Postby Vexer1 » April 30th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Wow that sounds painful, never knew about the 360 arcade thing though.

weallmissedme1

I got a Wii U

Postby weallmissedme1 » April 30th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Also Darkrage, you can play games without updating the system.

Sut1

I got a Wii U

Postby Sut1 » April 30th, 2014, 2:49 pm

I'm trying to remember the updates when I got my PS4, I'm sure it just worked away in the background whilst I shot up some Helghast on Killzone. I could be wrong there might have been an initial update but I sure can't recall. All I know it's a damn sight better the PS3 ever was during updates.

Thanks for the info on the 360 arcade, I know to avoid that model if I decide to pick one up.

ActRaiser1

I got a Wii U

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 30th, 2014, 4:02 pm

If it's any consolation the Wii U was easier to setup than the Xbox One.  Although, if I remember correctly the download took longer on the Wii U.  Although, with the initial production runs out of the way, who knows.  You may have just had bad luck.

On the Xbox One the only major pain in the rear is manually entering your SSID for the WiFi as it's too dumb to display the broadcasting list.  I'll hazard they will improve the process going forward.

As for the 360 Arcade, you can use a 32 GB USB thumb drive to backup or download games to it.  If you find the console for a good deal then go for it.  The thumb drives can be had for well under $20 with some going for as little as $13.

Return to “Video Games General”