System per generation

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut1

System per generation

Postby Sut1 » April 22nd, 2012, 11:04 am

After looking at my heaving, disorganised games shelfs, I have decided to declutter, sell some odd's and end's and basically have one system per generation. I am going to tell you why I've made my choice and ask your viewpoints on the one i'm undecided one, plus if you were to narrow your collections down the same way - what would you choose and why ?

Generation 1/2:  This is the one where i'm still abit up in the air, i'm pretty convinced that I will stick with the Spectrum.

Systems owned: ZX Spectrum (50+ games), Adman Grandstand (Channel F to you guys on the other side of the Atlantic) 4 games and the Philips G7000 (Odyssey 2) 10 games.

Ok take into account i'm from the UK and home computers were dominant in this period not consoles and although i'm now in my thirties and would rather have a console to just plug into my TV than a computer my wife doesn't allow me to leave out, I just grew up with a Spectrum and enjoyed it immensely. Plus the fact I can now load games digitally from my iPhone and get round the infamous R-Tape loading error issue, plus it's library is by far the most extensive of the systems I have from this era. 

Adman Grandstand - now I like this mainly because of the controllers (I really like those controllers), but the library is small, difficult to obtain and lacking in quality. However it does fit my one console per generation decision and has the plug in play quality that home computers lack.

Philips G7000 (Sold) - This is going, don't really like any of the games, the controllers feel lightweight and it's one ugly looking system!

Generation 3: OK let me make this disclosure early I love Sega's arcade style gameplay and this does reflect in my choices.

Choice: Sega Master System
Again taking into account i'm from the UK, the NES wasn't the dominant force here that it was in the US (I'd have to check but I believe the Master System actually outsold the NES here). Although I did own this console back in the day it wasn't for very long for two reasons, the Spectrum had a really long lifespan here and I didn't get the urge to upgrade early, then when I did, I quickly upgraded again to the 16-bit systems. So the reasons I make this choice is I want to go back and see what I missed and for the fact it has the best home console versions of R-Type and Shinobi ! (the PC Engine/Turbografx wasn't released here).

Sold: Amstrad GX4000
Mediocre console, medicore games that I can get on my Spectrum plus the games are incredibly difficult !

Generation 4: My recently acquired Sega Multi-Mega wins hands down here, I had a Mega Drive, Mega CD, 32x and Atari ST back in the day. Boy were Sega in their pomp in this period ! This is a no-brainer for the style of games I enjoy and is still my favourite generation to date, Shinobi trilogy, SOR2, SF2, Silpheed, Core's Mega CD games - Love it !

Atari ST (Died and games for sale). Now this is the system I upgraded to from my Master System and I loved it, really loved it ! I got a Mega Drive when my ST died back in the day. I have purchased two more ST's since I got into retrogaming but they have both suffered the same fate as my original ST did back all those years ago. Therefore if I had to choose I would probably still go with the Mega Drive, but also due to the obvious reliability issue and problems with getting working floppy disks these days - my ST gaming will be limited to emulation only from now on.

As I already voiced my opinion that the 16-bit era is one of my favourites and if you had a SNES, Mega Drive, Amiga or ST you would have plenty of fun, quality games to choose from.  

Generation 5: My Sega bias remains unabated and still owning my original Saturn, this console is going nowhere and has had more mileage than another electrical appliance in my home! It is also the console I have invested most heavily in, with regards to games (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3 and Deep Fear) and the only game I still really want it is Burning Rangers, aside from my PS2 I have the most games for the Saturn (this is the system I had when I started work so I was able to spend my own money on the games, rather than waiting for gifts or saving my paper round money as with my previous systems).

I have a couple of PS1 games, but the Saturn met all my gaming needs in this period. I picked up a second hand N64 a couple of years back, but again Sega's arcade style games float my boat more than Nintendo's offerings (That's not a criticism of Nintendo, just a personal opinion, I am aware there are many great games for Nintendo systems) and subsequently sold it.

Generation 6:  Sorry Sega, but Sony finally got to me in this generation soon as I saw Gran Turismo 3, Pro Evolution Soccer and the fact I would get a DVD player into the bargain I was sold! Again as I had this system in my mid - late twenties disposal income wasn't a problem (until the wife, mortgage and kids came along!) . Plus the advent of the compilation collections such as Capcom Classics, Atari Anthology etc. The cutting edge games, mixed with a sprinkling of the classics and a nice couple of reboots made the PS2 an obvious choice.

I did briefly have a Gamecube but again, didn't see anything it could offer me over the PS2 and subsequently sold it.

Generation 7: I purchased a PS3 6 months after launch, along with a Wii for my daughter. I have no regrets over my decision and like my opting for the PS2 because of the DVD capability swung my decision in the last generation, so did the inclusion of a Blu-ray player do so here over Microsoft's beast (although stories of reliability issues with the 360 also being a factor) the games have been good, but I can't say this generation has hit me as much as the previous ones, maybe i'm just getting old ?
Regarding the Wii, well it's not mine but the times I have been on it have been fun with the party games, but would I sit down at 10pm at night when the kids and wife are in bed to play Wii ? No I wouldn't. 

So as you can see alot of my decisions are based on the fact which system I had back in the day along with my realisation i'm never going to have the time to have every system and play every great game ever released, so I am just going to enjoy 1 systems best offerings from each of videogaming generations to fulfil my gaming requirements.

Generation 1/2:  ZX Spectrum or Adman Grandstand
Generation 3:     Sega Master System
Generation 4:     Sega Multi-Mega (Poss 32x coming later)
Generation 5:     Sega Saturn
Generation 6:     PS2
Generation 7:     PS3

Note: I also have a Game Boy Advance SP and an iPhone so I can always pick up some missed classics from other systems on those (Yes majority of my apps on iPhone are retro games, despite it offering some new gameplay experiences).

What systems would you choose and why ?    

soporj1

System per generation

Postby soporj1 » April 22nd, 2012, 1:09 pm

First generation: Don't care
Second generation: Intellivision
Third generation: NES
Fourth generation: SNES
Fifth generation: PlayStation
Sixth generation: Dreamcast
Seventh generation: XBox 360

It pains me to list a Sony product, but the fifth generation was a relatively weak field.

Suplexmachine1

System per generation

Postby Suplexmachine1 » April 22nd, 2012, 1:17 pm

I didn't have first-hand experience with the 1st Gen, so I won't comment on that.

But...

2nd Gen: Atari 2600 - My Grandparents had one and I would play it with my cousins when we were visiting.  I definitely remember playing a lot of Ghostbusters, BugerTime, and some tank game.
3rd Gen: NES - This is when video games really started to sink their teeth into me.  Glassics like Mario, Zelda, Contra, Double Dragon, Punch Out, Metroid, and other games not-so-classic like Top Gun, T&C Surf Design, Air Fortress, TMNT, Robocop, and Little Nemo the Dream Master.
4th Gen: Genesis - This is when I became a Sega head.  Sonic, Virtua Racing, Street Fighter II CE, Earthworm Jim, Beavis & Butthead, Aladdin, Mortal Kombat, Streets of Rage, Sports Talk Baseball, Ecco, etc.  But...I do recognize SNES as the better console.  Both were insanely awesome!
5th Gen: Saturn - Became a Sega Fanboy!  NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, Panzer Dragoon series, Virtua Fighter 2, Vampire Savior, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, Astal, Enemy Zero, Sega Rally, Virtual On, etc.  Favorite console of all time.  I would def pick Saturn over N64, but of course PSX actually has the better library than both and just crushes.  In reality PSX > SS > N64.
6th Gen: Dreamcast - Still a card-carrying Sega fanboy.  Sonic Adventure, VF3tb, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, DOA2, MDK2, SFIII, Last Blade 2, VOOT, Ikaruga, etc.  2nd favorite console of all time.  PS2 rocked this gen though, and I also really enjoyed Gamecube and Xbox.
7th Gen: Currently not sure - I haven't played enough this gen to figure out which console I like better.  Wii has awesome exclusives and GCN support, XBLA is NUTS with so many rad games, PS3 has incredible exclusives as well.

N64Dude1

System per generation

Postby N64Dude1 » April 22nd, 2012, 1:21 pm

I already own a Saturn for the 5th,a GameCube for the 6th,and a DS for the 7th

But if I was starting from scratch

Skip the first gen

2nd: Atari 2600 

3rd: NES 

4th: This one's too hard to decide 

4.5: Jaguar 

5th: Nintendo 64

6th: Dreamcast 

7th: Still Nintendo DS

Blueguy1

System per generation

Postby Blueguy1 » April 22nd, 2012, 1:32 pm

First/2nd Gen: Played Atari 2600

3rd Gen: Play my uncle's Nes

4th Gen: Sega Genesis

5th Gen: Own a Nintendo 64, and a Game Boy Color. Obviously I prefer the N64, but I love both

6th Gen: Own a Gamecube and a PS2. I prefer the PS2 because of it's more diverse library, but I also love the Gamecube. Technically the DS also comes in here I guess. Also own the Game Boy Advance, which I also love.

7th Gen: Own a Wii, and a 360. I prefer the Wii for first party games, but the 360 for third party games. DS as well

8th Gen: I own a 3DS, which is awesome 

PinMike86661

System per generation

Postby PinMike86661 » April 22nd, 2012, 8:25 pm

Here are my favorite consoles per generation (I apologize how big this post will get):

2nd: Colecovision

A very awesome machine for its time, including an awesome selection of impressively-made arcade and computer ports. Even today, there are ports that haven't been available elsewhere; Frenzy and Pepper II come to mind. While the Atari VCS/2600 had more balanced library, Coleco's Expansion Module 1 could play those games; same controller port as well. By comparison, the Astrocade, Intellivsion, and Odyssey 2 all had more limited libraries (with the same inconsistencies) compared to Atari and Coleco's systems. The Vectrex was released far too late to make a huge impact. The worst aspect with this console is the controllers; clunky and hand-cramping, to say the least. Then again, this generation wasn't particularity known for great controllers.

3rd: NES

My 2nd all-time favorite Nintendo console. Durability aside, this console had all the tools and variety to make its competition irrelevant; very well represented all genres (with the exception to light-gun games) with a huge backing of 3rd-party designers (the majority were contractually obligated with Nintendo) and had a solid controller to play those games well with. By comparison, the Sega Master System didn't have the third-party support to compete (even though it was more powerful), while the Atari 7800 was a machine released way past its time with a mostly-samey game library (due to the primitive hardware) with mediocre (at best) controllers; the Atari 2600 library was actually more popular during this generation (especially since the 7800 was backwards compatible to the older software). The worst aspect with this console is the reliance of modding the console; the 72-pin connector needs replacing once in a few years. Another gripe I have is this console introduced the gaming realm to region-locking; unless you mod the console, you will need to buy a foreign console to fully enjoy the experience.

4th: Super NES/Famicom

My favorite generation with what is considered as the greatest console of all-time. I somewhat disagree with that, but it's still as good as older consoles can get. Even with a slow processor (which caused slowdown for action and platforming games), this console represented every genre quite well (especially on the Super Famicom). I'm mixed on how this console contends against the NES; as far as games released in the USA goes, the NES wins vastly over the Super NES due to far more Japanese releases from their 3rd-parties. However, the Super Famicom had quite a few games that never made it over in the western markets; too bad as there were some awesome games such as Macross: Scramble Valkyrie and Rockman & Forte. By comparison, the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive is an excellent console that was rather lacking 3rd-party support, but represented all genres well (with arguably the best 1st-party development in gaming history) and sported nice controllers. The PC-Engine/Turbo Grafx-16 had too small of a library to compete against Nintendo and Sega; however, it still had a good, sizable library with the best CD-ROM games for its time. The worst aspect with this console is the North American library being a bit more limited compared to the Japanese selection. This generation was also the intro to handheld gaming, which is awesome.

5th: PlayStation

Personally, my least favorite generation; tied with the 6th generation. While I feel the PlayStation and Saturn offered better CD-ROM experiences compared to consoles before, I don't think this generation was anything too special. Don't get me wrong, there were some unique experiences from all major home consoles; however, I feel around this point developers were emphasizing cinematics and stories over creative gameplay due to the huge jump in technology (especially with the hype of both Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid series). The Saturn had more games that appealed to me and was less focused on technology since it wasn't as powerful (in terms of 3D-processing) as its competitors'. That said, I still pick the PlayStation over the Saturn due to representing all genres well enough and sporting more creative games than Sega's console. By comparison, the Nintendo 64 had strong 3D processing with some excellent and creative games but ultimately lacked strong 3rd-party support (which was odd since both the NES and Super NES had a strong roster); Nintendo still faces this issue today (with their handhelds being the exception). The worst aspect with this console is the earlier models weren't very durable with constant disc-read errors.

6th: Game Boy Advance & PlayStation 2 (tie)

Tied with the previous generation as my least favorite. While the PlayStation 2 is a very good console since it had built-in backwards compatibility (the first console since the Atari 7800 to have it), I pick the Game Boy Advance due to sporting more creative games and backwards-compatibility to the older Game Boy software (which is still very good); however, their lineup of games is more limited compared to a good major console (which is common with handhelds). My pros and cons with the PS2 is the same ones I have for the PS1; too focused on RPGs (I like the genre okay, but not in love with it) and cinematics, but still had good representation from all genres. By comparison, the Dreamcast faded out too quickly to compete as 3rd-parties jumped right over to the PlayStation 2; the two major rivals, the Game Cube and Xbox had unique games of their own, but faltered due to lack of 3rd-party support (Game Cube) nor represented all genres (both Game Cube and Xbox). The Game Cube, in particular had a controller with very weird design; inconsistent analog stick shape (one bigger than the other), small (and inconveniently-placed) d-pad, somewhat stiff shoulder triggers, and (in my opinion) the worst face button placements in gaming history. I'm also not sold on all three consoles' analog sticks. They felt too slippery (with exception to the Xbox) and the Xbox sticks had a little much throw than I would have liked.

7th: Xbox 360 & Nintendo DS (tie)

Quite a contender for my personal favorite generation. I absolutely love the Xbox 360 due to its huge array of shmups and downloadable software; both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network represented all genres well. I chose the Xbox 360 way over the PlayStation 3 due to better game selection (both retail and downloadable) and superior controller; the best analog sticks ever made and I honestly don't mind the Xbox 360 d-pad (especially the Japanese one). By comparison, the Nintendo Wii and PS3 offer strong 1st-party software with both consoles sporting unique and creative games as well as the ability to download older software; however both fell short of 3rd-party support (especially the Wii) and lacked the huge roster of games the Xbox 360 had (possibly due to both consoles experimenting with motion controls, which is controversial among gamers). The worst aspect with this console is the durability (Red Ring of Death); however, that issue has been taken care of (I think).

The Nintendo DS was one of the best handhelds ever created; huge backing from major and smaller companies, unique control scheme (but kept buttons to prevent complaints about being too gimmicky), and backwards-compatible to the great Game Boy Advance lineup (which was phased out on the DSi). Unlike Nintendo's previous handhelds (which were awesome for what they were), the Nintendo DS can easily stand among the best of what console gaming has to offer (even without Game Boy Advance compatibility); most genres had great representation. By comparison, the Sony PlayStation Portable didn't offer as much unique software as the DS and feels awkward on the hands (stiff all-around); still has a sizable roster of games worth owning (as good as a non-Nintendo handheld could get). The worst aspect of the Nintendo DS is the phasing of backwards-compatibility and region-locking (with the DSi line); especially the latter.

8th: Nintendo 3DS (by default)

This could very well be the best handheld console of all-time; decent controls (which Nintendo has always had with this platform), nice backwards-compatibility to an already very powerful DS library (including 95% of the DSiWare games), the ability to download older games via the Virtual Console, and an improving selection of 3DS exclusives.  By comparison, the PlayStation Vita seems to fall in the same mold as the PSP; awesome hardware, but limited selection of games you can't find similarly on the 3DS; however, iOS gaming (especially with the iPad models) has vastly improved since 2008 and could definitely threaten Nintendo's 3rd-party dominance. I think Nintendo will be just fine (especially since it has buttons). The worst aspect with this one is the battery-life; the lowest in Nintendo's 20+ year history of the platform.

The 1st generation is essentially Mesozoic period of console gaming and have never played or owned any console from that era.

Like I said at the start, sorry about how long this post is; just want to express my opinion on each generation.

Blueguy1

System per generation

Postby Blueguy1 » April 22nd, 2012, 10:58 pm

[QUOTE=PinMike8666]Here are my favorite consoles per generation (I apologize how big this post will get):

8th: Nintendo 3DS (by default)

This could very well be the best handheld console of all-time; decent controls (which Nintendo has always had with this platform), nice backwards-compatibility to an already very powerful DS library (including 95% of the DSiWare games), the ability to download older games via the Virtual Console, and an improving selection of 3DS exclusives.  By comparison, the PlayStation Vita seems to fall in the same mold as the PSP; awesome hardware, but limited selection of games you can't find similarly on the 3DS; however, iOS gaming (especially with the iPad models) has vastly improved since 2008 and could definitely threaten Nintendo's 3rd-party dominance. I think Nintendo will be just fine (especially since it has buttons). The worst aspect with this one is the battery-life; the lowest in Nintendo's 20+ year history of the platform.

[/QUOTE]
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. The 3DS might be the best handheld console ever, maybe even my favorite system, but I'll have to get a few more games before I can say it's the best. It's certainly looking like it though, and I have played it literally every day since I first got it. 

JWK1

System per generation

Postby JWK1 » April 24th, 2012, 10:40 am

Great topic!  I wanted to make a few quick comments on my choices.

Gen 1: I can't say.  No experience here.

Gen 2: Atari Home Computer.  I'm still unsure of what this is called.  It might be the XEGS (I think that's correct), but I was so young I really don't remember.  But I remember the games.  Oil Well, Donkey Kong, Popeye, Pin Head, Jump Man, Ms. Pacman, Pengo, Load Runner, etc.  This started my love of video games.

Gen 3: NES.  This is not even close.  I've mentioned before that I enjoy the few Master System games that I've played, but for every good SMS game, there were 10 classics on the Nes.  And SMB3, Zelda, Mega Man 2 - 4, Castlevania 1 - 3, Contra, and Metroid (among 50+ others) still hold up today.

Gen 4: SNES.  I still think this is probably the best generation.  A tough decision for sure.  The TG-16/PCE had an incredible library of 2D sh'mups and one of the greatest 2D action platformers of all time (Rondo of Blood).  The Genesis had a wealth of games that ran the full spectrum from platformers to RPGs to Sports titles.  But the SNES is quite possibly the greatest system to ever exist.  It's RPGs are legendary.  Third party support was as strong as Nintendo's ever had.  It spawned new ideas and new genres (kart racing).  It's graphics were revolutionary (DKC, Yoshi's Island).  The games are just as fun to play today as they were 20 years ago.  And if that's not enough...  A Link to the Past.  'Nuff said.

Gen 5: Saturn.  My least favorite generation.  After an entire generation of beautiful sprites, I was so excited what the next generation would bring graphically.  Unfortunately, it brought trends that would make games look terrible for the next decade.  While many in the VGF have fond memories of their 5th gen system of choice, it's mosty nostalgia talking.  Those early polygons look horrible.  The Saturn came the closest to replicating a continuation of 2D gaming, and classics like Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun make it worthwhile.

Gen 6: Gamecube.  The PS2 was a fine system with an enormous library, perfect for RPG nuts.  Halo on XBox began a console FPS craze that continues today.  But it was the Gamecube that has gotten most of my gaming time.  I still think most 3D games looked pretty aweful during this era, but the Gamecube future proofed many of its games by making them look like cartoons (cel-shading, etc).  And Resident Evil 4, Pikmin, Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime are quite possibly the best games of last generation.  But, if all consoles are in the running for each generation, I'd choose my GBA SP over the GCN, XBox, and PS2.

Gen 7: PS3.  After the 16 bit era, this is my second favorite generation of games.  And 3D games finally look good!  About 2 years ago, someone asked me what I thought the best 7th generation console was and I said "the 360."  I'd like to officially retract that now.  I own the Wii, PS3, and 360 and I have no question that the PS3 is my favorite.  The Wii was incredibly innovative with its motion controls and has some incredible exclusive games.  The 360 has a great controller (sans d-pad) that's perfect for the popular FPS genre, the best choice of (non-Nintendo) retro games on its online market place (best version of DOOM, Critic!), and mass appeal.  But the PS3 shares with the 360 all the great mulitplats, has a wealth of AAA exclusives (which comprises about half my 80 PS3 game collection), free online play, and a blu ray player.  Also, the majority of the classic 6th generation games have been redone in HD and put into collections for the PlayStation 3.  When buying games, I purchase FPSs, exclusives, and a select few mutliplats (Orange Box, Bayonetta) on 360 and everything else on PS3.

Gen 8: Of course the 3DS would get this spot by process of elimination, guys!  The Vita's only been out a couple of months and there are only rumors what the next home consoles will bring.  That said, I'll repeat myself: Resident Evil Revelations, Mario Kart 7, and Super Mario 3D Land make up one of the best action games on a handheld EVER, the best Kart racer ever (imo), and the best 3D Mario platformer ever, respectively.  That's reason enough to purchase the system.

JWK1

System per generation

Postby JWK1 » April 24th, 2012, 1:43 pm

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by PinMike8666
the Nintendo Wii and PS3 offer strong 1st-party software with both consoles sporting unique and creative games as well as the ability to download older software; however both fell short of 3rd-party support (especially the Wii) and lacked the huge roster of games the Xbox 360 had [/QUOTE]

While the PS3 may have lacked some third party support in 2007, they've more than made up for that in the last five years.  A ton of games that started off as 360 exclusives in 2006/07 like Bioshock, Ninja Gaiden 2, Eternal Sonata, etc. have made their way over to the PS3.  And starting around 2008, the two consoles share 90%+ third party games.  Even series like Namco's "Tales" splits their games between the platforms (Tales of Vesperia - 360, Tales of Graces f - PS3).  The only non-first party exclusives I can think of are Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect 1 (the other two are on PS3), Splinter Cell Conviction, and maybe a couple others.  Other exclusives (like the Gears series and Alan Wake) are published by Microsoft, so now we're talking about 1st party games, of which the PS3 has far more.  Quality of 1st party titles between the two systems is debatable, but the sheer number of high-profile AAA-produced 1st party games on PS3 far outweighs those on the 360.

So if you're commenting on the state of things at the beginning of the generation and ending in 2007, I absolutely agree with you.  The 360 had better third party support and better exclusives, both 1st and 3rd party.  Now that it's 2012 and Microsoft has lost much of their exclusivity to the PS3 and PC, third party support is equal between the two systems and 1st party exclusives are more numerous and better (my opinion, of course!) on the PS3.  That said, I love both systems and agree with you that the 360 controller is better than the PS3's.  And if you're talking about online market places, I definitely agree with you: XBLA > PSN.

Rev1

System per generation

Postby Rev1 » April 24th, 2012, 4:00 pm

2nd- Atari XEGS- love the system a lot and it has a ton of games to play at an affordable price. Also own the Colecovision.
3rd- NES- just love this system. Some of the games haven't aged too well but overall I love the pick up and play nature of most of the games. Also own SMS.
4th- TG16 (w/ cd attachment)- I didn't get this console until a few years ago and I found out what I was missing. Has a lot of solid titles (US and in Japan). Also own the SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, and Virtual Boy.
5th- Playstation- great system, although a lot of the games are pretty dated graphically and in the game play department. Also own the Saturn, N64. Jaguar (not sure if this technically 4th or 5th generation), and probably something else.
6th- Dreamcast- hands down, favorite system of the generation and probably of all time. Also own PS2, Xbox, NGC.
7th- Wii- I love brawl and the Super Mario Galaxy games are wonderful. I know there are a bunch of crappy games for the console but there are quite a few gems. Also own the PS3, Xbox 360.
8th- I have not gotten that far yet... Waiting for a price drop before I get a 3dS...

Return to “Video Games General”