Are WE becoming a negative forum ?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 19th, 2013, 11:29 am

A tough question to ask but are we ?

The PS4 has just had the best launch sales of any console and sold over 1 million in 24 hours, do we have a topic to celebrate this ? No we focus on the 4% of them that have issues.

Luigi U is released and instead of a objective pros and cons discussion it turns into (I'm putting my hands up here) how Nintendo is churning out the same games, which may or not be true but why weren't we discussing the actual game ?

I'm sure there of other examples but these are the ones that spring to mind at the moment. When I first joined the forum it was much more accepting, no matter which system you discussed or which game you discussed, if it was a modern or classic game it was a board of like minded people having objective discussions no matter it was a 30 year old game or 30 day year old game but the discussion was about the game.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » November 19th, 2013, 1:49 pm

A million times yes over, I stopped becoming so frequent because there's a stench of anti-current generation behaviors.

I really cannot stand the "games these days are too easy" vitriol... So, like, this takes into account the ENTIRE previous generation?

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » November 19th, 2013, 2:37 pm

They may be saying 4% at this time, but its hard to calculate statistics like that this soon.  I remember when the 360 first came out, Microsoft tried to claim the failure rate is low.  Later that proved not to be even close.  I don't think it makes the forum negative to talk about stuff like that.  If anything, it serves as a good warning.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » November 19th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Are we becoming a negative forum?!?!? What a stupid post! You must be stupid! Why are you so stupid!

Sut, I kid of course, as you can see from my accompanying happy face [smile]

I see what you're saying, but that's a big reason why I like to have mods here: they keep these boards pretty civil. When new consoles come out, people will get pretty defensive over a particular console, but it's not uncommon. And when I compare this site to other video game sites, I'm very impressed by the level of discourse.

Yeah, sometimes we do get "uh-huh", "nuh-uh", "Oh yeah?!", "Yeah!" arguments, but on the whole, people here are pretty cool.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » November 19th, 2013, 3:32 pm

The PS4 failure rate is supposedly only 0.4%

As for the negativity...well, when you have a field of interest that
you've literally put decades into (I've been playing video games
since I got a Nintendo for Christmas in 1987, and I know there are
more than a few people who post on this forum who are older than
me) it's hard to avoid becoming jaded. I would imagine that some
of the older members find some of the changes taking place to be
troublesome (DLC, needing to connect to the internet just to make
your system functional, digital-only titles, online passes) and the
way AAA gaming and huge budgets have homogenized the genres
of games available (although Steam/xBLA/PSN and now Kickstarter
are changing that for the better). I do try to stay positive and talk
mostly about the things that I do like about the games I play (even
Silent Hill: Homecoming) and I'll just leave a thread if I see conversation
getting too nasty.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » November 19th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Heck I'm older than pong and I think I am a pretty positive guy about modern gaming. Hurrah for Sony it is an amazing show sales achievement. Happy 1st bithday to the WiiU and may your best years be ahead of you. Keep kicking butt xbox360...although the new kinect on your xboxone is just creepy (that one I cannot stay positive on). The sony blue light is a new mystery so I don't think enjoying a mystery is being negative. Its just a puzzle to solve.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » November 19th, 2013, 4:40 pm

I really don't think the forum is overly negative. I would have to agree with Josh, it is a pretty solid forum IMO.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » November 19th, 2013, 4:51 pm

This is one of the most positive forums on the web.  I'm glad we're meeting this head-on, because I would really hate for this place to go the way of IGN's comment section.

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!![wave]

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 19th, 2013, 5:14 pm

I find this forum is a pretty positive place overall.

I wasn't trying to be negative by mentioning the PS4's problems, I just wanted people on here to know about them so that they didn't get caught off-guard in case they were planning on buying one.

I am very positive about the new Kinnect and I don't think it's "creepy" at all(though I can understand others seeing it that way).

Being the youngest person on here currently(at least I think I am) I find it much easier to stay positive about the current gen as I have not became jaded in the least, I just can't help but love AAA games(though there are some franchises that I find overrated like the AC series and Bioshock).  That said there are some things I am as unhappy about as the rest of you(I.E. day 1 DLC, microtransactions).

Return to “Video Games General”