Are WE becoming a negative forum ?

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland171

Postby scotland171 » November 20th, 2013, 8:15 am

[QUOTE=velcrozombie]The PS4 failure rate is supposedly only 0.4%

As for the negativity...well, when you have a field of interest that
you've literally put decades into (I've been playing video games
since I got a Nintendo for Christmas in 1987, and I know there are
more than a few people who post on this forum who are older than
me) it's hard to avoid becoming jaded. I would imagine that some
of the older members find some of the changes taking place to be
troublesome (DLC, needing to connect to the internet just to make
your system functional, digital-only titles, online passes) and the
way AAA gaming and huge budgets have homogenized the genres
of games available (although Steam/xBLA/PSN and now Kickstarter
are changing that for the better). I do try to stay positive and talk
mostly about the things that I do like about the games I play (even
Silent Hill: Homecoming) and I'll just leave a thread if I see conversation
getting too nasty.[/QUOTE]

As far as becoming jaded over time you can compare gaming to music. Music and the music business has changed so much oved the last few console generations. In so many ways its better ... but some things are lost or shrunken to a nub. The hanging out in a record shop, the concept album, the album art are shadows. Modern gaming has lost things to in the name of progress and profits, but its also amazing. The portability, the access to generations of games, the ability to game with friends lightyears away, the graphics, the storylines, etc. I miss the arcades too but you cannot rewind time. So I think I can stay on the sunny side.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 20th, 2013, 1:43 pm

For the most part it's pretty good here.  I mean, it's pretty negative sometimes, but compared to the rest of the internet this place is downright sunshine and rainbows.  Without naming Steers, some people here can get a little... strange in their arguments.  But even there, they often have some gold buried in their... not gold.  And I would actually take a steer over many of the mouth-breathers in the comment sections at IGN (and I love IGN) or (God forbid) Gamespot, because he at least seems capable of making some kind of argument for whatever he is talking about. 

So no.  It's not that negative here.  It's negative sometimes, but most of the rest of the internet is ten times as negative, and negative all the time. 

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » November 20th, 2013, 2:38 pm

I guess it depends on what part of the forums we are talking about.  Stuff posted on here dealing with classic gaming is pretty much positive.  However, if we are talking modern gaming, then yeah, there is quite a bit of negativity there.  But then again, 99 percent of anything posted in any modern gaming forum on the internet, especially concerning current systems, is negative.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » November 20th, 2013, 9:44 pm

While gaming sites might be negative, other more mainstream articles can be glowing. As an example, here is http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/xbox-one-a-family-focused-console-that-goes-beyond-gaming/2013/11/19/75d491f4-512b-11e3-9e2c-e1d01116fd98_story.html that reads like a sales pitch. Same at http://blogs.seattletimes.com/brierdudley/2013/11/20/review-microsoft-xbox-one-means-business-serious-entertainment/ while business insider says the new console has the seeds of greatness instead of harping on a list of issues at http://www.businessinsider.com/first-xbox-one-reviews-2013-11

Does anyone else find gamer sites far more negative than general interest/tech/business sites on gaming topics?

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » November 21st, 2013, 7:00 pm

I thought I saw Sega-T had responded to this post over lunch and I was thinking to read his response better after work...but its gone. I do not recall seeing anything objectionable or impolite, so I was just wondering about what happened.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 22nd, 2013, 1:01 am

It was another poiintless, off-topic anti-Microsoft post, so i'm glad the mods removed it.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 22nd, 2013, 5:13 am

Wow that is gone too.

Can the mods please take the training wheels off the forum and let us RESPOND and HAVE OPINIONS and post INFORMATION?

Please?

I understand how the Critic does not want to be overly involved in the Forum part, fine, but then appoint a head mod, and give us a place to post grievances with them, and make the mods accountable, so they cannot run rouge for their system of choice. Where is the accountability for bad moderation? I would like the mod in question to come forward and explain themselves.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 22nd, 2013, 1:45 pm

Steer, just because someone takes down your off-topic posts does not automatically make it "bad" moderation, there's nobody running "rogue" here except for you with your off-topic posts that contribute nothing to the conversation whatsoever. 

If it were up to me, you would've banned from this forum a long time ago.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 22nd, 2013, 4:05 pm

Sega - you are the only one who has complained about the moderators, so I don't think they are doing a bad job.  You'll just have to accept the fact that not all of your posts will be approved.  I see a HECK of a lot of posts by you so I think you're getting your fair share.  Also, please don't take these boards so serious or personal.  This is supposed to be just for fun. 

The only reason these boards are here is because the moderators keep them on track and save me from the aggravation.  If I ever have to manage them myself, I would just shut them down.  

To everyone: I don't think it's a good idea to call out others by name, especially if you disagree.  This just puts people on the defensive.  Just present your counterpoint and be done with it.

Thanks
VGC

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » November 22nd, 2013, 6:57 pm

I enjoy coming to the forums and seeing everyones opinion on different games
and different systems and the video game world in general. Some I agree with
some I don't.
I agree, don't call someone out, just say your piece on something but also be
respectfull, that's why its all out there , cause we all have our likes and dislikes,
and that's why we are all a part of this site. Cause we love video games, and
that's what matters!!

Ozzy

Return to “Video Games General”