Proof that used games don't hurt industry...

General and high profile video game topics.
MarchingBand1

Postby MarchingBand1 » May 10th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Gamer Muzz of L1 Games proves that used games don't hurt the industry.  Also, on disc DLC and online passes are ripping off the customers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePNHfnR-SwA

Your thoughts?

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » May 10th, 2012, 9:28 pm

He makes many of the same points that I've made on this very forum.  I think the most frustrating and sad thing is when gamers (some of which are also on this very forum) pretend that used games put game developers out of business.  It's crap.  Every industry in the history of the world has products sold both new and used.  But if some whiny, entitled developer tells IGN, "The current gaming market is unsustainable!" enough times and people will start to believe it.  It's a lie, period.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » May 10th, 2012, 9:52 pm

My thoughts? There will be no used games starting with the next generation of consoles.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 10th, 2012, 10:26 pm

I would encourage everyone to watch this.  This guy very eloquently exposes the disinformation that's been propagated by the industry over the last few years.

I challenge you to watch this whole video.  Everything this guy is saying is true.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » May 11th, 2012, 1:29 am

I Watched the whole video. I agree with this guy 100%. I wish every gamer would watch this video.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » May 11th, 2012, 2:49 am

I only had time to watch about 5 minutes worth, but I have to say one thing so far, there is definitely a difference between a used video game and a used car/house/clothing, and that is that the video game, as long as it was relatively well taken care of, will still function exactly the same way it did on the day it was manufactured.  Cars wear out, houses need upkeep, clothing gets stretched and tattered.  A video game can be used a TON and still perform the same way it did the first time it was removed from the plastic.  This gives people less incentive to buy a new game than they might have to buy a new car/house/clothing.  I am not against the main point of what this guy is saying, I just wanted to point out that, so far, that is a big hole in his argument to me...

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 11th, 2012, 1:52 pm

If the games industry want to keep themselves at a reputable position, then the idea of second hand physical media is critical support. 

Please, Sony, Microsoft, and EA don't do anything to the next generation that is not worth losing fans over.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 11th, 2012, 8:36 pm

[QUOTE=Paul123]I only had time to watch about 5 minutes worth, but I have to say one thing so far, there is definitely a difference between a used video game and a used car/house/clothing, and that is that the video game, as long as it was relatively well taken care of, will still function exactly the same way it did on the day it was manufactured.  Cars wear out, houses need upkeep, clothing gets stretched and tattered.  A video game can be used a TON and still perform the same way it did the first time it was removed from the plastic.  This gives people less incentive to buy a new game than they might have to buy a new car/house/clothing.  I am not against the main point of what this guy is saying, I just wanted to point out that, so far, that is a big hole in his argument to me...
[/QUOTE]

Video games do suffer wear and tear although your point is well taken that they age better than most things.  Still, there's been a second-hand market for music CDs and DVDs for a long time and I don't think anyone ever called for the end of that.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 11th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Wow, I really enjoyed that. I rarely watched 41 minute long youtube videos but I watched that whole thing. He spoke really well and kept his points consistent throughout the video. I have never supported DLC on the disc, mostly because I haven't run across it a ton, considering I play more games from generations 2-6, still I have always had the fear that finding physical copies of games is going to be a thing of the past one day. I like having something for my money. I don't like the idea of shelling out money for something I know will disappear once my hard drive dies or that I can't loan to a friend. I really hope his video makes it to the front page of youtube and he gets million + views. I think he speaks in a professional and convincing manner and could help a lot of gamers speak up.

Thanks for the video, I'll be sure to pass it on.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » May 11th, 2012, 10:50 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Still, there's been a second-hand market for music CDs and DVDs for a long time and I don't think anyone ever called for the end of that.
[/QUOTE]

Somewhat related...

Back in the mid-90s several artists, most notably Garth Brooks, freaked out because they weren't getting any royalty money from the sales of used CDs. They wanted a way to ensure that they would receive money each time a CD was sold.

Brooks and his record company decided not to ship to stores that dealt in both new and used CDs as punishment to those stores. 

His record company got sued and they quickly changed their minds.  

Return to “Video Games General”