Classic Games You Didn't Like

General and high profile video game topics.
Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » March 12th, 2013, 8:30 am

So we had a topic 'bad games you like', but what about Classic Games (in the sense of: critically mostly well-received games) you didn't like?

I'll start with my list:

- Tomb Raider 1 (I thought the game was slow, didn't like the 3D clipping, hard to judge jumps. Never played any of the sequels).
- Assassin's Creed 1 (beautiful graphics, but I felt the controls were overcomplicated and the game was too slow. Again: never played any of the sequels).
- Myst (again, looked beautiful, and I admit it's atmospheric, but the gameplay is very shallow).
- Sonic CD - I'm a huge Sonic fans, but I never understood the fuss about this one. Sure, the audio is excellent and the graphics are great, but the stages aren't well-designed (let's not even talk about the impossible bonus stages!) and the time travel aspect is just a frustating addition.

Just my opinion, guys. I'm sure you all have some 'classic' games you didn't appreciatie . So what are they?

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 12th, 2013, 12:39 pm

I don't like the AD series either.  I also never cared for the Zelda series, just not my style.

I also do not like the early Resident Evil games at all, terrible controls, horrible dialogue and voice-acting, dreadful storyline, godawful save system, lousy gameplay, etc. Give me RE 6 any day!

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 12th, 2013, 1:49 pm

I hate Tomb Raider. Ugly 3D mess.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 12th, 2013, 2:06 pm

I played the original TR at a friend's house and found it more frustrating then fun.  Though I have been enjoying the new Tomb Raider game quite a bit.  I've also bought Legend, Anniversary and Underworld for the PC but haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

I think the Portal games are immensely overrated and not at all clever or compelling, I also wasn't particularly impressed by the Bioshock games, so odds are I won't be picking up Infinite.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 12th, 2013, 3:13 pm

Tomb Raider 1 - ha, I didn't like this one either.  

Assassin's Creed 1 This one is terrible compared to its sequel.  The sequel is awesome, but yeah, unless you get addicted to collecting stuff - pass on this one.

Off the top of my head, here are a few more.

Spy Hunter - I always stunk at this one when I was kid.  I tried it the other day on Midway's compilation.   And I still stink at it.  

Mario Kart SNES - I never liked it until the N64 release.  And I can say I haven't played another version of it since.  Maybe, when they come up with a Wii U version I'll try the series again.

Madden (all of them) - I suck at it.  If I was better and could read the darn plays, I might actually enjoy it.  As it is, I'm terrible at it and don't want to get better.  I'm okay with that.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » March 12th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Tekken 1 - 3. I've always preferred the Virtua Fighter series, and I believe it to be superior in every way - especially graphics! 

However, I loved Tekken Tag and Tekken 5. I felt that's when the series finally matured and possibly surpassed VF   

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » March 12th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Actraiser, you have to play Double Dash!!. That's by far the best Mario Kart and also the best racing game ever made, IMO.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » March 12th, 2013, 5:33 pm

I also did not like Assassin's Creed. I actually hated it. I hated it from the moment it forced its awful tutorial on me. (Okay. I get it. How long do I have to keep walking before you realize I know how to walk?) The gameplay is boring and repetitive and most of the time I'm wandering around on horseback while wondering where that town is that I was told to go to. However, the game would have been so much better if I had played as Altair the entire time. But no. It has to cut back to the future every time it looks like something interesting is about to happen. Then, suddenly I'm playing as Desmond, and let me tell you... Ubisoft could not possibly fathom how little I cared about Desmond. Just let me assassinate more people. That's all that game had to offer me anyway. For some reason, walking around a lab for a few minutes wasn't very exciting.

Battletoads (NES)- Many people regard this as one of the hardest games of all time. And they're right. But it's hard for all the wrong reasons. It never feels like I'm at fault when I die. The game is just cheap. I like some difficulty in my games but Battletoads' difficulty is just unreasonable. The things that this game expects players to do are outrageous. If you managed to beat this game without the use of a game genie, you probably went insane doing so.

Banjo Kazooie (N64)- I played this game to 100% completion and I just cannot understand what made it so popular. Other 3D platformers of the time did what Banjo Kazooie did and they did it so much better. Also, there were WAY too many water levels/swimming segments. And that "voice acting". I would rather shove ice picks through my eardrums than listen to that.

Half-Life 2- I don't like FPSs to begin with so HL2 would have had to have been as good as everyone claimed it was in order to hook me. And what happened when I started playing? I got stuck about 20-30 minutes into it. I had no idea where to go or what to do and everything I tried ended up with the same dead end. Had this game fallen into a genre that I liked, I would have been more motivated to figure it out. I don't "hate" HL2. I just can't bring myself to try with that game. Also, I should probably note that I've never played the original Half-Life.

Final Fantasy XII (PS2)- I've mentioned this before but suffice it to say that my gripes and absolute hatred for this game could fill a book. Maybe even a series of books. 

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » March 12th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Any fighting game.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » March 12th, 2013, 7:10 pm

WHAT??!?!?!! Tomb raider was one of the best Saturn games I ever played.

Return to “Video Games General”