Flea Market Score!

General and high profile video game topics.
kew9820001

Flea Market Score!

Postby kew9820001 » April 10th, 2014, 4:04 pm

After playing the Turbo Express, I've decided to do a review on it. I'll start first with the screen. By today's standards, the LCD on this thing is terrible. Even though it was top of the line when it was released it still had flaws. One major flaw would be dead pixels. Many of these systems were plagued with multiple dead pixels even brand new out of the box. I've also noticed screen blur and pixel burn similar to screen burn in CRT monitors. It's only temporary and goes away after the power has been off for a few minutes but it's still annoying during gameplay. Also, the screen is kind of small for my liking. The 2.5 inch screen only goes so far. It's hard to read text in some games especially RPGs. The Turbo Express has no A/V out feature whatsoever and that is a deal breaker for me. I own a Sega Nomad and that was one of my favorite features. As for the form factor, the Turbo Express is HUGE for a "portable" system. Good luck trying to get this beast to fit in your pocket. On the plus side, the system is very comfortable to hold during gameplay and even people with bigger hands would have to agree. As for the battery life: I've probably gotten in 4 hours of gameplay on fresh Duracell batteries and haven't had to replace them yet. But from I understand, the Turbo Express had the worst battery life of all the portable game systems of it's time. Anyone playing these systems today would be wise just to use a wall adapter. Overall, I think this was a great system for it's time and if you can get your hands on the great piece of gaming history, then go for it. Even with it's flaws I have no regrets. Just remember that if you do happen to luck into a Turbo Express, chances will be that it will need to be overhauled with brand new capacitors for it to function correctly. This was a common problem with these systems even when they were brand new.

Wallyworld1

Flea Market Score!

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 11th, 2014, 12:58 am

My Nomad had 3.5 inch screen with a modern lcd mod. I don't think I could enjoy gaming in a smaller screen.

I still want one though! That was a holy grail from my childhood.

Return to “Video Games General”