The Worst Gamestop Policy Ever

General and high profile video game topics.
kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » September 12th, 2013, 7:43 pm

[QUOTE=Irenicus]There are youtube videos of Gamestop dumpster divers showing off their haul. Most of it is promo items and DS cases. Before you grab your flashlight & steel toes know that Gamestop will call the cops.   [/QUOTE]

I, myself have been guilty of Gamestop dumpster diving. But believe me it was worth it. Not only the thrill of it but my best finds have been a broken PSP, which I was able to repair, a few collector's edition games that weren't destroyed and a ton of strategy guides. Honestly, in my opinion, whatever is in the trash is fair game.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » September 12th, 2013, 8:18 pm

[QUOTE=kew982000][QUOTE=Irenicus]There are youtube videos of Gamestop dumpster divers showing off their haul. Most of it is promo items and DS cases. Before you grab your flashlight & steel toes know that Gamestop will call the cops.   [/QUOTE]

I, myself have been guilty of Gamestop dumpster diving. But believe me it was worth it. Not only the thrill of it but my best finds have been a broken PSP, which I was able to repair, a few collector's edition games that weren't destroyed and a ton of strategy guides. Honestly, in my opinion, whatever is in the trash is fair game.[/QUOTE]

This is the best post I have ever read about Gamestop.....it does make sense. Stay out of the store and raid the dumpster.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » September 12th, 2013, 8:54 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=kew982000][QUOTE=Irenicus]There are youtube videos of Gamestop dumpster divers showing off their haul. Most of it is promo items and DS cases. Before you grab your flashlight & steel toes know that Gamestop will call the cops.   [/QUOTE]

I, myself have been guilty of Gamestop dumpster diving. But believe me it was worth it. Not only the thrill of it but my best finds have been a broken PSP, which I was able to repair, a few collector's edition games that weren't destroyed and a ton of strategy guides. Honestly, in my opinion, whatever is in the trash is fair game.[/QUOTE]

This is the best post I have ever read about Gamestop.....it does make sense. Stay out of the store and raid the dumpster.

[/QUOTE]I've never considered this but I may have to go dumpster diving at Gamestop now. Well, how do you like that? Gamestop may actually prove to be good for something now.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » September 13th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Darkrage is lecturing me how my post is weak and pointless sarcasm and that it contributes absolutely nothing to this thread. This is comming from the guy who had multiple members try and explain to him how the Xbone policies were bad for the industry. Did he acknowledge the points that they tried to make? No, instead he started trolling how it "doesn't affect him" and "its all about the games". He went out of his way to make similiar comments over and over again. His credibility was gone long ago, yet he still keeps going.

Now he's dismissing how Gamestop has affected the industry. It wouldn't be annoying if he didn't come off as so arrogant and dense about it. He dismisses what other people, that know a lot more about the industry than him, have to say about it.  

"I strongly disagreee that Gamestop are intentionally diminishing the value of their product, that just dosen't make any kind of sense from a business standpoint, I really don't see where you're going with the Walmart comparison at all, it just makes no sense." No sense in trying to explain this statement to him either, because he'd just dismiss it anyway.

"I don't believe people's first place to check for complete copies of complete versions of older games is Gamestop, I certainly don't think it has "forced" people to look online, most people use online sites because it's more convenient and because there are detailed descriptions telling you exactly what condition the game is in."

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » September 13th, 2013, 10:40 pm

I actually went to Gamestop for the first time in about a year and was thinking that maybe they weren't so bad after all and was thinking of going back, but now I read something like this.  The worst part is that if any type of game really needs a case, it would be portable ones.  If I was buying a 3DS game for my kid and all I was handed was the tiny game card, I would think to myself, "How is this not going to get lost??"

And I went to the Gamestop website to see if they were still selling used 3DS games for a measly $5 cheaper than a new copy, and as it turns out, it is much worse than that.  If you want a game that retails for $39.99, you can have it in used condition, without case and manual, for $37.99!  If the game retails for $19.99, they'll let you have a used copy for the low, low price of $18.99!  That's 5% off, folks!  And you don't even have to worry about carring around any of the bulky packaging! (And here's something funny:  if you read the fine print on their site, even in the 3DS section, it says that a used game may not include case and manual, implying that it may come with one.  That's not deceitful at all!)

You know, I always hear how Gamestop wants you to buy the used copy of a game since they make a bigger profit that way, but in that context the used games policies and pricing make even less sense.  I can't believe anyone, even someone on a strict budget, wouldn't be willing to pay a dollar or two to get a new copy of a game.  But I guess someone must be buying them.

I'm not someone who wants to tell Gamestop how to run their business.  I realize they are catering to casual gamers, not collectors.  But then again, it almost seems like they are actually taking advantage of casual gamers with some of their goofy policies.  But, hey, I guess if they are doing well financially then more power to 'em.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » September 14th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Snakeboy-There are plastic sleeves you can hold portable games in, those worked pretty well for me when I bought GBA or DS games without a case.  The PSP also has a black case that can hold up to 4 discs. 

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » September 15th, 2013, 1:01 pm

It really is a terrible policy.  Even with their business case, I can't really see a good excuse for tossing or destroying the box and manual of a handheld game.  Even when it doesn't affect me (I rarely buy used handheld games at Gamespot), it certainly makes me think twice about buying from them.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » September 15th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Back in April I bought Fire Emblem on the DS. It was on a display rack with maybe 10 other DS games. It had the instruction manual and case. Most of the DS games were just the carts in that glass case they use. I asked the employee about the rumor that Gamestop throws away the cases and manuals for the DS games. He confirmed that they do. I asked him, "Well, what about this game?" He looked away and said that he couldn't bring himself to doing it to that game. I smiled and told him I couldn't do it either.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » September 16th, 2013, 2:08 am

It's all good, yet, in post # 3 in this thead, you said:"I can recall plenty of times where I got rid of the boxes for my own portable games so I could save space..."
Of course, your throwing away plenty of handheld games boxes you're actually not throwing away as it seems you're actually only getting rid of large PC games boxes, all this stuff does not affect me, it doesn't bother me to be sure, but I believe you have a doppelganger, the only viable explanation. Doppelgangers can be mischevious, just like gremlins, and.. trolls.

Edit: I was replying to Darkrage, who stated he only threw away PC boxes after all, due to their size. Apparently, he deleted the post, and apologized for the confusion in yet another post, explaining how he only meant console games, confusing us even more. However, the apologetic post was deleted as well, for whatever reason. I'd ask Darkrage, chances are he's not affected though.

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » September 16th, 2013, 3:41 am

[QUOTE=darkrage6]I very strongly disagree with Gamestop being the "lowest common denominator"[/QUOTE]

I'm having a hard time imagining what could beat Gamestop out for that prize.  In other words: if Gamestop isn't the L.C.D., what is?

Return to “Video Games General”