Wrestling Video Games

General and high profile video game topics.
LoganRuckman1

Wrestling Video Games

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 2nd, 2013, 2:29 pm

You know, out of all sports video games, wrestling games are by far my favorite. There are a lot of great wrestling games out there. My all time favorite is probably WWE Day Of Reckoning for the good ol' GameCube. I loved how you had to create a character and he rose through the ranks of the WWE. It's sequel was good too. And I freaking love Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain, as well as the Smackdown Vs. Raw and modern WWE series. And you can't forget about the classics. Like I said before, the N64 and wrestling games went together like peanut butter and jelly. WWF Attitude was the first wrestling game I ever played, and the WCW games were awesome. Also, Pro Wrestling on NES is great.

So tell me, fellow pro wrestling fans, what are some of your favorite wrestling games?

Sut1

Wrestling Video Games

Postby Sut1 » July 2nd, 2013, 3:19 pm

I ain't no wrestling fan but I adored the old WWF arcade games with the cartoon style graphics they are great fun. I think I might fire MAME up ! Why no home conversions though !

chrisbid1

Wrestling Video Games

Postby chrisbid1 » July 2nd, 2013, 3:42 pm

http://www.youtube.com/user/MikeAndTomPresent

here is a great youtube series on pro wrestling games

I'd have to say Wrestlefest for the arcade is my favorite.

Ozzybear1

Wrestling Video Games

Postby Ozzybear1 » July 2nd, 2013, 5:16 pm

the first two smackdowns will always be my fav, had the multiplayer season modes, just was a blast that my friends and i had and spent lots of time, after that though, i just couldn't get into them.

Segatarious1

Wrestling Video Games

Postby Segatarious1 » July 2nd, 2013, 7:36 pm

I have not liked a wrestling game since the N64.

Also WWE has gotten so generic, I do not watch pro wrestling at all, I admit I was never a huge fan, but now it has no appeal at all......

Irenicus1

Wrestling Video Games

Postby Irenicus1 » July 2nd, 2013, 8:56 pm

Fire Pro Wrestling (GBA). Takes a while to get the timing of the grappling, but once you "get it" you "got it".

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (PS2). Took me forever to finally "get" the grappling system, much longer than GBA. I gave up on this one, because I didn't want to have to remake all my created fighters. If I had to start from scratch I'd try this version. The menu system is probably the worst menu system on any video game. Seriously its frustrating as heck.

rahimtx1

Wrestling Video Games

Postby rahimtx1 » July 3rd, 2013, 9:55 am

I used to love playing Pro Wrestling as a kid growing up.  This was my first introduction to wrestling games via the Nintendo Play Ten machines, and what a great game it was.  Years later I would come upon a wrestling game called WCW Wrestling for the NES.  It would become, and it's still to this day, my all time favorite wrestling game.  My buddy and I used to go at it all the time with this game.  A lot of great memories with this one. WCW Vs NWO Revenge for N64 will round out my top three.  I put in a lot of hours with this title as well.  Even though I like the wrestling games of today, but for some reason they dont hold my interest for very long.  I'll tell one thing though.  I really wish the WWE games would bring back GM Mode.  I used to love that feature.

Edward1

Wrestling Video Games

Postby Edward1 » July 3rd, 2013, 3:34 pm

I've never been able to figure out the fire pro series.  However, maybe I need to try again. I keep hearing they are supposed to be great.

However, What I like the best is easily WWF no mercy for Nintendo 64.   It was the best wrestling game to use the AKI engine.   The engine is my favorite ever, and I still dont think the Smackdown series has caught up to this awesome game yet.   Its easily to learn, but there are a ton of moves you can do.   The game probably has the best roster of any wrestling game.   It was released at the end of the attitude era so it has all the big name stars of the time like Austin, Jericho, Rock, Undertaker, Angle, etc.  Also most many of the characters who were mid carders in this game, later went on to become main eventers such as The Hardys, Eddie G, Dudleyz, Edge and Christian, Bradshaw, Mark Henry etc.  I believe there are about 60 characters in the game (Even andre the giant!) which makes it awesome.  This was also the first wrestling game to have a ladder match (I may be wrong though)  and it was awesome.  This was one of the few wrestling games, where the ladder actually feels like it has weight, unlike the smackdown games.

However, my favorite part of this game is story mode.   It has branching paths if you when or lose and it was so awesome for the time.  In essence this game has an excellent gameplay engine, with a ton of features, which makes it my favorite wrestling game ever (unless I can figure out the fire pro games and determine they are better).

El_Shamro1

Wrestling Video Games

Postby El_Shamro1 » July 3rd, 2013, 8:13 pm

I understand the appeal of wrestling games, but every time I try to get into one, I always forget about the rope break rule. Are there any where you can turn that off?

vegas83

Wrestling Video Games

Postby vegas83 » July 3rd, 2013, 8:45 pm

One of my favorite wresting games was called Bop'N Wrestle and was on the Commodore 64. Was on of the first wrestling games I could remember playing back in the 80's. Wasnt great but back then it was a lot of fun.
Anyone else remember this game?

Return to “Video Games General”