The Criticize Nintendo Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 26th, 2014, 12:10 am

Jon, as much as I hate to do it (I personally dislike the N64), I personally thought the graphics trumped most of the 3D stuff that was on PS1.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 26th, 2014, 12:12 am

[QUOTE=pacguy19][QUOTE=Oltobaz]The four N64 controller port was a nice feature, too bad they didn't reproduce it with its successors.[/QUOTE]
Except they did. The Gamecube had four controller ports and the Wii/U can support four Wiimotes.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the Wii U's limits with Wiimotes and Wii U controllers, but the Wii can do 8 person multiplayer via four Wiimotes and four GameCube gamepads. A Bomberman title on the Virtual Console I believe is one such example that goes beyond 4 player multiplayer.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » June 26th, 2014, 12:23 am

[QUOTE=Jon]As time goes by I think less and less of the N64. I now consider it a disgrace and a real low point in video game history. And I don't know what was possible in that era, but 3d arcade games looked great.[/QUOTE]
And arcade games were running on thousand-dollar hardware.

N64 games had a tendency to look muddy but it was still better than the PS1 by far.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 26th, 2014, 2:49 am

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the N64 controller, and, except for 3 to 5 games roughly, most of its games didn't do it for me. This console is such a departure from one of my all times favorite systems, the SNES, and the focus on 3D gaming was even bigger than the Playstation, which was more balanced.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 26th, 2014, 12:09 pm

[QUOTE=Leo][QUOTE=pacguy19][QUOTE=Oltobaz]The four N64 controller port was a nice feature, too bad they didn't reproduce it with its successors.[/QUOTE]
Except they did. The Gamecube had four controller ports and the Wii/U can support four Wiimotes.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the Wii U's limits with Wiimotes and Wii U controllers, but the Wii can do 8 person multiplayer via four Wiimotes and four GameCube gamepads. A Bomberman title on the Virtual Console I believe is one such example that goes beyond 4 player multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

What?  No way!!!

I didn't know that.

Damn, now I want to try that out.  8 man Bomberman would be epic.  

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 26th, 2014, 10:16 pm

I couldn't swear that it was 8 person multiplayer (The upper limit for a backwards compatible Wii) which was why I carefully worded that post. Upon checking, the two Bomberman titles for the TG16 that saw Virtual Console releases offer 5 person multiplayer via a combination of Wii and GameCube controllers. I kind of mislead you a bit, but still pretty neat I think. 

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 26th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Every time I make this point I get hounded by fanboys, although I just may have found the right thread to perhaps not encounter resistance. But I hate the SNES and everything it stands for. The graphics were not nearly as advanced as I wanted them to be, (I have the same problem with the Genesis) it wasn't a quantum leap forward from the NES. The nagging limitations; the fact it couldn't handle many objects on screen and was slow, really aggravated me. Also, the graphics didn't appeal to me. They weren't imaginative enough. It sucks because I would have loved it if there were more games like Pulstar or Metal Slug during that era. Those games look incredible and it's just a shame that there weren't games like that consistently coming out. This ties into the N64 sucking too, because the 5th gen 3d graphics were so ugly there should've been a heavier emphasis on 2d, especially shooters because the Genesis and (SNES) left so much to be desired. I love playing Neo Geo games, and plan on getting a Dreamcast to enjoy 2d shooters. It's just sad that there were never any high profile, advanced 2d shooters, basically ever.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » June 27th, 2014, 12:15 am

[QUOTE=Jon]Every time I make this point I get hounded by fanboys, although I just may have found the right thread to perhaps not encounter resistance. But I hate the SNES and everything it stands for. The graphics were not nearly as advanced as I wanted them to be, (I have the same problem with the Genesis) it wasn't a quantum leap forward from the NES. The nagging limitations; the fact it couldn't handle many objects on screen and was slow, really aggravated me. Also, the graphics didn't appeal to me. They weren't imaginative enough. It sucks because I would have loved it if there were more games like Pulstar or Metal Slug during that era. Those games look incredible and it's just a shame that there weren't games like that consistently coming out. This ties into the N64 sucking too, because the 5th gen 3d graphics were so ugly there should've been a heavier emphasis on 2d, especially shooters because the Genesis and (SNES) left so much to be desired. I love playing Neo Geo games, and plan on getting a Dreamcast to enjoy 2d shooters. It's just sad that there were never any high profile, advanced 2d shooters, basically ever.[/QUOTE]

Pulstar and Metal Slug aren't really imaginative though. One is a 2D shooter and the other is an action platformer. A Life Force (NES) or a Contra (NES/SNES/SMD) serve just as well. 

You want imagination? Try Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, or Earthbound. 

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » June 27th, 2014, 8:00 am

[QUOTE=Jon]I hate the SNES and everything it stands for. The graphics were not nearly as advanced as I wanted them to be, (I have the same problem with the Genesis) [/QUOTE]

The only reason you are 'hounded' is because you make absurd statements like this. Your criticism is made using hindsight, i.e. that the SNES and Genesis didn't have games that look like Pulstar or Metal Slug. These games were made in 1995-96 on hardware that was still extremely expensive. Did anyone in 1989 really bemoan the graphical capabilities of the Genesis because they foresaw games with more sprites a few years down the line? No, they did not.

Back on topic; I wish that Nintendo would be a little more pragmatic, or aggressive even. I'm sure many of us would love to see them bring Rare back into the fold (or at least their IP), they could do wonderful things with Capcom properties, and they should do whatever it takes to encourage EA to make Madden, FIFA etc on the Wii U. Use the gamepad as a tactics board with a top-down view of the action, prozone stats etc. I'm not someone that would necessarily buy these games, but this would be a unique selling point and would undoubtedly shift units and in turn encourage other third parties, provide Nintendo with more resources for their games and so on.

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » June 27th, 2014, 10:05 am

[QUOTE=ptdebate]Pulstar and Metal Slug aren't really imaginative though. One is a 2D shooter and the other is an action platformer. A Life Force (NES) or a Contra (NES/SNES/SMD) serve just as well. [/QUOTE]

You're completely right - Pulstar is an R-Type clone (albeit a good one) with a few visuals taken from Life Force and other shooters for good measure.

Return to “Video Games General”