Unpopular Gaming Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 24th, 2014, 9:47 am

Segatarious--

1) If you hate games so much, why do you still play them?

2) Narrative is part of the fun of games. Why do so many people love Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid--the first one in particular [wink]? Why did The Walking Dead win game of the year? That game is all story. Narrative is simply one of the ways in which games entertain. Whether or not you believe that games can have a good narrative, it's impossible to ignore that most people who consider themselves "gamers" think they can and do.

3) Even if there were no such thing as narrative in games, gender and race under-representation would still be a problem. I'm tired of white male thirtysomethings thinking that they can speak for the rest of the world in saying "lack of diversity isn't a big deal because games are terrible to begin with." It's myopic and imperiously egg-headed.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 24th, 2014, 10:22 am

As a friendly reminder, if you want to debate an unpopular gaming opinion - please start a new topic on it. 

I'm trying to avoid locking down this thread as it goes off the rails by any single opinion.  It's a great topic in and of itself; however, any one single item could derail the whole thing.  It's been awesome reading how everyone has different opinions on a wide range of gaming related topics.

Thanks,
Bud

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » July 24th, 2014, 11:12 am

#1. Tony Hawk games were best played with a Playstation controller, the stick layout is rather fitting for sports

#2. The Game Boy Advance's library didn't get a proper send off

#3. I don't consider the Online portion to Grand Theft Auto V a part of the same game, trust me it doesn't take an enthusiast to say the single player is far better than the Multiplayer, plus you can get FREE vehicular customization playing as Franklin

#4. I think the Dreamcast VMU was a genius peripheral

#5. Crash Bandicoot 2 is better than Crash Bandicoot 3, as is Crash Team Racing

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » July 24th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Ass Creed are the best games every created.  Forget Mario and the like this is the reason to play games.  Now they are only coming out on PC and the next gen consoles.  Inferior consoles do not have the power to run them. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 24th, 2014, 3:30 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]Ass Creed are the best games every created.  Forget Mario and the like this is the reason to play games.  Now they are only coming out on PC and the next gen consoles.  Inferior consoles do not have the power to run them. [/QUOTE]

I do love me some Ass Creed. Great stories, music and graphics. Looks like Unity is going to have some awesome co-op too.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » July 25th, 2014, 2:18 pm

I think the Jaguar was capable of being the best 2d console of all time. The Neo Geo is my favorite system by far. 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » July 25th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Battle Arena Tohshinden on Playstation was just as good as Virtua Fighter on Saturn.

Black and white Game Boy games are best enjoyed on a black and white Game Boy; the Game Boy Light (only released in Japan)
being the ultimate old school Game Boy.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » July 25th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Morrowind has the best combat of the Elder Scrolls games.

The original Game Boy was terrible for playing anything other than Tetris.

The best controller of all time was the SNES original; not Genesis 6-button or Saturn model 2.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 25th, 2014, 4:01 pm

The DS library is more visually attractive than that of the 3DS, especially when played on a DSi XL.

RPGs are the most diverse and historically significant genre of games.

Return to “Video Games General”