Unpopular Gaming Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » July 21st, 2014, 9:35 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=nesfan]

I wish Sega would stop making Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe and make another Phantasy Star RPG like the old ones.

[/QUOTE]

100% agree. 

Mine:

I think the SNES was only okay, and the Genesis, Neo Geo,  and TG16 were better than it. 

I think Wii Sports was the best game of last generation. 

I think the 3DS XL is utterly and completely inferior to the original 3DS.

I think Nintendo's best systems ever were the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U.  By a mile. 

[/QUOTE]
I loved the snes.  It was a much better console than the Genesis... the Neo Geo was good for a quite a few games that I played in the arcade. Never played the TG 16 so I cannot comment.
I thought wii sports was okay. 
Whey do you think the xl version of the 3ds is inferior..
SNES and the N64 were Nintendo's best machines... then the cube...
These are my opinions...
I am going to post my ops later.  Just trying to kill the king evil Nazi in Wolfenstein at the present time.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 21st, 2014, 10:02 am

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher][QUOTE=Segatarious]1. SNES is Nintendo's weakest home console
[/QUOTE]
That is the Wii U.
Followed by the Virtual Boy. [/QUOTE]

I have never played the Virtual Boy, but I have to say the Wii U is top shelf.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 21st, 2014, 10:02 am

[QUOTE=ZetaX][QUOTE=Atarifever]
I think the 3DS XL is utterly and completely inferior to the original 3DS.
[/QUOTE]

Just curious, what about the XL do you dislike?  Larger size makes it harder to hold?  Quality of construction?  Battery life?

I consider upgrading my 3DS when I see the XLs on sale, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.[/QUOTE]

Responding to the same question from Astrosmasher here too.

It is a portable that is not nearly as portable.  That's a big deal to me in a portable. It's an especially big deal for someone who loves streetpass, because it decreases my desire, and ability, to bring it everywhere I go. 

I find its heavier, bigger design makes it much less comfortable to hold for any length of time, and the extra size coupled with the DS/3DS structure (two screens, one being held the other weighing up above it) makes that discomfort even worse over time.

I have a lot more trouble getting the 3D effect to work now.  I don't know what it is, but with the larger screen, I have a real hard time finding that "sweet spot" and I find I lose the effect much more easily with slight movements of the system.

This is likely just me, but with my specific 3DS XL, Netflix is real problematic.  I don't have a problem with my original one, but the XL usually has to be shut down and restarted before Netflix will work.  No idea why. 

So, even minus the netflix problem I'm having, I find it less portable (and, thus, get less Street Passes and play coins), more difficult to use for extended periods, and harder to use in 3D.  I wish there'd been a redesign that made the 3DS thinner, not larger.   

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 21st, 2014, 10:28 am

I would say Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina Of Time, but honestly, that seems to be popular opinion nowadays. It would have been unpopular just a few years ago. But yeah, I think Majora's Mask is superior to Ocarina Of Time. I'd love to see The Critic review Majora's Mask at some point.

I don't like the 3D on the 3DS. Maybe I'll give it a chance.

Assassin's Creed (admittedly I've only played the first one) bored me to tears.

Despite Call Of Duty, Call Of Duty 2, Call Of Duty 4, and to an extent, Black Ops being the most loved in the series, I feel that Modern Warfare 2 is the best.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » July 21st, 2014, 10:49 am

I've got a pretty unpopular opinion: the Dreamcast is completely overrated in general, but for shmups specifically. Most of the "hidden" and import shooters are from G.Rev whose games I don't particularly like. Ikaruga, Mars Matrix, and Giga Wing are good. The rest of the DC's shooter library is pretty meh.

2.5D games look terrible. If modern developers want to make a 2D game, MAKE A 2D GAME! It will ensure that your game has a shelf life of longer than two years, as polygons age like milk and sprites don't really age at all.

The N64 is probably Nintendo's worst (and worst aging) console ever.

The Sega CD is a great system. Snatcher, Lunar 1 & 2, Popful Mail, Robo Aleste, Sonic CD and Final Fight CD are some of the best games to appear on a Sega console. Though it doesn't sound like this is a very unpopular opinion on these forums. Lol

The original 3DS has a terrible dpad. Makes buying those VC platformers from the NES days a complete waste.

The Vita would be the greatest handheld of all time if Sony would support it properly (which they've now confirmed they will not).

Emulation is AWESOME and the best way to play import games, as the retro community creates translation patches when the original developers won't.

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » July 21st, 2014, 11:53 am

[QUOTE=nesfan]I wish Sega would stop making Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe and make another Phantasy Star RPG like the old ones.[/QUOTE]

I also agree with this. I'm sure I can think of other unpopular opinions I hold, but for the meantime I will just share that I believe that the original Phantasy Star is the greatest video game of all time. This is a view I have held for many years.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 21st, 2014, 11:53 am

[QUOTE=nesfan]Like Banjopickles, I also like Final Fantasy VI more than VII. VI is my favorite in the series. I also think that VIII is better than VII.

On the subject of Final Fantasy, I think XIII is not the worst in the series as that honor goes to XII.

Duke Nukem Forever is not a bad game.

Pac-Man for Atari 2600 is not a bad game. It's pretty much exactly what I expected an arcade port of Pac-Man on the console to look and play like. Yeah, it's not arcade perfect but what Atari game was?

I hate Banjo Kazooie.

The N64 has the most lackluster game library of any Nintendo console.

I love random encounters in RPGs.

I wish Sega would stop making Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe and make another Phantasy Star RPG like the old ones.

I don't like Assassin's Creed games.

For the most part, I don't like indie games.

Heavy Rain was one of the worst-designed games I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything EXCEPT your position on FFVI vs. FFVII [tongue]

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 21st, 2014, 12:39 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]

I wasn't aware that it was popular to hate on modern Pokemon, I like all gens though the 4th one was my fave.

[/QUOTE]

It's mostly genwunners, but there are quite a bit of them, and they like to make their opinion known on just how much the new Pokemon games suck and how only the first two generations are any good. They use many arguments,but it can essentially be boiled down to "I let my nostalgia of the first two generations blind me to the fun experiences of the later generations." Now, if you don't like modern Pokemon, that's fine, but genwunners are obnoxious about it. They often insult modern Pokemon fans, and they are incredibly condescending, with remarks such as "New Pokemon suck, I feel bad for the kids of today." And a lot of their reasoning is also stupid. One argument they use is that new Pokemon are uninspired or lazy, and how all the old designs were just so amazing and original. Oh, really? :

[1df] 
[a6ecab_4846486] 

I mean, I myself prefer the first three generations, but Gens 4-6 were also amazing, and genwunners piss me off, not for having a different opinion, but for being so condescending and obnoxious.

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » July 21st, 2014, 12:59 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]2.5D games look terrible. If modern developers want to make a 2D game, MAKE A 2D GAME! It will ensure that your game has a shelf life of longer than two years, as polygons age like milk and sprites don't really age at all. The N64 is probably Nintendo's worst (and worst aging) console ever. The Sega CD is a great system. Snatcher, Lunar 1 & 2, Popful Mail, Robo Aleste, Sonic CD and Final Fight CD are some of the best games to appear on a Sega console. Though it doesn't sound like this is a very unpopular opinion on these forums. Lol Emulation is AWESOME and the best way to play import games, as the retro community creates translation patches when the original developers won't.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree re: 2.5D, N64 and the Sega CD. Completely disagree re: emulation, the best way to play fan translated import games is either buying repro carts if you have a lot of money, or a flash cart if not.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » July 21st, 2014, 2:07 pm

I never cared for NES (or Master System) controllers.  I liked the feel of the Atari joystick (and paddles), and always felt like NES controllers were cheap and junky.  Plus, I was used to using my right hand for the directional control and left thumb for pushing the fire button...NES flipped that around.

The only Zelda game I've cared for was Link's Crossbow Training (Wii).  Not truly a "Zelda game", I suppose.

RPGs are tedious antifun.

After re-reading those last two gripes, I guess I just don't care for games where you have to wander around and look for stuff.  If you like to explore virtual worlds, Zelda and RPGs are probably fun.  Just not my cup of tea.

Return to “Video Games General”