Unpopular Gaming Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 20th, 2014, 1:03 pm

This is to talk about things that most people disagree with in video games. Here are some of mine.

I prefer Super Mario Bros. 2 over the original. And by Super Mario Bros. 2, I'm not talking about Lost Levels. I am talking about the Mario game that's not really a Mario game. And I feel that SMB 2 was a better sequel than Lost Levels.

I prefer Mario RPGs over the Platformers, as fantastic as the Platformers are.

I like Sonic Adventure more than the Genesis games.

This is more unpopular with genwunners than anyone else, but modern Pokemon does not suck. It may not have the same nostalgia that the older games do, but Gens 3 and up are fantastic. And I love the Pokemon designs. Remember that lazy or bad designs are not new to the series, even though genwunners will try to convince you that they are. I mean, Gen 1 had Pidgey, which is literally just a bird, and Voltorb, which is literally just a Pokeball with eyes.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 20th, 2014, 2:06 pm

I wasn't aware that it was popular to hate on modern Pokemon, I like all gens though the 4th one was my fave.

I thought the 2005 remake of NARC was actually a pretty good game.

I didn't totally hate Drake Of the 99 Dragons.

I think Resident Evil 6 is the best game in the series and I also like that the series became more action oriented.

I really enjoy Sonic06 and don't think it deserves all the hatred it gets, same with Shadow The Hedgehog, also I didn't mind the physics in Sonic 4 episode 1 and I don't think they made the game unplayable like many others did.

I like Deus Ex Invisible War and Human Revolution more then the original.

I think Operation Mindjack is a pretty underrated game.

Steel Battalion Heavy Armor is a pretty good game and does NOT have "broken" controls, you're movements just have to be very precise and careful.

I think Aliens Colonial Marines is an OK game so long as you don't set your expectations too high.

Alpha Protocol is one of the best RPGs i've ever played.

I find the Portal and Bioshock series to be highly overrated.

Final Fight: Streetwise is a pretty underrated entry into the FF series.

Duke Nukem Forever was pretty fun for what it was.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 20th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Nice idea for a thread!

My most unpopular opinion would probably be that the Wii U is the best 8th generation console to buy right now. I know that people on this forum generally like the Wii U, but out in the wild this would sound like a pretty crazy idea.

Secondly, I really hate disc media. When it comes to PS1 and PS3 games, I'm all digital unless a digital copy is unavailable. Early compact discs from the 80s are already starting to fail, and our cherished Sega CD, Jaguar CD (lol, just kidding), and Turbo Duo games are staring death in the face. Flash storage was and still is the best way to store data long term (as long as continual writing is not taking place). Your NES and Atari games will most likely outlive your PS1 games. See this website for more information on compact disc degradation: http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec4.html

Finally, I don't think 16-bit Sonic games are very good. Great music and graphics, but I constantly find myself running up against the conflict of wanting to go fast vs. wanting to explore and find everything. It feels very awkward to me.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » July 20th, 2014, 3:25 pm

I think that Final Fantasy 6 SMOKES Final Fantasy VII.

I like GameCube better than PS2.

I think that the Sega CD is actually underrated!

I still love Mode-7 effects.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 20th, 2014, 4:22 pm

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]I think that Final Fantasy 6 SMOKES Final Fantasy VII. I like GameCube better than PS2. I think that the Sega CD is actually underrated! I still love Mode-7 effects. [/QUOTE]

It's actually pretty popular these days to favor FFVI over VII [smile]

I still stand by VII, though. Not any of the sequels or (shudder) the film--just the original FFVII.

The human drama of Final Fantasy games didn't really connect for me until I played VII (in 2009--I was pretty late to the party). But what impressed me far more than the overall story was the actual event direction--it was very cinematic without exaggerating or over-explaining the way many games do. The way the scene is enveloped in an ominous silence right before Aerith's death and how the piano strikes right as her Holy materia falls to the ground. There are no words--no dialogue--only raw, unflinching momentum. FF7 treads gently with serious themes while also having a keen eye for comedy and tragicomedy, as in the Don Corneo sequence or the scene where Cait Sith goes into the temple alone to get Black materia. I didn't play VI until later, and wasn't really as impressed as I had hoped to be. I, for one, had really come to love the 3-person, 3D battles standardized by VII. Furthermore, VII struck me as a game that tried to speak to real world issues: economic disparity, environmental decline, terrorism, and aliens invading from outer space (Oh wait...).

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » July 20th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Grand Theft Auto 5 is horribly inferior to GTA IV.

I like DooM II more than the first.;

The GBC is better than the GBA.

The GameCube sucks.

I love Strider Returns.

I can't stand Tetris, but love Tetris 2, and Tetris Attack.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » July 20th, 2014, 5:38 pm

I'm trying to think of contrary opinions and I'm having a really hard time. I guess I'm pretty status quo overall[smile]

- I'm actually not a huge fan of physical media either. I like cool packaging and well-done box art and extras like artbooks and stuff, but there's this weird anxiety I get with putting a disc or cartridge in that keeps me from playing more games than I otherwise would. It's hard to explain, but the trouble I have choosing a game disappears when I can just pick from an onscreen list of games (which is another benefit of hacking your systems)

- I really like a lot of early PS1/N64 style 3D graphics, often more than the cleaner PS2/XBox models. Those blocky, abstract-looking graphics sometimes have a lot more character and personality than the compact but bland models of the following generations (although I'll still take a well-designed later model over those mid-Ninties monstrosities)

- Castlevania IV is the worst Castlevania game I've ever played, in spite of the cool whip control and great music. Castlevania: Bloodlines usually gets shafted when talking about 16-bit Castlevania games, and I think it SMOKES IV. It's so slow and it takes forever to get going, and some of your enemies seem to take way too many hits. I'll even take Order of Ecclesia, a game that no one seems to like, over IV.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » July 20th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Valve is killing themselves with funny games and free-to-play. Ricochet is also one of their most strangely compelling games.

RPGs are the dullest genre out there.

Dig Dug is about as violent as Manhunt. Anyone who kills with a bike pump needs fixing.

Mario is the least interesting character I've ever seen.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » July 20th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Great thread !

I think the Sega CD is a sprite scaling powerhouse.

I like Cosmic Carnage on 32x and hate Star Wars Arcade.

I like older sports games more than modern 'realistic' ones.

Mario Kart games are 'meh'.

I also happen to think the Amstrad GX4000 has some decent games (I had one!).

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » July 20th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I find little to no appeal with GTA and Call of Duty, two of the industry prominent franchises.

Return to “Video Games General”