Unpopular Gaming Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » July 21st, 2014, 10:03 pm

[QUOTE=Edward]There is big time sexism in saints row. For example, there is a fast food restaurant in the game called "Freckle b***hes" an obvious parody of Wendy's. Is that supposed to be funny or biting satire? Its just sexism in my eyes.[/QUOTE]
If the term bìtch is sexism, then anything can be considered sexism. It's just a word. We do know that sexism only applies to things that actively demean women, right? Saint's Row makes fun of everyone equally, and that's all that matters.

Anyway, I don't want another derailed thread. I'm done here.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 21st, 2014, 10:49 pm

Instead of debating an unpopular opinion within this topic, please start a dedicated topic about the subject matter and it can be debated fully within.

Lets use this topic as the container for everything and then if you find one you really want to debate the merits of further, please create a new topic dedicated to it.  That way we can still keep some sort of list going and the topic organized.

Thanks,

Bud

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 22nd, 2014, 9:20 am

1. I don't like Madden.  I'm too dense to figure out the controls and can't read the plays.
  2. I get annoyed with COD games.  The infinite enemy respawns until you push forward enough really bugs the crap out of me.  
  3. I don't see what the fuss is with each new Mario game.  He jumps on stuff.  
  4. I don't get why there's a score counter in a 1-on-1 fighting game.  You won but I scored more points than you?  Yep, and I still lost.  I just don't get it.
  5. I don't mind paying for an Xbox Live subscription.  The value I get far exceeds what I'm paying.  48 games a year on Xbox Live and an online that works that supports cross game party chat is awesome.  
  6. I don't mind paying for a Playstation Plus subscription.  I was able to build up a huge Vita library before even owning the system.  That's freaking awesome.
  7. I've now found that I don't mind the concept of "Free to Play" games as I've found some can actually be quite good.  Clash of Clans is the only one that I play but to me it has as much gameplay theory applied to it as a Civilization game.  The game makes you think before making a selection and makes weighing the consequences fun.  This might be unpopular here on the forums but seems pretty popular elsewhere. 
  8. The Dreamcast was the best console in the 6th generation soundly beating the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube (although around here that might be considered acceptable)
  9. I didn't like Skyrim.  I get too sidetracked running up a mountain I saw that I can't seem to figure out how to get back and stay on track for completing whatever is the current quest.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » July 22nd, 2014, 11:22 am

I think Pokemon Colosseum is a better console Pokemon game than Pokemon Stadium. Pokemon Colosseum is the game Pokemon Stadium should have been.

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » July 22nd, 2014, 1:31 pm

Emulation of older hardware is awesome and emulations of the games themselves aren't much different, if at all, compared to the original physical versions; exceptions are for less popular consoles such as Arcadia 2001, Phillips CDi, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo 3DS. The latter three consoles are too recent to be emulated right now, while demand for the lesser known and mediocre consoles is quite nil.

Flash Carts are an excellent way to preserve retro gaming than collecting as the ROMs are just the dump of the actual game code; Atari 2600 Harmony Cart, NES Powerpak, and the Everdrive carts (which has NES, Master System, Mega Drive, TurboGrafx, Game Boy, Super NES, and N64 versions) all do an excellent job at creating a more authentic console experience and is less pressure on the wallet.

The Virtual Boy is in no way the worst console ever made, just only the worst Nintendo console; that title would go to Bally Astrocade as there are zero standout games (the best games are just a few ports of arcade games that were on the more popular consoles of its time and barely better), terrible controllers (the sticks require way too much throw making most of these games nearly unplayable), and perhaps the worst failure rate in console history makes this the most regrettable purchase in my 25 years of gaming (I'm 28). Also, I actually liked the Virtual Boy as a kid and rented it many times until my parents decided to just buy the console.

I hope more Western-developed games take more notes from Japanese game design; Western gaming, especially on PCs in the DOS era, don't hold up anywhere near as well as the Japanese-developed console games. With games like Shovel Knight, Shoot 1UP, and Volgarr the Viking, there is hope.

My all-time favorite Western-developed genre is Video Pinball as it has the pick-up-and-play factor that most Japanese-developed console games have, hence my username. The Pinball Arcade could be my most-played game on Steam.

Super Metroid has the worst designed mechanic I've ever played for such a game hyped beyond-belief; the wall-jumping controls are too unresponsive, so much so that I feel shouldn't have made it in the final release. It's still a quality game, but I've played lesser regarded games that have most of their mechanics more in-sync than the godawful than the wall-jumping in that game. Then again, I did play Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission before Super Metroid, so I might be just slightly spoiled. I honestly prefer the NES original as all mechanics are in-sync as well as having a way better soundtrack.

Contrary to modern popular beliefs, I think it's not insane to get into consoles from the second-generation of gaming; Kaboom!, Yar's Revenge, Frostbite, Frankenstein's Monster, and Pepper II are still awesome games.

Sports games need to stray away from simulation and be more arcade like to standout (American Football especially); this is the reason why most sports simulations tend to land in bargain bins.

Nintendo plays it less safe compared to the more successful rivals; if you ever see game sales threads on message boards, Nintendo's most popular IPs still sell more compared to their newer franchises. Even then, Nintendo's safest games still sell worse compared to safer games from companies like Ubisoft and EA.

Game music these days is just boring, drab, and unmemorable; it seems like catchy music is sacrificed in favor of a more "atmospheric" tone. As much flak as New Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man 10's soundtracks get, it's still better than the lifeless and drab music found in today's games.

Of all the three major console makers, Nintendo should last the longest as the company still creates great installments of their older IPs as well as great newer IPs; Sony and Microsoft feel more "corporate" and it shows with their first-party software. Nintendo, aside from low-budget indie games, really does feel like the last hope for creative game design. That said, I never want to see Nintendo have another monopoly like they had in the 8 and 16-bit eras.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » July 22nd, 2014, 2:05 pm

1. The conceit of video game console 'generations' can be more misleading than enlightening for looking at gaming history.  The second generation in particular includes consoles released over a six or seven year period of time including the 2600 and its successor in the 5200. 

2. The first generation should include dedicated handhelds, like the Mattel Football game GleeberGloben enjoyed. Otherwise, the first generation, while fun, simply lacks the diversity to be a real generation. Its more of a proto-generation, a prologue to the microprocessor based game machines to come.

3. The family computers were 'better' than the NES, because you not only played games, you programmed games.  You didn't just read gaming magazine, you read programming magazines.  You could create, as well as play.  You learned how computers worked, how they made music, or pictures, or emulated voices, or whatever.  The ability to have games on several diskettes, and write back to them, opened up many doors as well.  

4. The initial video game console generations should include the contemporary family computers.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » July 22nd, 2014, 4:25 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17]The initial video game console generations should include the contemporary family computers.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this and never understood why they aren't, perhaps because they had substantially longer live spans than your average console ?

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 22nd, 2014, 6:34 pm

[QUOTE=PinMike8666] Of all the three major console makers, Nintendo should last the longest as the company still creates great installments of their older IPs as well as great newer IPs; Sony and Microsoft feel more "corporate" and it shows with their first-party software. Nintendo, aside from low-budget indie games, really does feel like the last hope for creative game design. That said, I never want to see Nintendo have another monopoly like they had in the 8 and 16-bit eras.[/QUOTE]

Interesting post.

Just chimed in to say a Nintendo monopoly on console gaming would be the best possible outcome left. Put all the eggs in one basket. They already have fierce competition on software prices from mobile, and the secondary market is stronger than ever before. Nintendo is not liekly to get lazy on game design or comlacent about controllers. Their teams are too deep and too proud to put out junk. They have by far the best leadership and most value for the dollar than their competitors.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » July 22nd, 2014, 9:57 pm

When there is a monopoly, the consumer experience dwindles slow and painful.

Take Gamestop for example.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 22nd, 2014, 11:30 pm

I've always had a great experience as a consumer with Gamestop.  

Return to “Video Games General”