Your Least Favorite Genre?

General and high profile video game topics.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » December 7th, 2014, 10:35 am

Those stupid music games like Guitar Hero. Ugh!

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » December 7th, 2014, 10:50 am

I give most genres ago, I didn't like RPG's previously but they are starting to grow on me now after playing Final Fantasy, Vay and Phantasy Star.
I can't get into serious flight simulators or heavy going strategy games just not enough happening for me.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » December 7th, 2014, 10:58 am

I thoroughly dislike RPG's too for the exact same reasons. It's just a different type of gamer that enjoys that sort of stuff, albeit a huge population. People that like RPG's generally have their own set of guidelines for what they like and it carries over to other genres. I feel very, very different than people whose fancy is tickled by these games. And then RPG'ers (I claim that term) come back and call us macho, dumb, and shortsighted and say we only like games with bad language and heavy violence and probably listen to raunchy gangster rap that embraces sexism and the thug life. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » December 7th, 2014, 12:18 pm

I don't think its a matter of two separate types of gamer. I for one like both action and role playing games. Moreover, there are quite a few games that fall somewhere in between, like Dark Souls or Shovel Knight. For me, what stands out about RPGs as a genre is the focus on long-term planning. In action games, your choices in the short term don't make a big difference in the long term because there are far fewer variables that require user input. What variables there are typically stay variable--picking up the master sword doesn't mean that Link is specializing in melee weapons to the detriment of his ranged skills, for example; he can pick up and use a bow at any time with equal facility. In RPGs, you have to make hard choices that determine your particular challenge and strategy for the duration of the game.

I can understand the appeal of instant gratification in other genres, but to characterize RPG players with a general point of view oversimplifies the matter. They scratch different itches, surely, but they both have equal merit. Instead of asking "what genre," people should ask "is it good or not"? Just my two cents.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » December 7th, 2014, 1:01 pm

I'd say realistic sports guys and realistic simulation games by default. On the rare occasions I get to play with my cousins it often ends up being a newer Madden or NHL game and I feel totally lost when trying to learn or remember the controls - as opposed to NBA Jam or Tecmo Bowl, which I can immediately understand and enjoy. Having said that, the slower realistic sports games that we've played (the MLB and PGA games) are much more fun for me, since the pace allows me to figure the games out as I'm going. I do realize that this same complaint can be leveled at fighting games (one of my favorite genres), but at least those are usually colorful and visually imaginative and offer a lot of different types of characters to choose from.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » December 7th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Strongly disagree on FPS, I love the genre because it has so many different sub-genres, they are most certainly not all exactly the same.

I'm also generally not too big on puzzle games(mainly cause i'm not very good at puzzles).

With RPGs it's not so much that I dislike them as they just require far too much of a time investment, i'm willing to make an exception for some games like the Fallout, Deus Ex, Mass Effect series.

I do like games with RPG elements, Alpha Protocol being one of my personal favorites.

Used to play flight sims as a kid, but now they bore me, I also can't get into grand strategy games like the Civilization series.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 7th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Realistic sport games bore me to tears, give me Soccer Brawl (Neo Geo) any day over FIFA..
Most FPS and realistic racers, just not for me. I'll play everything else.

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » December 7th, 2014, 3:33 pm

I have to say I dislike the RTS genre (in general) though there are exceptions.  Not a fan of 'timed' events that is the rule in this arena, or missions for that matter in other games (i.e. GTA et al).

Terry

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 7th, 2014, 4:21 pm

[QUOTE=Captain_Crunch]Yeah, I don't enjoy a lot of sport games (except soccer and tennis) either. However, my least favorite genre is serious racing game. I like Mario Kart and Micro Machines, but I don't have the patience to play games like Forza and Grid. I always find those games way too hard and I'm not interested in putting any effort in it.[/QUOTE]

haha, I 100% agree with this.  I'm the same way.  I stink at sports games and am absolutely terrible at racing games.  Hence, I have zero interest in them.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » December 7th, 2014, 9:47 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]In RPGs, you have to make hard choices that determine your particular challenge and strategy for the duration of the game.[/QUOTE]

That might be part of my problem. I don't want to spend a lot of time following an upgrade-path only to find out I made a poor decision earlier in the game.

There are enough hard decisions in real life, too many of them in a game is a turn-off to me.

Return to “Video Games General”