Top 10 Favorite Mario Platformers Of All Time- 2015 Addition

General and high profile video game topics.
LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » January 17th, 2015, 6:46 pm

So, almost everyone in the world loves Mario platformers, and I feel sorry for those who don't (for the record, that was just a joke, as I do respect differing opinions), as they are some of the most fun, polished, and well made games of any genre, period. They're certainly at the top of the platformer food chain. So why don't we list our favorites? Here are mine, keeping in mind that there are still some I don't have enough experience with to accurately judge, so games like Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't be on my list.

[250px-SmG] 

10. Super Mario Galaxy- Originally this spot was going to go to Super Mario Land 2, but I want to play some more of that game before putting it on a list. Anyway, Super Mario Galaxy easily deserves its acclaim, even if I do prefer the other 3D Mario games. Putting Mario in space was a great idea, and the level design is amazing.

[275px-NewSuperMarioBrothers] 

9. New Super Mario Bros.- After 14 long years (11 if you count Yoshi's Island), Mario returned to his 2D roots, and the result was amazing. You got some cool powerups, some good music, some fun boss battles, some good level design, and most importantly, sheer 2D Mario fun.

[250px-Mariobox-noscale] 

8. New Super Mario Bros. Wii- Everything that made the DS hit great was improved here. Overall cooler powerups (though I do miss the Koopa Shell), better visuals, a better soundtrack, the return of the Koopalings, and did I mention 4 player platforming action? Yeah, this game is some good times.

[250px-SMB2_Boxart] 

7. Super Mario Bros. 2- As unpopular as this opinion is, I prefer this over the original. That's right, I said it! I also feel it is a much superior sequel than the "real" SMB2, or Lost Levels. I loved the distinctions between the characters, and the throw everything gameplay. Plus, so many classic Mario enemies were introduced in this game.

[250px-SuperPaperMarioBoxart] 

6. Super Paper Mario- Yeah, I know this is from the Paper Mario series of RPGs, but really, this is more of a 2D platformer with RPG elements. With one of the best and most well developed stories in the Mario series, as well as some seriously fun mechanics, this game is way better than some Paper Mario fans would lead you to believe.

[250px-SMB3_Boxart] 

5. Super Mario Bros. 3- This game is legendary for a reason, and that's because it's an amazing game. This was a return to form after the polarizing SMB2, but it didn't rest on those laurels. No, it actually improved upon the SMB formula with its awesome powerups, larger focus on exploration, and huge worlds. This was Super Mario Bros: Bigger, Badder, And Better.

[250px-Box_NA_-_Super_Mario_Sunshine] 

4. Super Mario Sunshine- So, what do you get when you give Mario a jetpack and send him on an island vacation? Pure awesomeness, that's what! I know it's a controversial move putting this above such critically acclaimed games as Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario Galaxy, but I think this game deserves it with the sheer amount of fun you get out of it.

[300px-Super_Mario_World_Box] 

3. Super Mario World- Mario fans are always debating whether this or Super Mario Bros. 3 is the superior game, and as you can tell by its placement, I'm firmly in the SMW camp. It took everything that made SMB3 great, and made it better: Improved visuals, higher quality audio (and, IMO, a better soundtrack), a large connected world rather than 8 smaller worlds, and Yoshi! I also like the cape more than the raccoon tail. This game is platforming perfection.

[300px-SMW2] 

2. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island- Confusing name (I mean, this is in no way a sequel, but rather, a prequel), this game is my favorite 2D platformer ever. The egg throwing gameplay is unique, the art style is wonderful, it has great level design, awesome boss battles, no time limit which encourages exploration, and it has one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

[260px-Super_Mario_64_Boxart]   

1. Super Mario 64- Yeah, I'll admit that nostalgia probably had a part in my placing of this game, but this game was my childhood. I got this game on Christmas of 1998, and I loved it. I consider it the moment when I went from playing video games to being a legit gamer. Aside from that, it's simply a great game, with large 3D worlds to explore, awesome level design, great music, and fun challenges. Platforming simply doesn't get better than this groundbreaking title.

Anywho, what are your 10 favorite games from the platforming king himself?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 17th, 2015, 7:44 pm

I'll bite:

1/ Super Mario Galaxy. (Wii) Really a great game! Still have Galaxy 2 laying around like Logan, so I can't
compare, supposed to be even better from what I hear. Really like the mechanics and the crazy space physics.
The game looks great, too.

2/ Super Mario Bros 2. (NES) Not a true Mario as we're all aware by now, still one of my favorites. I suppose there' some
nostalgia in there, it just seemed to have so much more to chew than the first SMB back when it came out . Four characters,
vertical levels, better visuals, enemies with more soul to them (Ostro...).

3/ Super Mario All Stars. Ultimate Mario comp with all the NES games and Mario World as well if you get the right version.
Awesome visuals too. It does feature some minor differences. I'm not sure why it's only third in this list, I guess the original NES
Mario 2 had to be second, for nostalgia purposes... Clearly a must have, on SNES or Wii these days.

4/ The NSMB games (DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU). Great games. Highly playable. But you played one, you played them all. They all look and feel
the same. Diehard Mario enthusiasts will point out how one is different than the other, but... New Luigi is different, that's for sure. Can't say
the same about the others. I realize I'm being negative here a little, let's just say I feel one of those is all you need, but you do need to try one
at least, LOL.

5 / Super Mario RPG (SNES). A Square Soft RPG from the golden 16 Bit era. I don't have that many hours in, I believe it has the potential to rank
much higher on this list though. I need to spend more time with it.

6/ Super Mario Land (Game Boy). Supposed to be the weakest Game Boy game , I don't know, I'd say there 's beauty in its simplicity. Has a fun arcadey
feel. Love the special stages. So much fun, and the minimalist graphics are actually remarkably clean.

7/ Super Mario Bros 3. (NES) Astounding game, plenty of things to experience. Much better than Mario World due to the higher challenge. Still, while impressive
by NES standards, I just never could get into the aesthetics. The SNES revamp works much better for me, so I need to rank this below All Stars.

8/ Super Mario Bros. (NES). Played it so much as one of my very first games. Arcadey gameplay, highly innovative at the time... All Stars version is amazing.

9/ Yoshi's Island (SNES). This game is beautiful! Lovely colours, a true sense of style. The gameplay mechanics though, I'm not the biggest fan. And, Baby Mario? Nah...

10/ Super Mario World (SNES). Super Mario 4, as it used to go by prior coming out. Does a great job outlining the SNES special effects. Fun game, playable and all, and à major source of inspiration for the NSMB games . Way too easy though, no challenge. You can abuse extra lives so much they don't even deserve to be called "extra lives", and everything in general seems so damn easy. Yes, the ghost houses are pretty cool, and there are lots of hidden things, but you just can't experience game overs here, least you want it. With plenty of hidden stuff to find as well yet a better challenge, I'd recommend Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi's over this game. Not a total loss (it's in the list after all), perfect to introduce young kids to video games. Can't think of anything easier on the SNES.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » January 17th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Solid list, Olto. Despite it not being a platformer, I'm glad you included SMRPG (though perhaps it does count since it contains platforming), as that is my favorite Mario game of all time, period. Also, I realize I used the word "addition" rather than "edition," and I'm embarrassed. Can one of the mods change it, please?

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 18th, 2015, 8:18 am

Ermm I'm one of those who isn't a big fan of Mario, that's not to say I haven't played and enjoyed some of his titles though.

Super Mario Land 2 - Game Boy: This blew me away back in the day, I couldn't believe what my GB was producing! This was a console quality title both audio visually and in size and scope.

Super Mario Land - Game Boy: I don't understand why there isn't the fondness for this title, personally I like the non-slippy mechanic and probably my most frequently played portable title.

And er that's it. I don't enjoy Super Mario Bros that much, wasn't keen on Mario 64 either and thought Sonic 2 was loads better than Super Mario World. I do have Super Mario Galaxy 2 but I haven't played it yet.

Sorry Mario fans !

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » January 18th, 2015, 9:47 am

Oddly, my favorite will always be the original Super Mario Bros. (1) on NES. Secondly, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) was amazing.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 18th, 2015, 11:33 pm

1. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2- These are the best two 3D Mario games and greatly expand upon all the other 3D outings. Not even Super Mario 3D World beats these two games IMO.
2. Super Mario Bros 3- This is probably the Mario game I've spent the most time with as I've played through the game dozens of times and put a ton of hours into it. It's between this and New Super Mario Bros (Wii) for my favorite 2D Mario game but I think the historical impact makes me want to place it higher.
3. New Super Mario Bros (Wii)- An awesome Mario game and an awesome multiplayer game. I think the multiplayer really distinguishes this game from earlier entries. 
4. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island- Probably the most gorgeous Mario title to date and this game is really, really long. I've only beaten it once and man, it took me forever. The stages are huge, awesome power ups, and kudos to Nintendo for taking the series in a completely different route on this one. They took a big risk and it was worth it.
5. Super Mario World- Another excellent Mario title and this one has Yoshi, my favorite Mario sidekick.
6. Super Mario 3D World- This was just an excellent game all around, although I still feel like the Galaxy titles are straight up better.
7. Super Mario Land 2- An excellent GB title and an excellent Mario title. This was a huge upgrade to the original and I love playing this on my Super Game Boy.
8. Super Mario Bros- A fun game and an excellent Mario adventure. I had the hardest time beating this game but finally did it like a year ago.
9. Super Mario 64- A great game and was a huge influence on 3D gaming as a whole. I don't feel it has aged as well as the other titles thus it's lower ranking.
10.Super Mario Bros 2- A quirky title yet insanely addictive. I love the completely different feel to the game.

I didn't count any Mario titles that weren't technically platformers or several of the titles probably wouldn't have been ranked.

Return to “Video Games General”