Gaming Fundamentals have gone down the drain, games have degraded, and the game media has gone down with them....

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland171

Gaming Fundamentals have gone down the drain, games have degraded, and the game media has gone down with them....

Postby scotland171 » October 30th, 2013, 5:57 am

See http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/unepic-indie-game-6556186?trail=45&highlight=unepic#5 for small indie games that Sega-T likes. While those might be on WiiU, they certainly look like mobile game fare. If gameplay is king, then mobile games have a real home in the palace.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » October 30th, 2013, 8:44 am

Are they mobile? Or retro?

Can mobile or even PC match the controllers and convenience of Wii U? No.

Mobile is filled with cheap knock offs and watered down ports of console games. No friend of mine. Name the mobile developer equivalent of Nintendo. I see Rovio releasing a by the numbers Mario Kart knock off in the coming weeks, I have checked Nintendo's releases and see no evidence of an Angry Birds knock off.

I could compare Mobile to McDonalds, but that's not fair to McDonalds - at least you get something good for your dollar at the Golden Arches. No, mobile is more like Happy Meals toys - keeps the kids quiet for about 15 minutes, then throw it in the dumpster. Mobile is like your fry holder - has a lifetime of about 15 minutes, serves its purpose as you travel from counter to table, then in the dumpster shortly after.

Imagine what I could get selling my Nintendo game collection on the secondary market - hundreds of dollars. How bout mobile?

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 30th, 2013, 10:03 am

Now that analogy did make me laugh Sega very good. Now there is a lot of tosh on mobiles but there is some great stuff as well if you look, I could give you a list of Wii games that are of similar shallow, throwaway ilk.

So just to summarise your view, all Xbox, PS, mobile and tablet games are rubbish for one reason or other and the only good games are on Nintendo ?

I exaggerate with the summary of course. Again I understand your promotion of the Luigi Wii game, but to me at least it's upgrade/evolution of a game we've been playing for 30 years. Still no doubt great fun but hardly fresh and exciting and delivering a new experience.

Let me put it another way, the first time I played Metal Gear Solid (PS1) and Bioshock (PS3) I thought 'wow this IS next generation'.

Does Luigi Wii U do that ? Or any recent Nintendo game ? The Wii U needs a killer app that's NEW not yet another Mario, Zelda remake/reimagine. I want a reason to pick up a Wii U and Nintendo has yet to give me one.

You mention gameplay fundamentals but things have moved on, what was good 30 years ago may not be enough now, perhaps we want to feel like we are in a Hollywood action movie or a strange new world like Rapture is fresh and exciting. Perhaps the fundamentals you speak of are outdated ? Not particularly my opinion as I play retro games just as much as the newer games but I appreciate both.

Brilliant topic Sega and a great source of debate.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » October 30th, 2013, 1:43 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]Again I understand your promotion of the Luigi Wii game, but to me at least it's upgrade/evolution of a game we've been playing for 30 years. Still no doubt great fun but hardly fresh and exciting and delivering a new experience.

Let me put it another way, the first time I played Metal Gear Solid (PS1) and Bioshock (PS3) I thought 'wow this IS next generation'.

Does Luigi Wii U do that ? Or any recent Nintendo game ? [/QUOTE]

For me, both Wii Sports and Wii Fit did that.  Those were two of the most exciting new games in recent years for me. 

Now, if you want something a little more hardcore, Skyward Sword did that for me, too.  I find it funny that when the Wii was announced, what was everyone excited for? -- Using the Wii remote as a sword and having your motions replicated on screen.  When the Wii didn't deliver this, lots of people were disappointed.  But then came motion plus and eventually Skyward Sword did deliver this, and not many people really seemed to care.  I found Skyward Sword to be very exiting and "next generation" as you put it, and I hope they don't abandon the Wii remote when they make the next Zelda.

As far as Luigi U, I've been playing it for a week, and I think the way that the VGC described Mario U perfectly fits this game:  "familiar yet fresh".  Lots of people are critical of Nintendo for relying on their old franchises, but I do think that most of their games, while familiar, do feel like a fresh experience.  New Mario Bros. and Luigi U don't necessarily break new ground, but they don't have to.  Fun is fun and not every game has to reinvent the wheel.  The best they could probably do is change the structure of the games, anyway.  If you start tinkering with the gameplay, you're probably asking for trouble.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » October 31st, 2013, 7:55 am

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ducktales/go/thread/view/144707/30116739/patch-update-10222013

Here is Capcom, patching Ducktales - the last patch detail :

Quick Cinema mode- This mode will skip most of the cutscenes when activated.  The option will show up if you have at least one playthrough completed, even it if was pre-patch.  It's not a true speedrun option like we wanted to, butsome areas, like removing the random number events proved to be risky.

Look at that. They spent so much time on the cut scenes, they will not remove them unless you have seen them at least once, and you cannot skip all of them because they are embedded so deep in the game, they claim? You cannot even have a true speed run option cause the game is shackled to the cartoon. I am not sure is I can move from my boycott, even with these improvements.

Ducktales and New Luigi have  essentially the same metascore. So how is a debauched remake like Ducktales held as the same quality as a fantastic Mario game with all new content that is a triumphant rebirth of challenge and creativity? Talk about disconnect.

I do not know why we would single New Luigi out for being 'more of the same' when it is exceptional, and plenty of more of the same games that are not very exceptional in the game play department or in their story telling  continue to get their 'franchise due' - a high score to go with the high marketing budget.

So that is my Nintendo difference. The best company because it has the best talent, the best management, and they have their priorities in order to give the best game play experience. .  You cannot play anything as good as New Luigi on iOS simply because the gimped control input would not allow it. No, that is the home of autorun Sonic.

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » October 31st, 2013, 11:14 am

I must say that some genres, like point-and-click Adventures and JRPGs, depend more on story than on gameplay.  Oddly, those genres aren't popular in our current story-obsessed market.  [confused]

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 31st, 2013, 2:13 pm

Congratulations, the thread is a trainwreck.

OP Eat Poodoo

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » October 31st, 2013, 4:30 pm

I agree.  Nintendo have destroyed video games with Mario and smash brothers!  Also sega releasing Sonic games over and over.  Nintendo are the company that started the sequels.  So let us all blame the first company to bring out the same game again and again on consoles Nintendo.

I the arcade there was Breakout and SuperBreakout so we could blame Atari as well...

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » November 1st, 2013, 3:41 pm

All joking aside.  Sequels are the bane of a gamers life.  Also annual refreshes of sports games.  I love original stuff. 
Though I think the topic title is far too bleak. 

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » November 1st, 2013, 4:38 pm

What's wrong with sequels? Does a good game not leave you wanting more? That creates a need doesn't it? Sequels fulfills that need.

Return to “Video Games General”