the Wii U is also the only new console with a video game worth playing.

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland171

Postby scotland171 » November 27th, 2013, 5:00 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]

Let me put it another way...I want balance from the game media

[/QUOTE]

As an experiment, try three nearly identical Google searches only changing the object of the sentence from Nintendo to Sony to Microsoft.

https://www.google.com/#q=gaming+media+have+a+bias+against+nintendo
https://www.google.com/#q=gaming+media+have+a+bias+against+sony
https://www.google.com/#q=gaming+media+have+a+bias+against+microsoft

Answer the question of how many people are asserting Microsoft has to swim upstream against a hostile media. How many are saying Sony does? Now compare the Microsoft and Sony responses to the many claiming Nintendo has to struggle like a spawning salmon swimming uphill to climb the dam. 

This is not to take sides here, or say there is a bias or anti-Nintendo agenda, or whether SegaT made a persuasive argument.  It could very well be that if Nintendo is not getting glowing press coverage for very good gaming reasons: say, the relative low number of 3rd party developers or not playing the 'my graphics can beat up your graphics' game. Maybe its the other way around with Nintendo getting some undeserved good press based on nostalgia, and a pass for going to the Mario Bros well more often then one of those novelty drinking birds.  

Whether there is a bias or not, there are quite a few that say there is.  

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 27th, 2013, 7:37 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
So tell me this. Why do the consistently bad games and reviews from IGN NOT show up in their editorial? Why would they not be AGAINST having Kinect FORCE FED to the Xbone consumer at a high cost to said consumer both in money for something they probably do not want and likely will not be used well in game play, and in privacy, for a camera, that does not blink, in their living room, ideally on, from MS stand point,  24/7?

You keep pointing out the cherries they put on the Nintendo ice cream, but where is the balance? Why do they not point out the garbage MS is forcing on them, from a consumer stand point? Who does IGN represent? Are they working for you, or working ON you?

[/QUOTE]
Here's a question back: Why do you care what they say about the Xbone in the Xbone section if they are saying good stuff about good Nintendo stuff in their Nintendo section?  Why do they have to tear down the Xbone in order for you to read their Nintendo stuff? 

And check out their list of action games they are most looking forward to.  X is there, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Bros, and that's just the Nintendo exclusives.  And look at the "pros and cons" part.  Worst thing said about Wii gamepad:
Bayonetta word of caution: "Wii U GamePad specific mechanics could impact core gameplay."

Worst thing said about PS4 controller:
Infamous: Second Son word of caution: PS4 touch pad stuff sucks, and for now Second Son's implementation seems weird and out of place

Man, I'm not telling you you have to love IGN, or IGN's "investigative journalism desk that doesn't exist," or their Xbone coverage.  I'm just telling you that there's a lot of great Nintendo videos, walkthroughs, previews, podcasts, nostalgia pieces, etc. on one site you are writing off.  Again, your main point here in the original point of this thread was very well supported by them. 

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » November 27th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Wait, so you want IGN to only praise Nintendo and trash MS? Is that your idea of "balanced" journalism? I don't get it. Now, I don't like IGN myself, but at least be a little bit fair. If you want to criticize IGN for something, then why not criticize that they've been known to have "bought out" reviews and not just say "Well, IGN is teh suck because they don't show unequivocal respect for Nintendo and burning hatred for MS and Sony?"

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 27th, 2013, 11:25 pm

@Atari - Shouldn't they tear down bad game policies, regardless of who is doing it? Shouldn't they have consistent editorial for all consoles?

@Logan - what?

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 28th, 2013, 10:14 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]@Atari - Shouldn't they tear down bad game policies, regardless of who is doing it? Shouldn't they have consistent editorial for all consoles?

[/QUOTE]

No, I don't think so.  My favourite news magazine (Macleans) has some writers who are libertarians, some who are somewhat more liberal, some who are crazy out of touch conservatives who haven't realized liberatarians have replaced them, etc.  They obviously don't all agree, and it's not impossible that an issue has two people arguing each side of the same argument in two different articles.  Thus sometimes the magazine would seem to "agree" with one thing, and other times to "disagree" with the same thing.  That's because the people write the articles, not the magazine.  The magazine doesn't write anything.  It just holds articles.  At IGN, if Ryan (their main Xbox guy) loves the XBone, it isn't their job to tell him to hate it.  It is your job, as a reader, to realize you and Ryan see things very differently.  

You have obviously had little trouble finding any number of facts out about the Xbone, since well before it launched.  I don't see how any "bias" you perceive has impacted you. I am certainly well aware of why I don't want one, and I read IGN all the time.  

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » December 4th, 2013, 10:05 am

Again, I know everyone here will hate him because of his persona (and maybe because of his arguments), but I thought this Jimquisition would be of interest on this topic:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8494-Who-Won-The-Next-Gen-Launch

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » December 6th, 2013, 7:33 am

Right.  You title this thread "the Wii U is also the only new console with a video game worth playing" and then complain you're looking for fair and balanced opinions?   [rolleyes]

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 6th, 2013, 8:12 am

[QUOTE=Sudz]Right.  You title this thread "the Wii U is also the only new console with a video game worth playing" and then complain you're looking for fair and balanced opinions?   [rolleyes][/QUOTE]

Read the article.

It is THEIR LINE.

And it is true, if you use the New Mario game as a measuring stick against the other consoles lineups.

Sorry. Can you name a title on Xbone or PS4 that can match the new Mario?

Can you name a title that is outstanding by any measure?

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 6th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Many critics have called PS4 and Xbox One titles "oustanding", so whether Mario is "better" is merely your OPINION, not a FACT.  You seem to keep getting those two confused for some reasons.

Return to “Video Games General”