the Wii U is also the only new console with a video game worth playing.

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 6th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Personally, I liked the following information provided in the article:

If the Wii U is your only console, you still can’t play the rest of the this year’s best games, including Grand Theft Auto V, BioShock Infinite, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, The Last of Us and Gone Home. You would need at least two more machines to play all of those.

But for the first time, you need a Wii U to play one of the year’s best video games. For beleaguered Wii U owners, that’s probably enough.

I started playing Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch this week.  Pretty good stuff.  

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 6th, 2013, 5:17 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Personally, I liked the following information provided in the article:

If the Wii U is your only console, you still can’t play the rest of the this year’s best games, including Grand Theft Auto V, BioShock Infinite, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, The Last of Us and Gone Home. You would need at least two more machines to play all of those.

But for the first time, you need a Wii U to play one of the year’s best video games. For beleaguered Wii U owners, that’s probably enough.

I started playing Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch this week.  Pretty good stuff.  

[/QUOTE]

Those are not Xbone or PS4 games. And neither of those two consoles is backward compatible.

So that underscores the article writers point - the only new gen console worth owning at this point is the Wii U, on the strength of having one amazing game that the others cannot match.

The NY Tim,es is CRITIQUING the ENTIRE industry, instead of just being a shill, and pumping up the new Xbox and or PS4 simply because they are new, and you should buy it by default.

For the game media, which CRITIQUES and SCORES games, this is a very important distinction - they need to have editorial balance to have credibility. And this is another reason that the game media does not have credibility. They have no editorial standards or equality in reporting.

Hence why this NY TImes article is actually worth reading, and is thought provoking, and legitimate media. It is not just an outlet for MS or Sony PR.

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » December 7th, 2013, 1:25 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]

Those are not Xbone or PS4 games. And neither of those two consoles is backward compatible.

So that underscores the article writers point - the only new gen console worth owning at this point is the Wii U, on the strength of having one amazing game that the others cannot match.

The NY Tim,es is CRITIQUING the ENTIRE industry, instead of just being a shill, and pumping up the new Xbox and or PS4 simply because they are new, and you should buy it by default.

For the game media, which CRITIQUES and SCORES games, this is a very important distinction - they need to have editorial balance to have credibility. And this is another reason that the game media does not have credibility. They have no editorial standards or equality in reporting.

Hence why this NY TImes article is actually worth reading, and is thought provoking, and legitimate media. It is not just an outlet for MS or Sony PR.[/QUOTE]

Again - you are taking opinion and trying to argue it as fact.  The article writers opinion is that the Wii U has a single game that is more fun than any other game on any other platform and therefore his opinion is that the Wii U is the only console worth purchasing at this time.  You say it's based on the strength of "one amazing game" - but what if I don't find that game amazing, or even enjoyable?  He's welcome to his opinion and you're welcome to yours.  But just because someone else prefers, say, Knack to Just Dance 5 or Ryse: Son of Rome to Monster Hunter 3 doesn't make them 'wrong'.  You seem to mistake editorial balance and journalistic credibility with anything that simply reinforces your own opinion.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 7th, 2013, 4:57 pm

[QUOTE=C64_Critic][QUOTE=Segatarious]

Hence why this NY TImes article is actually worth reading, and is thought provoking, and legitimate media. It is not just an outlet for MS or Sony PR.[/QUOTE]

Again - you are taking opinion and trying to argue it as fact.  The article writers opinion is that the Wii U has a single game that is more fun than any other game on any other platform and therefore his opinion is that the Wii U is the only console worth purchasing at this time.  You say it's based on the strength of "one amazing game" - but what if I don't find that game amazing, or even enjoyable?  He's welcome to his opinion and you're welcome to yours.  But just because someone else prefers, say, Knack to Just Dance 5 or Ryse: Son of Rome to Monster Hunter 3 doesn't make them 'wrong'.  You seem to mistake editorial balance and journalistic credibility with anything that simply reinforces your own opinion.[/QUOTE]

Obviously this is an opinion piece. What is your point?

My point in posting this was this ---> it was refreshing to see ONE WRITER in a mainstream media organization take a fair and balanced look at all of the consoles, instead of just hyping the 'big boys' simply because the writers and sites they represent are beholden to advertising money.

It was nice to have an unbiased opinion, rather than a token/apologist opinion.

Different opinions do have differing quality due to the credibility and track record of the source.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » December 7th, 2013, 10:12 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Obviously this is an opinion piece. What is your point?[/QUOTE]

That you present all of your opinions as facts, maybe?

[QUOTE=Segatarious]My point in posting this was this ---> it was refreshing to see ONE WRITER in a mainstream media organization take a fair and balanced look at all of the consoles, instead of just hyping the 'big boys' simply because the writers and sites they represent are beholden to advertising money.

It was nice to have an unbiased opinion, rather than a token/apologist opinion.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to get an unbiased opinion from you for a change.  That however will NEVER happen because you are a token apologist for Nintendo.  You don't own the consoles you are criticizing.  You don't play their games.  You read a few online statements and then go on some kind of evangelical crusade.  You rail on their games that you've, again, never played.  You're entitled to your opinion, but you are all about spinning your opinions as facts.

I don't think anything the alt. critic said here is all that baffling.  If you didn't present everything you said and did as an apologist statement for Nintendo, or as a fact that cannot be refuted when you JUST admitted it's all opinion, nobody here would have a problem with you.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 8th, 2013, 8:18 am

[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=Segatarious]Obviously this is an opinion piece. What is your point?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Segatarious]My point in posting this was this ---> it was refreshing to see ONE WRITER in a mainstream media organization take a fair and balanced look at all of the consoles, instead of just hyping the 'big boys' simply because the writers and sites they represent are beholden to advertising money.

It was nice to have an unbiased opinion, rather than a token/apologist opinion.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to get an unbiased opinion from you for a change.  That however will NEVER happen because you are a token apologist for Nintendo.  You don't own the consoles you are criticizing.  You don't play their games.  You read a few online statements and then go on some kind of evangelical crusade.  You rail on their games that you've, again, never played.  You're entitled to your opinion, but you are all about spinning your opinions as facts.

I don't think anything the alt. critic said here is all that baffling.  If you didn't present everything you said and did as an apologist statement for Nintendo, or as a fact that cannot be refuted when you JUST admitted it's all opinion, nobody here would have a problem with you.[/QUOTE]

First of all, I did not present my opinions or this writers opinions as fact. I simply posted a link to an interesting video game  article from a major new source, sourced it, encouraged people to read the entire article before posting, and added my own thoughts and commentary.

NONE of that can be construed as 'posting my opinions as fact'

Then, in the discussion that followed, I respeonded to people who challenged my opinion, or asked me to explain it further. Standard forum discussion. I have never 'apologized' for anything Nintendo has done. how can I? I am not Nintendo. I have not 'wronged' you. If you want an apology from Nintendo, write them a letter for your grievance. It has nothing to do with me.

Please send me this list of games I have 'never played' All assumptions on your part - totally. You have no idea what I do and do not have access to. And if I am critiquing video game story,as I sometimes do - watching Youtube is obviously enough for that, isn't it?

The irony here is that you want everyone on the forum to play by 'your rules' (read, YOUR opinions) and if they do not, you attack them. I do not have that problem.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » December 8th, 2013, 12:17 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=Segatarious]Obviously this is an opinion piece. What is your point?[/QUOTE]

I don't think anything the alt. critic said here is all that baffling.  If you didn't present everything you said and did as an apologist statement for Nintendo, or as a fact that cannot be refuted when you JUST admitted it's all opinion, nobody here would have a problem with you.[/QUOTE]

First of all, I did not present my opinions or this writers opinions as fact. I simply posted a link to an interesting video game  article from a major new source, sourced it, encouraged people to read the entire article before posting, and added my own thoughts and commentary.

NONE of that can be construed as 'posting my opinions as fact'

Then, in the discussion that followed, I respeonded to people who challenged my opinion, or asked me to explain it further. Standard forum discussion. I have never 'apologized' for anything Nintendo has done. how can I? I am not Nintendo. I have not 'wronged' you. If you want an apology from Nintendo, write them a letter for your grievance. It has nothing to do with me.

Please send me this list of games I have 'never played' All assumptions on your part - totally. You have no idea what I do and do not have access to. And if I am critiquing video game story,as I sometimes do - watching Youtube is obviously enough for that, isn't it?

The irony here is that you want everyone on the forum to play by 'your rules' (read, YOUR opinions) and if they do not, you attack them. I do not have that problem.[/QUOTE]

Sigh. Steer, m0zart is right. You just beat the same drum over and over and over and over again. A few years ago, it was making post after post after post about sales numbers of the Wii, and how awesome and great the Wii is, and how everyone is against the Wii. The ironic thing is most people here at this site liked the Wii, but you would state repeatedly how everyone hated the Wii and Nintendo, then go on with the sales numbers. It's like you were trying to pick a Nintendo fight here with people who liked the Wii.

Now the Wii U is not performing as well as the Wii, now it's thread after thread after thread after thread of how the gaming industry is going down the tubes and only Nintendo can save it. It's the same thing all over again. I don't really know what you want us to say, other than "Yes Steer, you are right. Nintendo is our savior".

I've stated before that I was glad that you were back from your ban. I admire your passion of video games, and that you don't really attack anyone personally. But it's just the same diatribe now of anything and anyone who is not Nintendo, and it's becoming pretty tiresome. I just wish you'd change your tune every once in a while.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 8th, 2013, 1:31 pm

You attack everyone who dares criticize Nintendo for certain things(like omitting manuals and not releasing certain games on disc) and praises Sony or Microsoft for anything, so you really have no room to call other people out, no one's "attacking" you, they're correcting you and rightfully so.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » December 9th, 2013, 6:54 pm

[CODE]
Originally Posted by Segatarious

Please send me this list of games I have 'never played' All assumptions on your part - totally. You have no idea what I do and do not have access to. And if I am critiquing video game story,as I sometimes do - watching Youtube is obviously enough for that, isn't it? [/CODE]

If you have played, just for example, Ryse or Assassin's Creed 4, then why not post about them in the Now Playing section?
That way you could break down what you feel their shortcomings are and detail what the games could do to improve.
I'd personally much rather hear your constructive criticism of something in that fashion than seeing you argue with a dozen posters in an unending thread (although admittedly some of those threads do yield interesting discussions). You're obviously intelligent and passionate about a particular philosophy of game design, so why not use your knowledge to critique the Western games you disapprove of in a more individualized, specific manner?

Return to “Video Games General”