the Wii U is also the only new console with a video game worth playing.

General and high profile video game topics.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 27th, 2013, 6:18 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]I admit I am confused by the responses so far.

I post a NY Times article, and you suggest I go listen to an IGN podcast? I cannot stand IGN, and I do not give them page hits very often. Also even if I liked their writing or editorial content, their site is an add infested mess. They are the ass end of game journalism. I do not have the patience to watch their videos or reviews for more than 10 seconds. No thanks.

[/QUOTE]
I'm just trying to direct you, a Nintendo fan, to some of the best Nintendo content on the internet.  As for ads, the link I sent is to the podcast page, which has no ads at all.  They don't make any money off their podcasts (most people even download them from iTunes which pays them nothing and which actually sends people elsewhere for the content).  They just do them because they like talking about games.  As for why I posted this, I did it because you put up a link to an article calling 3D World the best game to play right now so I was saying "Hey IGN just said it was one of the two best games to play right now too (the other being another Nintendo game), just go listen to their podcast to see how much they loved it!"  To which you replied "IGN is poop."  

For some reason you've never figured IGN out.  Each "channel" is run by fans of the respective system.  So yeah, maybe the Xbox topics there are more excited about Xbox, but that's because most articles there (not all) come from the people at IGN most passionate about the Xbox. However, if you do the math, you'll see that most of the content on the Nintendo section must then be from Nintendo fans.  In particular, Jose has really turned the channel around, increasing content and doing some fantastic reviews.  Again, I don't think this is your father's IGN Nintendo coverage anymore Steer, and I, honestly, really, truly think you'd like the Nintendo channels there.  

They are ccertainly in agreement with you on this topic.  

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 27th, 2013, 6:45 am

The point I suspect is that one of the top media groups in this business that you've attacked for being blind and being ran by funding to run the game media equivalent of a propaganda machine is actually praising several recent Nintendo projects.

In effect, they're in actuality not guilty of what you've claimed and this is the latest evidence of that. Gamers and the gaming media alike are fully able to recognize quality. The one that lacks that capability seemingly is you. That you're trying to portray this article as such a rarity and as from one of the few individuals seemingly able to be objective about videogaming when two recent handheld and console Nintendo projects are receiving essentially universe acclaim just shows how much you're ignorant of this industry and its customers. 

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 27th, 2013, 8:29 am

[QUOTE=Leo]The point I suspect is that one of the top media groups in this business that you've attacked for being blind and being ran by funding to run the game media equivalent of a propaganda machine is actually praising several recent Nintendo projects.

In effect, they're in actuality not guilty of what you've claimed and this is the latest evidence of that. Gamers and the gaming media alike are fully able to recognize quality. The one that lacks that capability seemingly is you. That you're trying to portray this article as such a rarity and as from one of the few individuals seemingly able to be objective about videogaming when two recent handheld and console Nintendo projects are receiving essentially universe acclaim just shows how much you're ignorant of this industry and its customers. 

[/QUOTE]

Leo, please.

The hypocrisy and bias of the media, especially IGN has been on display for ages now. Do I have to call to mind the Kinect debacle? IGN was 'cool' on motion gaming - to say the LEAST - until all the Kinect money feel in their lap. They desperately hyped Kinect, help up 'Dance Central' as a killer app to justify its purchase, and then said - be patient - wait for the second wave of Kinect games. The 2nd wave rolls in, worse than the first wave - did they begin to bash Kinect? No. They said - wait for Kinect 2.

Kinect 2 is announced - with no games. Just unprecedented living room DRM, coupled with severe privacy concerns. Virtually no games.

Has IGN criticised Kinect for any of this? No. Why bite the hand that feeds you? Just change your viewpoint.

See also the hypocrisy of console launches. Where are the articles form the mainstream game press ripping Sony and MS for weak software at launch? I sure saw them for Wii U. No one in IGN will stand in the way of a hardcore console launch, no matter how bad they are, and no matter how odious the business practices that continue to evolve.

I see Nintendo ripped all the time for 'backwards' (free) online. Where is the concern, from mainstream editorial, again, for microtransactions in FULL PRICED games from MS, the subscription pay walls, at the other end of the spectrum?

As I said, Leo, please.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 27th, 2013, 10:28 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]

See also the hypocrisy of console launches. Where are the articles form the mainstream game press ripping Sony and MS for weak software at launch? I sure saw them for Wii U. No one in IGN will stand in the way of a hardcore console launch, no matter how bad they are, and no matter how odious the business practices that continue to evolve.

[/QUOTE]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_media_effect

[QUOTE]a perceptual theory of mass communication that refers to the finding that people with strong biases toward an issue (partisans) perceive media coverage as biased against their opinions, regardless of the reality. Proponents of the hostile media effect argue that this finding cannot be attributed to the presence of bias in the news reports, since partisans from opposing sides of an issue perceive the same coverage differently[/QUOTE]

IGN initial review of Kinect when it was new and most promising: 7.5

Metacritic scores for Kinect games:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/xbox360?view=condensed&sort=desc&hardware=kinect

And the high ones include anything considered "Kinect Compatible."  Oh yeah, the media is all over promoting that device. 

Meanwhile, IGN dedicates an hour long podcast to just praising two Nintendo games, puts up a bunch of videos of 3D World (and only stop when they reach the limit to the content Nintendo itself allows them to preview), brings up Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 multiple times ion the debate over best year this generation, grants exclusive time on their show "up at Noon" to a Nintendo PR person to preview a new area in the game, do a video on the editor's favourite levels in 3D World, do videos of reading old issues of Nintendo Power, are the people Nintendo itself brings in to first unveil the 2DS, and on and on, and that somehow shows how "teh bias" they are.  Know where their last main Nintendo editor (Rich) works now?  Where he got hired away from IGN to go?  Nintendo's PR firm.  Yeah.  They're really on Nintendo's bad side alright.  They hired the guy who covered them there to start advertising for them.

Please steer.  Read something there for goodness sake. 

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 27th, 2013, 10:29 am

Let me put it another way.

I am not looking for 'sunshine' articles for Nintendo, nor am I denying that some of their games have gotten (deservedly) generally high marks. (Though many more have been unfairly crapped on)

This NY Times article is not a sunshine article for anyone - but it is BALANCED!!!

I want balance from the game media - but they are such payed for shills that balance is impossible from them. Instead of balance you consistently get heavily skewed editorial reporting, highly in favor of MS and the West, mixed (most lately, this last gen) on Sony, and overwhelmingly negative and unfair against Nintendo. If you can not identify and admit to the editorial slant in whatever you are reading, whatever the subject, than you are at the mercy of the writer.

And with this game media, that means you have been overwhelmed and bamboozled by man-children.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » November 27th, 2013, 12:28 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]I admit I am confused by the responses so far.

[/QUOTE]

Apparently you cannot read before posting so I'll baby you through it:

Step 1: Read the freaking post that linked you to a Nintendo Podcast

Step 2: Never speak of this moment again

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » November 27th, 2013, 1:03 pm

I enjoyed SM3W. But saying it's the only game worth playing? Pfft. I have Rayman Legends to play, and all of the Rayman Platformers can beat Mario.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » November 27th, 2013, 2:08 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]I admit I am confused....

I liked.....  Ryse

[/QUOTE]
I am so glad that you now like Ryse.  I have seen the deeper meaning in your message.    

I re read the article and it does not say that the Wii U is the one great system available now.  It says it is the smart choice after a lacklustre start.  Talk about putting words in someone else's mouth.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » November 27th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Super Mario World 3D World looks awesome.

PS4's Resogun looks awesome.

I have neither system, so I can't make credible judgments either way. 

However, seeing how the PS4 and XB1 have only been out for like a week, I'm guessing the author of the NY Times article meant: "I spent all my gaming time this weekend on SMW3D," not "creativity in gaming resembles a strip mining operation."

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 27th, 2013, 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Segatarious]

[/QUOTE]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_media_effect

[QUOTE]a perceptual theory of mass communication that refers to the finding that people with strong biases toward an issue (partisans) perceive media coverage as biased against their opinions, regardless of the reality. Proponents of the hostile media effect argue that this finding cannot be attributed to the presence of bias in the news reports, since partisans from opposing sides of an issue perceive the same coverage differently[/QUOTE]

IGN initial review of Kinect when it was new and most promising: 7.5

Metacritic scores for Kinect games:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/xbox360?view=condensed&sort=desc&hardware=kinect

And the high ones include anything considered "Kinect Compatible."  Oh yeah, the media is all over promoting that device. 

Meanwhile, IGN dedicates an hour long podcast to just praising two Nintendo games, puts up a bunch of videos of 3D World (and only stop when they reach the limit to the content Nintendo itself allows them to preview), brings up Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 multiple times ion the debate over best year this generation, grants exclusive time on their show "up at Noon" to a Nintendo PR person to preview a new area in the game, do a video on the editor's favourite levels in 3D World, do videos of reading old issues of Nintendo Power, are the people Nintendo itself brings in to first unveil the 2DS, and on and on, and that somehow shows how "teh bias" they are.  Know where their last main Nintendo editor (Rich) works now?  Where he got hired away from IGN to go?  Nintendo's PR firm.  Yeah.  They're really on Nintendo's bad side alright.  They hired the guy who covered them there to start advertising for them.

Please steer.  Read something there for goodness sake. 

[/QUOTE]

So tell me this. Why do the consistently bad games and reviews from IGN NOT show up in their editorial? Why would they not be AGAINST having Kinect FORCE FED to the Xbone consumer at a high cost to said consumer both in money for something they probably do not want and likely will not be used well in game play, and in privacy, for a camera, that does not blink, in their living room, ideally on, from MS stand point,  24/7?

You keep pointing out the cherries they put on the Nintendo ice cream, but where is the balance? Why do they not point out the garbage MS is forcing on them, from a consumer stand point? Who does IGN represent? Are they working for you, or working ON you?

Return to “Video Games General”