Reasons to consider PC gaming this generation.

General and high profile video game topics.
weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » March 29th, 2014, 12:51 am

First a disclaimer, I'm not trying to FORCE you to switch, I'm simply stating why I Think you all should switch to PC gaming.

Exclusives.

I never hear any console gamers even acknowledge PC exclusives. Fact is, there are ALOT of games that you can get on PC you can't get on consoles.

Here are quite a few AAA titles ONLY on PC.

Arma II, Arma II, DayZ, The Swapper, Gone Home, Anti-Chamber, GunPoint, Rust, and the list goes on! While there are exclusives on consoles, there are MANY more games on PC than you would get on consoles.

Superior ports.

First of all, Darkrage, I know what you're going to say, GTA IV was buggy on PC. Install the latest patch before you comment please.

MOST of the time, but not all, PC versions of games are superior. And it's almost always for one simple reason, framerate. The Grand Theft Auto games in particular stick out in this regard. Playing on console typically means a frame rate at 30 frames or below 30 frames, but on the PC, it's as much as your hardware can handle! Playing San Andreas on the PC is like playing a TOTALLY different game! Also, FPS games are almost ALWAYS better on PC. Smoother FPS, better controls, and insane graphics! Team Fortress 2 on the Xbox and PS3, while they will do the job, can't even compare to the excellent PC release of the game. With it's constant updates, not to mention how it's FREE, there's a huge reason to play on pc, and no reason to really play it on console. But if you're one of the 5 people on the planet who prefer FPS games, with controllers, you can always just use a controller with most games if you wish.

An ACTUAL noticeable upgrade.

The PS4 and Xbox One fail to impress. The hardware was mid range a year before the systems came out.  Most likely because of their GPU's. Let's put it this way. A $150 dollar GPU can outperform the Xbox One and PS4 by a country mile. Just get a 750ti and you're good to go. Although that's not the card I have (I have an R9 290x) it will outperform both.

Just a few reasons to try it out.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 29th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Great another PC elitist post, just what this forum needed[rolleyes]

See the thing is I do both console and PC gaming, so why on earth should I only do one and not the other?  It just makes no sense at all for me to limit myself to only one type of experience.

Sure some PC ports like GTAIV get patched eventually, but others are not so lucky.  Arkham Origins for example STILL has some pretty glaring glitches even after the patches were issue(the "falling into an infinite void" thing still happens to several who have played the game) and the developers said they would not bother patching the game any further.

Some ports have that annoying restrictive DRM that makes playing the game a chore in itself, like Splinter Cell: Conviction, where you HAVE to maintain a constant internet connection or else the will not properly save, also the PC version of Double Agent is very prone to glitching and erasing game saves, whereas the 360 version does not have that problem. 

So no PC version are not ALWAYS "superior" that's just your opinion. Not all of us want to blow hundreds of dollars on a gaming rig, some of us would rather spend that money on either more games or a new console.  So quit trying to "sway" everyone to share your own personal opinion, cause it ain't gonna happen.

Funny you should mention framerate, some PC ports actually do not have a better framerate then their console counterparts.  Need For Speed Rivals for example has the game locked in at 30 FPS with no way to change it from the menu itself, if you actually use a command line to increase the frame-rate, then it breaks the game to the point where it becomes unplayable, oh and you can't skip any of the cutscenes, Totalbiscuit did a video on how bad the PC version was.

FPS games on PC are NOT "always better" not by a longshot, many people found the PC version of Halo inferior to the console version, and Halo 2 was made incompatible with XP and would only work with Vista(which was not popular at the time the PC port came out) or higher.  There are MANY people who feel that some FPS work better with controllers then with keyboards, why do you think so many PC ports give you the option of using a 360 controller instead of the keyboard and mouse?  So clearly it's more then just 5 people.

The PS4 and Xbox One both look plenty impressive, even at full price an Xbox One is more affordable to me then a top of the line gaming rig is.

Look dude, you think PC gaming is better good for you.  But not ALL of us share your opinion, I do like PC gaming but I feel there are areas in which it does come up short compared to console gaming.  I don't know why you're so obsessed with forcing your opinions in everyone's faces.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » March 29th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Who cares if Halo 2 wasn't on XP? How was that a downside? I don't blame MS for excluding that OS.....but I LOVED the MAC version of halo, it usually ran better.......

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » March 29th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Oh, and people complain about having GFWL to save games, that's NOT the case. Just create on offline profile, thats what I do

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » March 29th, 2014, 8:28 pm

weallmissedme really makes a compelling case here. It is interesting to see how and why people end up supporting which console. Times change.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 30th, 2014, 12:35 am

It's a big downside because many considered Vista to be inferior to XP, and as such it's market share was rather small in comparison, so making the game only work with Vista was a highly questionable choice.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » March 30th, 2014, 2:31 am

Sega- I'm not entirely PC. I picked a console this generation, it was the Wii U. I have my PC for a more traditional experience, and my Wii U for a unique experience. In my eyes, the Xbox One and PS4 are a bit too modern. The Wii U, I have no pesky day one update..none of that. And what happened to backwards compatibility? I can play my older PC games from the early 2000s. I can use a virtual machine and a copy of Win2k to play pre-2000 games. I can use a virtual machine and a CD copy of 95 to play DOS games. And my Wii U plays Wii games. So why can't the PS4 and Xbox One play 360 and PS3 games? Same goes with the 3DS. My 3ds plays DS games, why can't my Vita play PSP games? People love to shout how Sony is for the gamer from the rooftops, but if they're so "for the gamer" why is there absolutely NO backwards compatibility in the hardware? While I question Nintendo, I think out of the big 3, they have gaming in mind more than anything. Plug in your console, play games. See what I'm saying? While PC is TECHNICALLY not in that category, I have Steam, where my digital games actually hold value. They guarantee me, if they go belly up, I can burn my games and keep them. I don't think MS or Sony have that same policy, and neither does Nintendo.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » March 30th, 2014, 3:28 am

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

Great another PC elitist post, just what this forum needed[rolleyes]

I don't know why you're so obsessed with forcing your opinions in everyone's faces.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap.  I thought Weallmissedme was absolutely mature and reasonable with his post.  I don't think he came of as elitist or forcing his opinion on anyone at all (how do you do that on an open forum where you aren't forced to read his post anyway?) 

Darkrage, your post was exactly what you claimed his was when it wasn't.  The thread was perfectly fine until you got involved.  He had nothing to do with it.

You should be embarrassed for yourself.  Seriously, how old are you, anyway? 

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » March 30th, 2014, 4:18 am

I've tried PC gaming in the past and I ended up coming back to consoles, I spent £1500 on a gaming rig and it was out of date within 2 years. Personally I'd rather spend £300 - £400 on a console to know I will at least get 5 years out of it.

Then there is the ease of access aspect to consoles, they sit under my TV, you stick a disc in and away you go. PC gaming you have to install, spend 20 minutes per game optimising the settings which for the majority of the time a straight port of a console title.

I would also agree with Darkrage with the versions always being better on PC, in my experience I've very rarely found that to be true. Most games are designed with consoles in mind and then ported. And I agree with him regarding the controls, that's a very 90's argument, the dual stick controls of the PS and Xbox line are now as comfortable and playable as a keyboard and mouse. Again I come back to lounge gaming who wants to sit with a keyboard and mouse on their sofa ?

Regarding exclusives I can't really see how those you listed are anywhere near as exciting as the PS4, XBone and Wii U exclusives.

Unless there is some renaissance for PC gaming I'm not seeing, apart from the tech why would I buy a PC ? The games stores have small sections for the games, your always reading how tablet sales are now matching PC sales. And how many of those PC's are purchased for gaming ? The truth of the matter is developers will develop for the most profitable platform and if others are viable they will receive ports and pretty often lazy ports.

Don't get me wrong I don't hate PC gaming but it's not for me, that's not to say its not good but you understand why it's in (alleged) decline. To coin a phrase I tried it, I didn't like it.

I would add though that games built specifically for a PC can be hugely enjoyable such as World of Warcraft etc, some games you just couldn't do on console but more often then not for a game to sell well on PC you can't arm it with high Spec requirements (like WOW doesn't). But if a game came out for console and PC at the same time, I would go for the console version.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » March 30th, 2014, 8:41 am

Pardon the ignorance, but ...

What is GFWL?

Return to “Video Games General”