PC gaming is now the more profitable platform.

General and high profile video game topics.
weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » April 29th, 2014, 5:00 pm

According to this article, PC gaming generates more revenue in software sales than consoles due. Largely thanks to Steam.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/analyst-pc-gaming-now-brings-in-more-money-than-console-gaming/

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » April 29th, 2014, 5:54 pm

I'm not surprised. PCs have more uses and a larger software base, especially if you're willing to look outside Steam and at stuff from GOG or Abandonia.

There's also game modding, which companies are increasingly supporting. Valve and Rockstar still have lots of people playing their older games because of the mods.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » April 29th, 2014, 6:05 pm

It is interesting, thanks for the read.

The article seem to hint that the tide may change when many console buyers buy into the next gen. But , on the other hand, with essentially the same library at far cheaper prices, and with PC readily able to connect to TV's and game controllers like never before - why switch back?

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 9th, 2014, 12:06 am

I think the reason PC is more profitable is that software tends to be bought in bulk. Steam has sales ALL THE TIME. If you see a game you're interested in, on sale for 10 bucks, that's usually 30, why not get it? I got every GTA game on sale for 7.49 (during their Rockstar sale, which on that note, I'm interested to see if the PC version of GTA 5 will fare any better), a HUGE deal. It's a fact, if games are cheaper, they are bought in bulk. 60 bucks on Steam usually earns me about 2-3 games. Critically acclaimed games that is! Sure, the hardware is more expensive, but put it this way. My Steam account is worth over 1200 dollars. I only paid roughly 400. that's over 800 bucks on savings. Most times, I don't even EXPECT to buy a game, but when people see a deal, they take it. Now, this gap could close if consoles lower the game prices. And I mean REALLY lower the game prices. We're talking 30 bucks a pop. It doesn't cost much to manufacture, so why not lower it a bit? Sure, more people buy CONSOLES than PC's, but the fact that it's more profitable should tell the console makers to dock the prices down a bit.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » July 6th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Looks like the Steam summer racked in some killer cash. I wish console makers would do this with PSN and XBL.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 7th, 2014, 12:21 am

Don't believe everything you read!  And in the case of the Internet, don't believe ANYTHING!

This whole article is predicated upon some statements made by some non-credible guy who nobody has ever heard of with no actual statistics to back up his assertions.

Keep in mind guys that 95% of everything on the Internet is CRAP!  FOCUS people!!

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » July 7th, 2014, 12:32 am

Ars Technica isn't one to make things up, I've been following them for two years now. That's not to say their word is god but it's certainly a bit more credible than some journalist reject's blog.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » July 7th, 2014, 1:43 am

There are multiple sources on this though, Dave.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » July 7th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Basically, damn anything modern gaming regardless of objective word.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 7th, 2014, 4:48 pm

I'm very familiar with Ars and it's no better than Slashdot.  A lot of the so-called "articles" are just opinion pieces or conjecture designed to cause a stir and generate comments.

I was was being somewhat facetious about the 95% thing, but you really can't take anything you read on the Internet at face value.

I agree that Steam is a money-maker, but mainly due to their frequent "fire sales" of old games.  A lot of people buy the games simply because they are so cheap.

Return to “Video Games General”