Nintendo's quality output as a third-party developer

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 25th, 2014, 7:00 am

Surely a sign of good management is adapting to change and also changing course if something's not working ?

Sony did this with the PS3, they remodelled it and made it cheaper to manufacture after initial sales were disappointing.

Microsoft have done it this gen with Xbone, they had to react, which they did and are now selling units.

Sony and Microsoft also supplement income with their subscription services, Nintendo online is woefully shy of the quality of PSPlus and Xbox Live. Again Sony adapted to compete with Microsoft with PSPlus.

To me Nintendo's management is arrogant and unable to react to changing markets.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 25th, 2014, 9:26 am

[QUOTE=Sut]Surely a sign of good management is adapting to change and also changing course if something's not working ? Sony did this with the PS3, they remodelled it and made it cheaper to manufacture after initial sales were disappointing. Microsoft have done it this gen with Xbone, they had to react, which they did and are now selling units. Sony and Microsoft also supplement income with their subscription services, Nintendo online is woefully shy of the quality of PSPlus and Xbox Live. Again Sony adapted to compete with Microsoft with PSPlus. To me Nintendo's management is arrogant and unable to react to changing markets. [/QUOTE]

Well, your examples are lacking, but I do thank you for at least posting a coherent message than can be easily read and responded to.

As far as PS3, not really, the problem with game ocnsoles is you cannot turn on a dime. It took years for Sony to 'turn it around' with PS3, and they suffered heavy losses in that time, including the loss of a viable portable game console line.

MS gutted XboxONE, true, but they have yet to turn it around. They flat out squandered their momentum from the second half of last gen, to a degree that has surprised me, and proved me wrong, at least to this point.

Nintendo may well have to change, but remember this is the company management that has had great success changing markets, including motion gaming and touch screen gaming. But they have been set back by cheap mobile gaming on one end and expensive hardcore gaming on the other, now is the time to rebuild and adapt, which is what they are doing. What they are not doing is burning their early adopters, as MS has done with Kinect.

Amiibos are interesting, because they are dies exclusively to Wii U at this point. Of course, like Miiverse and eshop, these are revenue streams and services being built to last far beyond one console. And they investment in Amiibos is paying off, both for the Wii U and Nintendo, look at Smash Sales :

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/242468-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-is-the-fastest-selling-wii-u-game-ever-in-the-u-s

Popular Franchise (more than 14 million Super Smash Bros. games sold in the U.S. alone)
+
Demand (it has been six years since the last Super Smash Bros. console game, plus the new game benefits from heightened awareness for the franchise coming on the heels of the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game)
+
Critical Acclaim (current Metacritic score of 93, making it the highest-rated original game of this generation, tied with last year’s Super Mario 3D World game)
+
Strong Reaction from Fans (current user score of 9.2 on Metacritic, becoming the eighth Wii U game to have a Metacritic score of 85 or higher AND a user score of 8.5 or higher)
=
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is now the fastest-selling Wii U title ever in the U.S. market (dethroning Mario Kart 8), with more than 490,000 physical and digital units combined sold during the three-day period of Nov. 21 through Nov. 23.

“The Nintendo holiday is off to a great start, but there’s a lot of work left to do and a few more surprises in store for our fans,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “With great deals coming on Black Friday and Cyber Monday and great content like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker launching next week, Nintendo will offer shoppers the best combination of fun and value this holiday season.”

Nintendo is doing very brisk business again this year, on the back of a supposedly 'dead' console. Nintendo's commitment to products is second to none in the game industry, again, because of intelligent, long sighted management. As a customer, I appreciate that, it gives you confidence in buying products.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 25th, 2014, 10:33 am

Even though the Wii U is never going to compete sales wise to PS4 or Xbone this generation. It is vital Nintendo support it and don't drop it or kill it early - why ?

Brand protection that's why. This needs to be Nintendo's primary focus for the near future.
There are the inevitable comparisons to Sega, but this is the big differentiator: Sega lost it's brand, they lost consumer trust, hell they didn't even advertise the Dreamcast as a Sega console as the brand was seen as damaged and linked with failure.

To their credit Nintendo are protecting their brand very well 'OK we are not selling as good as we hoped but look how great our products/ games are' if they can maintain that for the short - medium term hopefully their next product will have Nintendo once again as a dominant force. Just change the marketing team though eh ?

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 25th, 2014, 11:06 am

[QUOTE=Sut]Even though the Wii U is never going to compete sales wise to PS4 or Xbone this generation. It is vital Nintendo support it and don't drop it or kill it early - why ? Brand protection that's why. This needs to be Nintendo's primary focus for the near future. There are the inevitable comparisons to Sega, but this is the big differentiator: Sega lost it's brand, they lost consumer trust, hell they didn't even advertise the Dreamcast as a Sega console as the brand was seen as damaged and linked with failure. To their credit Nintendo are protecting their brand very well 'OK we are not selling as good as we hoped but look how great our products/ games are' if they can maintain that for the short - medium term hopefully their next product will have Nintendo once again as a dominant force. Just change the marketing team though eh ?[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 25th, 2014, 11:46 am

I do not know the brand of car Nintendo is.

They make the best and most innovative software, the best and most innovative controllers, and package it with reasonably priced hardware and online services of the console are not behind a paywall.

Nintendo management ensures Nintendo makes fantastic, high quality products, and that is why they remain relevant in the console sphere.  Holiday sales will be interesting this year.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 1st, 2014, 12:41 am

http://fortune.com/2014/11/21/nintendo-holiday-sales/

“There hasn’t been much good news to report regarding Nintendo’s financial situation since the company’s historic annual loss way back in the 2011 to 2012 period,” Pachter said. “That may be changing. Strong sales of new Wii U and 3DS software helped raise the company to a surprising quarterly profit of 24.2 billion yen (about $224 million) in net income for the three months ending September 2014. That’s quite a turnaround after a loss of over eight billion yen (about $74.2 million) in the same period last year.”

^The Wii U has some definitive momentum going.

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:154-186654-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Meanwhile Ubisoft is 'refunding' DLC presumably because they had to shift resources to fix the original game?

Unfortunately, at launch, the overall quality of the game was diminished by bugs and unexpected technical issues. I want to sincerely apologize on behalf of Ubisoft and the entire Assassin's Creed team. These problems took away from your enjoyment of the game, and kept many of you from experiencing the game at its fullest potential.

To show our appreciation for your continued support, we’re making the upcoming Assassin’s Creed Unity Dead Kings DLC free for everyone. For Season Pass holders, we will also offer the choice of one additional game from a selection of Ubisoft titles for free. More details on the offer for Season Pass holders can be found here: AC Unity FAQ

Some bait and switch, instead of a refund, they are going to let you get a free game. OF course this is kind of salt in the wound for those who were burned by this preordering of a very flawed game.

Anyway, it is an interesting and striking contrast in management styles, and lets face it Nintendo's quality control is far greater than what EA and Ubisoft have been doing.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 1st, 2014, 5:44 am

[QUOTE=Pachter]Strong sales of new Wii U and 3DS software helped raise the company to a surprising quarterly profit of 24.2 billion yen (about $224 million) in net income for the three months ending September 2014. That’s quite a turnaround after a loss of over eight billion yen (about $74.2 million) in the same period last year.”[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this profit appears due to favorable exchange rates. So while a good improvement compared to last year's performance at this point in the fiscal year, Nintendo still posted an operating loss. But at least it's the lowest one since losses started several years ago. 

And strong sales of 3DS software? The numbers that I've seen are down significantly for Nintendo's results so far this year. If it wasn't for Super Smash Brothers and these upcoming Pokemon titles, 3DS software sales would be miserable when this fiscal year concludes. 

I don't know why anyone pays this idiot any attention. 

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Meanwhile Ubisoft is 'refunding' DLC presumably because they had to shift resources to fix the original game?[/QUOTE]

They're not refunding anything. As that clearly states, they've made the DLC free as an apology for early issues. They have not cancelled this DLC to redirect their resources to resolving issues with getting trapped in haybales and a few other oddities. Those that already bought a season pass get to pick from a selection of recent Ubisoft releases for a free game, and everyone else gets to download it for free. 

Seems like a classy move on their part.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 1st, 2014, 9:06 am

So if it wasn't for best selling games, 3DS software sales would be terrible? Huh. Good thing for the best selling games then?

Leo, you were so worried about Nintendo's losses and now they gained back 3x as much as they lost last year. I thought you would have been pleased by this news.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 1st, 2014, 2:01 pm

I'm definitely not displeased.

[QUOTE=Segatarious]So if it wasn't for best selling games, 3DS software sales would be terrible? [/QUOTE]

As I essentially stated, quarter 1's sales were way down and quarter 2 was also down significantly despite Super Smash Brothers. 

The only saving grace that will turn a poor year into a mediocre one for 3DS sales is hopefully going to be the continuing Pokemon phenomenon. 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 2nd, 2014, 7:42 pm

Is it wrong that I find this funny?

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/12/02/report-super-smash-bros-wii-u-error-code-bricking-systems/

As a side note, the problem is not exclusively caused by Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, citing previous user experiences with Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, and other Wii U games. 

I guess I'm happy my console just locks up after leaving Hyrule Warriors up and running for a bit.  Come to think of it the same thing happens on Mario Kart 8 when I leave the console running and the controller in the docking station to charge.  hmm, I wonder why that is?

Return to “Video Games General”