Sega's Depressing Legacy

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul1231

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby Paul1231 » January 26th, 2015, 3:55 pm

On the other side of the coin, be careful what you wish for. While their compilations are good, I'm not sure many of us would want those classic franchises stained with a slew of crappy sequels and remakes until they are ground into a fine powder..

Rev1

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby Rev1 » January 26th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Speaking of which...

Samba De Amigo (Wii)
Nights: journey of Dreams (Wii)

Kind of killed both franchised.

Captain_Crunch1

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » January 28th, 2015, 7:36 am

I agree Sega has some great legacy titles (especially Streets of Rage, but also some lesser-known titles as Baku Baku and Toejam & Earl) that deserve a reboot. Also, a decent DreamCast collection would be welcome, because the 'Dreamcast Collection' for Xbox 360 was a disgrace.

As for the development part, I really liked Sonic Generations and even Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I & II. (But I hated every Sonic game since Lost World). I have no idea what other titles have been developed by Sega recently. However, they did publish some good games from other developers, such as Condemned, Bayonetta and Rome: Total War II.

ptdebate1

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby ptdebate1 » January 28th, 2015, 9:34 am

The one that depresses me the most is Phantasy Star (both single-player and multiplayer iterations). That's because they released a sequel to one of my favorite games ever (Phantasy Star Online) and it's only available in Japan[mad]

The original Phantasy Star series, on the other hand, is all but forgotten. Shining Force as well. If they were to release a reboot of either of those series, I think it would do really well. Tactical RPGs are in vogue thanks to Fire Emblem: Awakening and Banner Saga, and Phantasy Star would flourish based on the strength of its lore alone.

Vexer1

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby Vexer1 » January 29th, 2015, 1:22 am

Strongly disagree on Sonic CD, I think it has aged very well indeed.

The AAA effect didn't kill THQ, their own incompetence did.  The short version is that one half of the company wanted to keep doing licensed games despite them not selling very well after 2007, the other half wanted to do more high-profile like Red Faction and Homefront.  Also the company wasted millions trying to create an MMO of Warhammer before realizing they did not have the resources to support, plus they also lost millions developing the U-Draw Tablet for the PS3 and 360, both versions sold terribly, negating whatever money they earned from the Wii version selling well.

I do not believe mainstream gaming would give it a horrible review today at all, I can't imagine why they would.

Sega unfortunately kinda did this to themselves, a lot of people are still really sore about them after they went crazy getting Youtube videos of their games taken down a few years ago(Totalbiscuit boycotted covering any of their games after his channel nearly got taken down as a result), causing some people's channels to get banned(even if the person was just talking about Sega games), that's pretty much the first thing most people will associate the company with upon hearing their name.

I feel that Alpha Protocol is one of their best and most underrated games.

Captain_Crunch1

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » February 2nd, 2015, 4:42 am

Apparently, Sega is going to focus on digital games (smartphone & PC online): 
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-30-sega-to-offer-300-voluntary-retirement-as-part-of-focus-on-smartphone-and-pc-online-gaming

As a console gamer that kind of makes me sad... what do you think?

Vexer1

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby Vexer1 » February 2nd, 2015, 12:45 pm

As long as they continue making Sonic games(unless they're lousy cow-clickers that only exist to drain your money) then i'm fine with it.

ptdebate1

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby ptdebate1 » February 2nd, 2015, 2:12 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]As long as they continue making Sonic games(unless they're lousy cow-clickers that only exist to drain your money) then i'm fine with it.[/QUOTE]

Would Sonic on a mobile device really work though?

Vexer1

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby Vexer1 » February 2nd, 2015, 2:22 pm

I meant as long as they still make Sonic games on consoles and handhelds i'll be fine.  If they do make mobile Sonic games, then I hope they port games like Sonic Pocket Adventure(the Ios port of Sonic 2 was pretty good as it restored the long missing Hidden Palace Zone, too bad the original music wasn't used) and they don't turn Sonic into a damn cow clicker like with what happened to Dungeon Keeper and what's happening with Need For Speed.

ptdebate1

Sega's Depressing Legacy

Postby ptdebate1 » February 2nd, 2015, 2:45 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]I meant as long as they still make Sonic games on consoles and handhelds i'll be fine.  If they do make mobile Sonic games, then I hope they port games like Sonic Pocket Adventure(the Ios port of Sonic 2 was pretty good as it restored the long missing Hidden Palace Zone, too bad the original music wasn't used) and they don't turn Sonic into a damn cow clicker like with what happened to Dungeon Keeper and what's happening with Need For Speed.[/QUOTE]

I guess it would work fine with a Bluetooth controller. They didn't butcher the Sonic CD mobile port with micro transactions and whatnot so perhaps there's some hope that they'll keep some integrity.

Return to “Video Games General”