Nintendo really needs better marketing

General and high profile video game topics.
BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 29th, 2015, 12:35 am

Okay, so I'm really excited about the release of the New 3DS.....but there are a few things that are bothering me:

I'm a bit confused by it. It's still compatible with the original 3DS, so therefore it's just an upgrade. However, in the case of games like Xenoblade Chronicles, it's also a brand new handheld? Is it a "new" 3DS or an "improved" 3DS? They're promoting it's release with a game that is also playable on a regular 3DS (Majora's Mask).

Nintendo, over the past several years, has developed this nasty habit of giving their consoles/handhelds really bad names, at least from a marketing standpoint. Part of the reason, I'm convinced, as to why the Wii U has sold so poorly is because of the name! It doesn't sound like a new console, but rather an upgrade! Even a coworker of mine seemed surprised when I told her that the Wii U was a totally different console altogether! Now, they're taking the confusing route again with the New 3DS!

Am I alone here?

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 29th, 2015, 1:07 pm

I wonder if it's intentional?

Kind of like Apple and their iPhones and iPads.

I've lost track of what each does and which ones support x features.  Could Nintendo be intentionally migrating toward a PC like architecture where every hardware release supports software that ran on previous versions?

That would be awesome.  Your gaming collection would always be available no matter what hardware is available.  Appleheads rush for the "new" iPhone.  

I doubt that this is the intent as they're not all that good at this sort of thing.  I realize they've done this in the portable space for a really long time.  

Unfortunately, you're right.  Nintendo sucks at marketing.  The last good marketing they had was for the Wii.

Maybe, they're trying to not upset the cart for those consumers that just bought a 3DS?  Who knows?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 29th, 2015, 5:34 pm

I agree Nintendo's marketing is poor.  Do they ever HAVE a marketing department?  

Total agreement about the naming of stuff.  "Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U"?  How long did it take them to come up with that?  And yeah, the NEW 3DS makes no sense, since "new" is relative.

That said, bad marketing doesn't seem to affect their handheld sales.  These systems have always jumped off the shelves and will continue to do so.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 29th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Yeah I don't understand Nintendo's marketing. I think they could hire some preschoolers and it would be more successful. The Wii U campaign started off terrible and I rarely see any commercials for it anymore. Calling it an "upgrade" confused a lot of non-gamers who were one of the target audiences of the console.

Return to “Video Games General”