Tastes & Age

General and high profile video game topics.
Tron1

Tastes & Age

Postby Tron1 » March 30th, 2014, 11:31 am

I started off on Intellevision. The NES was my next console as a young boy. I loved Super Mario Bros., then Super Mario Bros. 2 & Super Mario Bros. 3 became my absolute favorite. By the time Super Nintendo came out I got into Street Fighter II, NBA Jam & other stuff. Super Mario World was cool and all, but I was more interested in Ogre Battle. Once the N64 came out I was in college. I fell in love with the Playstation. Tekken, Twisted Metal & Resident Evil had my attention. Mario 64 was meh. More Mario; not interested. I played it for a few minutes, but it couldn't hold my attention. When I did play the 64 it was to play Golden Eye.

Years passed & I finally got a N64, but the reason was to play Ogre Battle 64. I considered getting other games, but at this point the Playstation 2 was ruling gamers everywhere. I thought about trying Mario 64 again, but it was still pricey. I didn't want to pay so much for a game I'd probably get bored with quickly.

Fast forward to 2014. I've kept my eye open for Mario 64 for awhile now. I figured it ranges from $30 to $20. I was able to pick it up for $13. Score! So anyway I just played it for 2 hours and had a swell time. I don't know if I'll like it enough to complete the game, but I definitely will be playing it again.  

My point? When I was young I loved Mario, once I got into my teens and 20's I wasn't interested. Now that I'm in my 30's I'm interested again. I started playing Mario and Sonic games a few years ago, but it took me about 17 years to try Mario 64 again.

scotland171

Tastes & Age

Postby scotland171 » March 30th, 2014, 8:26 pm

I understand. Same thing holds for most hobbies in general. You can come back to something you used to enjoy years before, but often in a different way, or appraising it with a different slant.

N64Dude1

Tastes & Age

Postby N64Dude1 » March 30th, 2014, 9:00 pm

That happens,I never thought I'd be watching cartoons such as Xiaolin Showdown again,I gave up on it in the 3rd season when I thought it jumped the shark and I was 13. And I can think of other cartoons I got back into for a bit that teenage me wouldn't touch.

Kirby 64 is pretty much that though. Loved it as a kid,then it seemed to sugary, and last time I played it,I enjoyed it for the art direction rather than Kirby itself.

On the other hand there are also games I played as a kid that I got back to and enjoyed for the exact same reason as before,but didn't as teen. (This applies to lighter toned games)

@Tron: It's not all that hard to complete and can be done in one sitting,it's got everything a good Mario game needs I don't see why you wouldn't. 

darkrage61

Tastes & Age

Postby darkrage61 » March 30th, 2014, 11:39 pm

I used to like Rugrats as a kid, but it dosen't quite interest me as much anymore.

I played some Genesis sports game when I was younger, and I used to find them mildly diverting, nowadays I can't stand sports games of any kind, they just bore me.

TheLastNightmare1

Tastes & Age

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » March 31st, 2014, 3:18 am

My first videogame obsession was Defender. Flickering, and moving in slow motion. But there was a city, at night. There were people in need. To me, every life I used to defend them had a name, and a story to tell...

Every shot I fired, came straight from the soul. It's why the ship vanished. Nobody was there to explain sprite limits.

I was hooked by NES RPGs. When I was a kid, I wanted to know what happened if you left the track in Pole Position. I tried to drive off course, but of course, I failed. The NES understood that impulse. There were worlds to explore.

The SNES and the Sega CD taught me to talk to everyone. Later, that advice made me more friends than I knew what to do with...

The Saturn gave me a warm campfire in a strange land where nobody spoke my language. My dragon took me to many far away places.

Final Fantasy VIII was about a self-absorbed prick who had everything simply handed to him. His greatest tragedy was losing a friend when he was a kid. I lost one too. But I was also molested and taught to kill myself. I couldn't take his narcissism seriously. Why would I want to play this? Well, there was the art design. It was all beautiful.

I never finished Skies of Arcadia. I came close to finishing FFX.

I simply watched Persona 3 and Persona IV.

I had a girlfriend now. We bonded over Dr. Who, and stinkbugs, and mocking those who saw only our labels. Plus a lot of other subjects videogames don't really cover, not in any actually mature fashion.

When she held me close enough to listen to her heartbeat, that was my safe place...

I never had one of those before.

But it never lasted long. There were just too many random battles. I never knew when they would come. How can you fight an enemy you love? Especially when she wants to die? And the experience I gained only made me feel poisoned...

I don't play many RPGs anymore. It's just too obvious when they lie.

darkrage61

Tastes & Age

Postby darkrage61 » March 31st, 2014, 4:33 am

RPGs lie about what exactly?  I'm confused?

Speaking of which, i'm not as big on Pokemon as I once was, I watch the TV show, but i'm less interested in the games as I simply don't have the desire to spend hours level grinding anymore.

Segatarious1

Tastes & Age

Postby Segatarious1 » March 31st, 2014, 7:43 am

My tastes have probably not changed much. However, with each passing year I am more intolerant and less patient with cut scenes and stories in games.

However, have my taste changed, or do game just continue to degrade and become more intrusive in this respect?

LoganRuckman1

Tastes & Age

Postby LoganRuckman1 » March 31st, 2014, 10:20 am

My tastes really haven't changed all that much, but I do enjoy FPSes and Rhythm games a lot more than I did a few years ago. They're not my favorite genres, but I still enjoy them. It's a shame that I got into Rhythm games so late, because now it's pretty much a dead genre. Rocksmith has to be my favorite game in the genre since you play it with a real guitar, followed by Guitar Hero 5.

There was also a time when I was embarrassed to admit I liked Pokemon. I was in 9th grade. I don't know why I was embarrassed. Perhaps because a lot of people in my school thought that Pokemon was childish, and I was already known as an immature kid, so I didn't want to seem more childish. I still loved it, I just didn't admit it. When I was in 10th grade though, my embarrassment stopped completely. I didn't care what people thought of me. And to my delight, a lot of the other kids in my grade loved Pokemon too (it was a new school, by the way), so I had new friends to enjoy my Pokemon love with.

darkrage61

Tastes & Age

Postby darkrage61 » March 31st, 2014, 2:33 pm

I too am much more into FPS games now then I was 10 years ago, it's now my favorite genre along with third-person shooters.

Rev1

Tastes & Age

Postby Rev1 » March 31st, 2014, 7:17 pm

My tastes change all the time but I have always held respect for most genres. I have yet to hit a FPS phase but pretty much every other genre I have dabbled in from time to time.

Return to “Video Games General”