I want to stream on twitch, need your advice and feedback :/

General and high profile video game topics.
Franzuu1

Postby Franzuu1 » April 1st, 2014, 12:06 pm

Long story short, I want to start streaming on Twitch. I need help with getting started and improving my stream.

I'm looking to get feedback on stream quality, entertainment value and what do you think of me as a person.

On first impression:

1. Would you be a viewer of my stream?

2. If yes, how could I improve?

3. If not, what must I change for you to be more likely to do it?

4. Would you even view a gaming stream? What do you think of watching video games in the first place?!?!

5. If the problem is with me, don't be afraid to voice it.

Any piece of advice or critique you can give me. Either post it here or PM me on Twitch. Both options are ok.

My stream is here http://www.Twitch.tv/FRANZUU

At least come in and say hi.

Going live after posting this thread. Keep in mind that this will be my first stream (apart from a test stream), so expect awkwardness [tongue].

My dream is to become a full time streamer. Prepared to use every last ounce of willpower to make the necessary changes required for that to happen.

I want to stream every day and periodically will post here when I go online. I'd update every time, but I consider that spammy.

You can look at my past broadcasts if I'm not live when you see this. Go to my stream page and click on the "Videos" tab in the top right corner. It is next to the "Chat" tab.

I will post updates from my streaming venture and if I happen to stop, I'll be sure to let you know.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » April 1st, 2014, 6:37 pm

I'm going to preface this by saying that almost no one gets big streaming or doing let's plays. You have to really stand out and know that people will be watching your stream for your comedy or insight, not your gameplay. In fact, it's so difficult to stand out that I wouldn't recommend doing it.

I was too late to see your stream live, but I caught a video and I wasn't impressed. Your mic level was too low and from what I could hear there wasn't much interesting going on. Really, the loud ones are the most noticeable and they all slip into obnoxious territory anyway.

The straight "streaming an MMO" route is far too saturated even for someone who can be a decent entertainer. All of my friends tried their hands at the Twitch streaming game and none have gotten anything out of it.

I've both reviewed games on Youtube and streamed with a friend on Twitch, and I can relate to wanting to do that thing full-time. You have to stand out though and not many of us can entertain an audience while playing Titanfall. If you're willing to try it anyway, good luck.

Franzuu1

Postby Franzuu1 » April 1st, 2014, 7:18 pm

sorry pacguy19 i missed your post.

I know, gameplay doesn't matter. its your personality and true the obnoxious ones get noticed (pewdiepie, uberhaxornova, sodapoppin etc.) but I had fun and i'd say that my first stream was successful. I'll work on improving myself.

thanks again

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » April 1st, 2014, 9:10 pm

Here's my point: Just because its fun for you doesn't mean its fun to watch. I tried to be nice but I'll put it a bit more bluntly: your stream wasn't interesting and if you can't get the dynamic right the first time you probably won't get it right at all.

Watching people play games sucks when I could play that game myself. Don't bother streaming, find a different video game related hobby (eg machinima).

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 1st, 2014, 11:19 pm

I do occasionally watch LPs, but that's usually if i'm stuck at a certain point in the game and can't figure it out otherwise.  I don't find famous LPers like "Two Best Friends" to be very funny.

I would recommend you either do game reviews like Angry Joe and Totalbiscuit do.  Or you could do video game related countdowns like Joshscorcher, cjszero01, Rabbidluigi, Animalguy001, Peanut3432, Superflipper76 and several others do.

Twitch is just kind of eh, I found it funny watching TB play through Ride To Hell: Retribution, but aside from that I rarely visit the site.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 1st, 2014, 11:46 pm

I checked out a couple of your video archives and honestly I wasn't impressed... I can't imagine watching someone play a game when I could just be doing it myself... IT really isn't fun to watch. I would think doing videos over games might be a better use of your time compared to doing a stream (like providing history of a game or reviews), it is a lot more condensed and would get to the point.

Also, it was hard to hear you and I didn't really find your commentary that interesting. Sorry. I agree with pacguy. It's noble to try and follow your dream but you have to be realistic. I just don't see this panning out.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » April 2nd, 2014, 8:55 am

I can't tell you what others want/like, but to me the whole idea sounds awful. Watch some guy play a game while he talks to an audience? Sorry I didn't watch your video so maybe I'm misunderstanding the concept here.

Here's what I would like. Short concise fact-based reviews on old games under five minutes long.

Franzuu1

Postby Franzuu1 » April 2nd, 2014, 4:10 pm

Thank you guys for your input, I appreciate it.

1 day of streaming (that I consider a success) and people saying nay isn't going to get me to quit yet.

I know, watching video games isn't for everyone and that is fine but hundreds of thousand of people do. I'll just have to find my game ans schtick. Some people are naturals at it and they get it right off the bat.

Anyway, going live again.

Yesterday some of the feedback I got was that I was hard to understand because of my accent + my tendency to mumble. I have made some changes to my set-up and will make an effort to speak clearly. People have said that I mumble when I speak my own language too.

What I want to know:
1. Can you understand what I am saying?
2. How bad is my accent?
3. Would you be a viewer of my stream?
4. Yes or no, how can I improve my stream?

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » April 2nd, 2014, 4:43 pm

I think we've already answered those. Your mic volume is too low and your commentary is incomprehensible. You don't talk nearly enough to make it interesting, and you have to be able to crack jokes at a moment's notice, unless you're streaming a game you've played.

Improving your stream means being more interesting overall. Some people can do that, most can't.

Return to “Video Games General”