Are gamers killing video games?

General and high profile video game topics.
pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » March 30th, 2014, 11:51 pm

I don't know if there's anyone here who watches Game Theory, but nothing has made me agree harder with something than their latest episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxhs-GLE29Q

He basically goes into how gamers cry for innovation and yet the innovative titles with perfect review scores tend to sell in the low millions (or under a million), whereas Call of Duty games sell better with every game.

Thoughts?

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 31st, 2014, 1:41 am

That video is absolute nonsense if you ask me. If anyone's killing innovation, it's the publishers who refuse to give the same kind of devotion to smaller titles as they do to their AAA franchises(or refuse to publish certain games at all), gamers who buy COD are NOT to blame.  Just cause COD sells well dosen't make gamers to blame, that's what I call "Insane Troll Logic".

The reason why these "innovative" titles typically do not sell well has nothing to do with popular franchises, it has to do with publishers putting very little effort into marketing said titles.  Take "Vanquish" for example, that game should've sold a hell of a lot better then it did, but Sega did ZERO promotion for it, there were no TV or online ads, no ads in gaming magazines, no nothing, if it wasn't for me happening to read a review of Vanquish in Gameinformer, I wouldn't have even noticed that it came out. 

Same thing happened with Shadows Of The Damned, EA did absolutely nothing to promote it whatsoever, so it ended up being Suda51's worst selling title to date.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » March 31st, 2014, 2:28 am

I think there has been culture shift in society where more and more people demand instant gratification. Especially with their entertainment. The new age gamer doesn't want to spend countless hours following a storyline and solving thought-provoking puzzles. They want to jump right into the action and kill people! Call of Duty has never had much of a storyline, and new hits like Titanfall are online multiplayer only so there is no real plot, they just pit you against another team and "there's the enemy, kill them!" Simple enough innit? 

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » March 31st, 2014, 11:11 am

^+1 on what Weekend_Warrior said... and his name is fitting for that argument!

For me, I am a dad, husband, full-time worker who is 40 something, and my gaming time is very restrictive. Once I am done with everything, and if I am not too wiped out, the time for gaming is largely for "instant gratification". That's why when I play GTA V, I don't even do the missions... I just ride around, and cause mayhem. Then, I go to bed. That is why I also figure mobile and tablet gaming is how it is, and how popular it is (also the low-entry price into it). Its just... easy [smile].

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » March 31st, 2014, 11:59 am

Its no different for art, or movies, or tv shows, books, or toys, or whatever.   First,  people like what's hot.  Someone makes a movie about a killer shark, and for years its killer animals all over the place.  Law and Order is a hit on TV, and years later we have CSI: Houston on.  Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a zombies in America.    Then the times will change.  Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.  Westerns are popular for years, but slowly, they become satire or deconstructions, and what once was the Sheriff of BigTown, is not just the Deputy of Nichetown.   How many artists were 'before their time', i.e., they were creative and innovative, and it was not until later, often much later, when what they did could be interpreted without being shocking.   

Sometimes innovation pays off right now - Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Joust, etc.  Sometimes innovation pays slowly, laying the foundation for the future.  Resident Evil was a big seller, yet it borrowed from earlier games.  Whatever it is, innovation is not dead, its just that we don't need it all the time.  Sometimes we just want Bonanza.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 31st, 2014, 3:34 pm

I wouldn't say they painted themselves into a corner, considering that gaming is the most succesful form of entertainment.  Also everyone has their own definition of what "junk" in a game is, so I wouldn't really say it sucks to be them.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 31st, 2014, 5:37 pm

Yes i'm talking about profits, GTAV outsold the entire global music industry.

Everyone has their own opinion of whether "innovation" is fun or not, some people like myself do find it to be fun.  Don't really see how this has anything to do with Hollywood or what they call "edgy".

BTW, what does the term "unwashed masses" mean?

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » March 31st, 2014, 6:04 pm

You'd think there would be a market for both. Sometimes story or new gameplay mechanics are important, and other times you want instant gratification. I think the video was trying to get at how lopsided the market is right now and (potentially) why.

I feel like movies go through the same thing though. The bad, flashy ones do really well and fade out over time, whereas the well written, well paced ones flop initially and then get remembered. I still can't think of any really good next-gen releases, although that'll probably change over time.

Return to “Video Games General”