Intimidated/overwhelmed by modern games

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor1

Postby Voor1 » March 30th, 2015, 4:14 pm

I grew up with a NES/SNES and still
Consider that to by my favorite era of gaming, with the 64 not far behind. I currently have a gamecube, and sometimes find some games or action sequences to be pretty intimidating (such as some boss battles in Metroid Prime, etc).

I'm used to this, of course, but there's a difference when it's a 2d platformer versus a 1st/3rd person game. We've come a long way from dispatching Bowser's seven naughty kids in SM3.

Anyway, I was watching the final boss battle to Ninja Gaiden 1 (NES), which I never beat, and clicked on a montage of Boss battles for ninja gaiden 3 (360/xb1? Not sure). Man, those looked insane. I felt overwhelmed just watching those, and it feels that there would be no way I could enjoy that as a gamer.

From time to time I consider buying a PS2, just so I can experience Shadows of the Colossus. Looks like that degree of "epic ness" has been far surpassed.

Side note....yes, I feel old now.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » March 30th, 2015, 4:22 pm

I was just discussing this with a friend, modern games are massive and don't want to let you go.
It's took me almost 18 months to Platinum Killzone Shadow Fall and that's not including any DLC, I'm currently playing GTA V and that's also an absolute time sink both single player and the online component.

So I find them intimidating in a different way - the size of modern games.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 30th, 2015, 5:48 pm

I think being overwhelmed is a good thing, I personally love most 3-D games and I say the more insane and massive the better. Personally I don't care about getting all the achievements/trophies in games, just beating it is usually enough for me(sometimes I might go out of my way to get collectables if they're interesting enough).

GTA V isn't nearly as big of a time sink as RPGs like say Skyrim are.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 30th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Yeah, a lot of modern games (especially those on PS and Xbox consoles) tend to have a massive scope and I can get pretty intimidated by many of the games. I find that if I don't think about it, the feeling quickly dissipates, but I still get that way, especially if I've been putting a lot more time into older consoles.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » April 2nd, 2015, 9:28 pm

I also am overwhelmed by modern games, starting around the late 90s. Once worlds got bigger than something like Goldeneye, it just got to be too much. When I play a game, I like to feel in control and be able to know and see everything there is to be had. And there's a threshold where it just feels ridiculously tedious and pointless. What I find interesting is this happened when I was still young and had oodles of free time to play these games if I so chose. So it certainly isn't because of time commitments. The first (and some second) gen PS1 and N64 games had worlds that were at the edge of my acceptable limit and it was fun. But once we got past that I feel like the industry left my sort of gamer behind. I sometimes feel bad that I haven't played many new games the last decade or so, but it's not my cup of tea. Heck, even some of these new 2d games look a little too tedious for me. That's why the only 3d games I play are from the early 3d era, I'd say 1993-1998. Toss in the 3do and the Jaguar, and those years it wasn't so overwhelming. I think there's some real relics in those 2 system's libraries concerning those types of games.

Return to “Video Games General”