New Forums Open for Business!

General and high profile video game topics.
Tron

Re: New Forums Open for Business!

Postby Tron » May 25th, 2015, 10:26 am

Gentlegamer wrote:Can you give the recognizable long term members the ability to post without moderation approval?

Yup yup!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 1st, 2015, 6:06 am

Well that is a yes and a no. Yep they are open for business but no none of my posts ever appear.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 1st, 2015, 8:14 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:Well that is a yes and a no. Yep they are open for business but no none of my posts ever appear.

Speaking just for myself, there are times when I choose to ask for someone else's advice before approving or disapproving a particular post. In the meantime, other posts by other people may be approved. I should have sent BlasteroidAli a private message telling him the post was being discussed, and I did not.

Sorry, BlasteroidAli. I should have told you in a message one of your posts was being discussed. Its been approved now, and to the best of my knowledge, none of your posts have been lost unless it was accidental.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 1st, 2015, 9:53 am

scotland wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:Well that is a yes and a no. Yep they are open for business but no none of my posts ever appear.

Speaking just for myself, there are times when I choose to ask for someone else's advice before approving or disapproving a particular post. In the meantime, other posts by other people may be approved. I should have sent BlasteroidAli a private message telling him the post was being discussed, and I did not.

Sorry, BlasteroidAli. I should have told you in a message one of your posts was being discussed. Its been approved now, and to the best of my knowledge, none of your posts have been lost unless it was accidental.

Thanks

scotland

Postby scotland » July 10th, 2015, 9:35 pm

In looking through older threads, for instance this one
http://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5084&t=4700&hilit=Piracy
a lot of the older posts are no longer there. The thread says 33 posts, but there are only 4 visible.

I assume they are lost forever, but wonder what the reason was for some being lost?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 11th, 2015, 12:24 pm

When I was migrating the old messages to the new system, the format of the old data changed several times over the years, so trying to collect them all was like playing wack-a-mole.

I am really not interested in revisiting that because it would take a great amount of time and effort. Not to mention it could cause havoc with the current boards.

Sorry but I would assume those old messages are gone.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 12th, 2015, 11:01 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:When I was migrating the old messages to the new system, the format of the old data changed several times over the years, so trying to collect them all was like playing wack-a-mole.

I am really not interested in revisiting that because it would take a great amount of time and effort. Not to mention it could cause havoc with the current boards.

Sorry but I would assume those old messages are gone.

I understand why these older threads are lost, but I think that it's a huge loss for this site. The forums started in early 2005, and there were over 10 years worth of topics, arguments, and a look at gaming at that particular time. I enjoyed going back and reading what others had to say over the years.

It's really too bad they can't be retrieved.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 14th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Good news Gleebergloben,

I was able to figure out where the missing messages were. They had their "poster id" set to 0 in the database, which was invalid.
So with one keystroke I updated 53K messages, setting them to 1 (anonymous). Yikes.
Looking at your example thread, it looks like they are back!
You can see why I'm so squeamish about doing this kind of thing!
Scary stuff, but thanks for bringing this to my attention.
It was a bigger problem than I thought.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 15th, 2015, 1:25 am

That's great news! Thanks for taking care of that.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 3rd, 2019, 11:23 am

Gentlegamer wrote:Can you give the recognizable long term members the ability to post without moderation approval?

I'm from the future. It happened.

Return to “Video Games General”