New Forums Open for Business!

General and high profile video game topics.
goldenband

Re: New Forums Open for Business!

Postby goldenband » April 9th, 2015, 1:26 pm

scotland wrote:I know the priority is registration, but some things for when time permits:

Legacy posts have lost quote formatting. For instance:
[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=rift]I mean the bottle bomb level should be taught in schools as an example of awful design.
Bottle bomb level?[/QUOTE]
this may not be fixable, but it does make legacy threads more difficult to read.[/quote]

I think globally adding quotation marks after the equals sign and before the right bracket will fix the quote formatting, since the new site expects to see quotation marks around the poster's name. In other words, quote="scotland" (inside brackets) works.

grep can do this automatically, but I wouldn't know the right syntax.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 9th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Hooray! We can now have avatars! :D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 9th, 2015, 6:37 pm

I think things are going fairly well all things considered. Here are the three things still keeping me up at night:

1. Spam. This keeps happening and I'm not sure how to stop it. So frustrating!! It may involve not allowing "newly registered users" to post. I'm looking into this.

2. User Accounts. I activated a few familiar user accounts (like Leo) but it bothers me that some weren't able to activate correctly. I may have to change the process.

3. Database issues. In Rev's case he saw a post in his name that was posted by another user. Hopefully it was just a glitch, but if it's systemic that could mean a lot of work on my end.

Once these three things are straightened out I focus on some of the other items of concern.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 9th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Hello everyone. Gonna take time gettin used to this. Still I like the idea that my posts can be automatically posted. Waitin for mod approval was such a drag. I also get the sense of permanency here. I know the Critic had mentioned a couple O' times that the old forums were on borrowed time.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 9th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Awe fudge! Still gotta have mod approval?!?!

Boo! Hiss!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 9th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Don't forget to move the user info over the to the left side!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 9th, 2015, 9:34 pm

Tron wrote:Awe fudge! Still gotta have mod approval?!?!

Boo! Hiss!

This is just a temporary measure until I learn how to effectively deal with the spam. Hang in there.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 9th, 2015, 11:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Tron wrote:Awe fudge! Still gotta have mod approval?!?!

Boo! Hiss!

This is just a temporary measure until I learn how to effectively deal with the spam. Hang in there.

I don't know what admin tools you have here, but you ought to be able to set up a New Member forum where newly created accounts are only allowed to post to prove they aren't bots. Then a mod can give the account permission for the rest of the forum. It can double as spam guard and an "introduce yourself" sub-forum.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 10th, 2015, 1:23 am

Hey, awesome! I'm glad you have your own forum. I would recommend changing the design, as the current design is generic as fudge. Also, I agree with the idea of a new members forum where new members have to post in to prove they're legit.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 10th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Had a technical problem today that was making the boards unbearably slow. Fortunately the RPG Critic (remember him) came to the rescue. Seems to be running normally now.

Gentlegamer: Good suggestion about the new user forum! I think I might be able to do something like that.

Logan: I agree the look of these forums need an overhaul - big time. I'll probably begin that process next week.

Return to “Video Games General”