General Conversation forum?

General and high profile video game topics.
Tron

Re: General Conversation forum?

Postby Tron » April 18th, 2015, 6:22 pm

I'd like to post about movies & TV. I just finished season 1 & 2 of Night Gallery. Gotta get season 3.

jon

Postby jon » April 18th, 2015, 6:47 pm

We have had threads where we talked about what music members like and stuff like that. I kind of like that the site doesn't have all sorts of miscellaneous types of forums.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 20th, 2015, 6:27 pm

I'm in favor of one, so long as it sticks to movies, TV, and music.

No news or random questions...or "rants". Please, no.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 20th, 2015, 9:08 pm

Seems odd to limit it so greatly, when just the usual no "politics and religion rule" could apply to prevent the annoyance that off-topic forums can create at times. And perhaps expand that to cover morality issues, that don't really fall into either topic but can lead to very heated discussions at times and is stuff that many people would just as assume not see at this forum.

For instance, myself and I believe Alienblue are both model railroad fans. Why cut out stuff such as that and other hobbies, particularly at a forum that's all about what amounts to a hobby? Or for another example, at the home theater forum where I'm a regular at, a long running thread about the member's pets is one of the most popular and longest lived topics. That's another one that people seem to enjoy talking about.

I don't like the idea of limiting an off-topic forum to just entertainment. Some basic guidelines is all it needs to remain open ended.

Tron wrote:I just finished season 1 & 2 of Night Gallery. Gotta get season 3.

I've seen one episode of this on Me-TV, before I lost that channel thanks to the idiocy of their Burlington Vermont affiliate. I think I'll stick to my Blu-Ray sets of The Twilight Zone. Seemed to be missing the magic of Rod Serling's earlier series.

In recent weeks, I've been watching The Dick Van Dyke Show on Blu-Ray in glorious 1080p. Nice to have one of my favorite tv series in such fine form (It's from the same publisher that has remastered and released The Twilight Zone on Blu-Ray, another one of my favorites).

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » April 20th, 2015, 11:41 pm

I've recently been watching the 2006 version of Biker Mice From Mars(it's unfortunate that it's pretty much impossible to find all the episodes of the 1993 version in English) and am quite enjoying it so far.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 21st, 2015, 12:22 pm

Twilight Zone is definitely Tops, but once you've watched them all then what? Night Gallery is more "hit or miss", whereas TZ is almost all Hit. A lot of NG is really good so if you've seen a couple of the weaker episodes and stopped watching; total bummer. I also dig the 70's man so that's bonus.

I think I've seen every TZ episode, but am not certain. The blu-Ray collection is on my list to get. I heard it got good reviews. One thing that intrigues me is that the picture quality is so great that you can see details that you weren't supposed to be able to see. Things like the crookedness of someone's teeth. Back in the 60's on those old tube tvs the picture quality hid that stuff. I'm excited just thinking about re watching them.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 21st, 2015, 1:44 pm

I'd also like to add that a general conversation forum would also be something that could only enhance the site. The people who like these types of forums would have a place to chat and talk with people while people who wanted to stick solely videogames could just ignore the forum. I think it could only help increase forum activity and keep people coming to your site. Assuming it doesn't cause radical political topics or anything like that (so set some boundaries but don't limit it too much).

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 21st, 2015, 8:41 pm

Tron wrote:The blu-Ray collection is on my list to get. I heard it got good reviews. One thing that intrigues me is that the picture quality is so great that you can see details that you weren't supposed to be able to see. Things like the crookedness of someone's teeth. Back in the 60's on those old tube tvs the picture quality hid that stuff. I'm excited just thinking about re watching them.

Makes Rod Serling's efforts to get the network to reverse their cost cutting decision and allow him to return to 35mm film after a half dozen episodes in the middle of season 2 were videotaped, all the wiser fifty years later.

A high definition presentation for such episodes is impossible, unlike 35mm film which effectively offers a resolution much higher than even 1080p. Plus, the appearance of videotape was frequently viewed as looking cheap and was associated with the nightly news, variety shows like Ed Sullivan and Jack Benny, and live action dramas like Playhouse 90 that had relatively low production values. In all likelihood, The Twilight Zone likely wouldn't of been as successful back then had it stayed with tape, and in all probability, it would've gone into the vaults and disappeared shortly after its run ended and we wouldn't be here talking about it today.

Instead, he likely unknowingly future proofed his work by insisting on film.

Tron wrote:A lot of NG is really good so if you've seen a couple of the weaker episodes and stopped watching; total bummer. I also dig the 70's man so that's bonus.

After checking Wikipedia's list of episodes, I saw the second half of a season 2 episode, titled 'Brenda'.

Several of these sound as if they have possibilities though, like Lone Survivor. Should've gone out of my way to catch more episodes.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » April 23rd, 2015, 5:57 am

Seeing some people are using this thread to throw out recommendations of shows, I'll toss one out. If you are a Canadian and are not watching X-Company (the whole run so far is up for free on CBCs website right now), you are doing yourself a horrible disservice. I thought it was going to be a silly secret-agency WW2 show, so I tuned in for some silly sci-fi or something. Instead, I get an incredibly morally ambiguous look at World War 2, where the writers have managed to make the Nazi program look absolutely monstrous, while showing the German soldiers as human beings who sometimes did monstrous things. And the main characters often make choices that make them very morally ambiguous (like when they kill people they think might have betrayed them, without being certain). The fact that on a Canadian show we made the most pacifist character an American who enlisted before the U.S. joined the war, while making the most violent main character a Brit is also an interesting turn from usual Canadian stereotypes.

(Warning: There's a silly bit about being able to easily fly into and out of occupied France in the first 2 episodes that disappears thereafter. Maybe that wouldn't bug everyone, but it was the one thing that almost turned me off).

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFnjGO-hhG4

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 23rd, 2015, 6:25 pm

I'd like to the fine folks here about music. My favorite genres are alternative, indie, punk, and video game music. My three favorite albums:

3. The Blue Album- Weezer
2. Diary- Sunny Day Real Estate
1. In Utero- Nirvana

Return to “Video Games General”