Game Review Recommendations?

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate

Re: Game Review Recommendations?

Postby ptdebate » June 21st, 2015, 10:35 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Demon's Souls - PS3
Dark Souls - PS3
Vanquish - PS3
Dragon's Dogma - Xbox 360

Seriously, at least play Demon's Souls!

At LEAST!

Ah, Umbasa...

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 21st, 2015, 11:04 pm

A third recommendation for Vanquish. You should also play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Both of these are by Platinum Games, the same people who made the Bayonetta series - these people know action!

Portal 2, especially since you seemed to enjoy the first one. It's probably twice as long and it does considerably more than the first game mechanic-wise. Same great writing, too (although it's a bit more self-consciously wacky, which hurts a little bit).

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile for the PS1. Fun, kid-friendly platforming game that uses a simple mechanic (bouncing on top of a captured enemy for a double-jump) to great effect. Reminds me a bit of a Treasure or Rare game from the N64 era. There's also a graphically-enhanced remake for the Wii simply titled Klonoa, although I haven't played it and have no idea how much or little it differs from the original.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch for the NES. Not exactly a lost classic, but a surprising solid and challenging action-platformer for a licensed game. Has an overhead view similar to Crystalis and the graphics (especially for Gizmo and the Gremlins) are quite detailed for the time.

Bucky O'Hare is another well-made action platformer for the NES from a licensed property, this time a side-scroller by Konami. You can eventually switch between four different characters and the game takes a style similar to Mega Man into quirky, Battletoads-style directions without the punishing difficulty.

I'd be curious to see what you would make of the Hitman series; Hitman: Blood Money would be a good place to start. Don't know if you'd love or hate the open-ended nature of the levels and missions.

I know I've already bugged you regarding Skullgirls, but a new edition of it (Skullgirls: Second Encore) is coming to the PS4 in the next month or so. It's going to have all the DLC characters included along with some new features (including the ability to play against online against people still playing the PS3 version, which you have to admit is pretty cool). Definitely the version to get, and you get to fill out your reviews for the new systems a bit more.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » June 22nd, 2015, 12:22 am

I would suggest Body Harvest for the N64. Very well made, and despite the sci-fi setting, is actually more influential on the GTA we all know and love than GTA I and II are. It's actually made by Rockstar North, when they were called DMA Design.

billydeethrilliamsX

Postby billydeethrilliamsX » June 22nd, 2015, 3:00 am

God of War Ascension. You love this series so I'm surprised you haven't given this one a go. You even liked the poor man's God Of War, Conan!

Hitman Blood Money. One of the most open gameplay experiences ever.

Kane and Lynch 1 and 2. Solid third person shooter series that doesn't get enough love.

Shadow of Mordor.Arkham Batman's combat with a mix of Assassins Creed. Except it cuts out the fat from that series. (Assassins Creed, not Batman. The Arkham series is great.)

Shovel Knight. I've commented on this before.

Castle of Illusion remake.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » June 22nd, 2015, 7:20 pm

I'll second the Kane and Lynch series, dark but very compelling story in both games.

Ferf13

Postby Ferf13 » June 29th, 2015, 5:59 pm

My suggestions are:

Sniper Elite V2 : Silver Star Edition (PS3/Xbox 360)
Sniper Elite 3: Ultimate edition (PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One)
Earth Defense Force 2025 (PS3/Xbox 360)

Thanks

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 7th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Almost forgot, I would also highly recommend Sleeping Dogs, truly excellent open-world game that's every bit as good as the GTA games(and even better in some ways).

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 26th, 2015, 4:20 am

I think you should take another look at games which you played while you were in a bad mood like RAGE, which is a truly great game that I feel your review did not do justice to, and I really think you would enjoy it if you played it while you were in the right frame of mind.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » July 26th, 2015, 3:54 pm

I'd like to see this trio of Game Boy Color titles reviewed:

Super Mario Bros Deluxe
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Tetris DX

I'd also like to see Hyper 3D Pinball reviewed (it was available at least on the Saturn and Playstation that I know of)

and in the non-turn-based RPG adventure genre I'd like to see both Starflight (Genesis) and the Secret of Mana (Super Nintendo) reviewed.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 26th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Critic, you gotta play Deadly Premonition! In the ranks of downright weird Japanese games this one is legendary. I recommend the PS3 "Director's Cut" as it has more content than the original 360 release.

Return to “Video Games General”