Modern Gaming Headaches

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

Re: Modern Gaming Headaches

Postby Breaker » July 18th, 2015, 6:21 pm

You've hit on exactly the reason I play my classic consoles far more often than my PS3 or 360 - almost all of the times I play video games are in 60 minute or less increments, and the majority are less than that, maybe 40 minutes or less. The install and load times just kill me. I can turn on my Genesis and be playing in 40 seconds.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 18th, 2015, 6:27 pm

This is even worse when the system is a handheld. Like FIFA on the Vita. And even on the PS4, I have to wait for it to connect and crap, even when I don't intend to play online.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 18th, 2015, 10:56 pm

MY memories of PC gaming are a nightmare, so as modern day consoles become more like PCs, the harder it is for me engage with them.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 18th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Vexer6 wrote:I don't believe this generation "sucks" or is "retarded"(BTW you really shouldn't be using that term incorrectly like that) at all, we've gotten some pretty damn good games so far with more to come.

Really? I'm using those terms incorrectly? Boy do I feel silly. Please Vexer6 share with me your profound wisdom on how "I" should use those terms correctly.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 19th, 2015, 1:13 am

Retarded is not a term that should be thrown around casually, it's offensive to those who suffer from actual mental retardation.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 19th, 2015, 11:53 am

Vexer6 wrote:Retarded is not a term that should be thrown around casually, it's offensive to those who suffer from actual mental retardation.

Thank you for your advice Vexer6. Now I have some for you, it is highly offensive to give opinion and advice to those that do not ask for it or value it. I thought I made myself clear that I don't like you and that I care not for your opinion. I thought we had agreed to ignore each other's posts. I think it is the best arrangement for both of us and hope that you will return to it.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » July 19th, 2015, 2:36 pm

This is one of the main reasons I'm completely sitting out the current generation of consoles. They give you systems with 250GB or 500GB drives, but because they offload so much information from the internet and the disks they fill up amazingly quickly. If they would get serious and sell them with 2-4TB drives, with room for expansion they'd be a little more realistic. Yeah, the internet is slow and crappy in many parts of the country, but if you're buying a DISK to put in a console why should that even come into play? If they can't fit the whole game on a disk, don't sell it that way (or sell it with multiple disks - they're incredibly cheap). I still get by with my original 20GB basic hard drive on my Xbox 360 because the games I buy for it are right on the disk and don't install to the HD.

If I want PC gaming, I'll game on my PC.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 19th, 2015, 6:30 pm

There is actually an Xbox One with a 1 TB drive being sold right now.

I don't get why people are comparing the Xbox One and PS4 to PC and calling them less powerful PCs, I don't really see the comparisons, consoles are still a very different animal.

Tron-Giving advice is somehow offensive? that makes no sense. BTW, I really don't care if you don't like me or not(the feeling is entirely mutual I assure you), i'm certainly not going to stop posting just because of that, so if you don't like it, then oh well. I do not recall ever making any such arrangement in the past.

jon

Postby jon » July 19th, 2015, 7:01 pm

I remember when PGA '95 I think was on the computer, it was great but they only had 2 courses. And after it was out for a bit they sold add on courses in stores, you'd buy an additional course. Back then it was very interesting, just short of me actually getting it, but I loved the idea. It was fascinating looking at it at Best Buy or whatever. That's why when I first heard of DLC popping up for consoles I thought it could be cool. But to hear about games being released with bugs is just horrid. And the thought of having to buy more courses for racing games and golf games seems pretty lame in 2015.

NX17

Postby NX17 » July 19th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Hey VGC,

I think this is one of the more annoying problems with games nowadays, but it leads to even worse problems. The fact that it CAN be installed to a hard drive now, also means it CAN be perpetually patched and 'fixed' after release.

Batman for instance, not on consoles but PC oddly enough, released COMPLETELY broken to the point they stopped new sales on it. These sort of "conveniences" for developers give them pretty much carte blanche to release broken games on basically any videogame system nowadays. And people still buy them! Not only that, but patches that come out to fix things, seems to break other things! A Grand Theft Auto V PC patch that came out recently seems to do exactly that.

As for the new PGA game it seems to be universally panned due to lack of content, which EA seems to do on a regular basis now. Look at the model they did with UFC last year. They released the game, then over time had 4-5 updates that added things to the game that were supposed to be there in the first place!

That leads to my biggest complaint. I really don't mind DLC for adding on to a completed game for more content, but this world of constantly having to babysit a game over the course of time to get more added content and jump through hoops to get the entire experience is ridiculous. It's like you have to preorder through a certain retailers who bought some exclusive content, get the same on a certain system who bought more exclusive content, may or may not get a finished game that will undoubtedly come with a day one patch and install regardless, then over time watch as content releases In a slow stream before they decide to tell you to buy the sequel and then cut the servers off your game a year later.

Modern gaming in a nutshell. Anyone up for some Contra right now?

Return to “Video Games General”