Are there people out here who hate Steam reviews?

General and high profile video game topics.
juhis815

Are there people out here who hate Steam reviews?

Postby juhis815 » July 19th, 2015, 8:02 am

So, this question popped in my head when I was wondering what kind of reception Worms World Party Remastered got on Steam, if people at GOG.com were quite satisfied with the purchase.

Well, I soon found out that people at Steam were not happy with this game, with people complaining low-resolution menus (WA also has this same thing), optimization issues (poor performance at 2D game??), misleading online play (I'm not online gamer to be honest), etc.

But, the thing is, that I personally think that Steam Reviews are the worst thing implemented to Steam, despite the fact that I use it on daily basis to play certain games. While I might receive hate mail what I said here, but I won't regret it that reviews that you can read on Steam are pure garbage most of the time. "Reviewers" don't bother listing pros and cons most of the time, and that pretty much deludes users for buying the game in first place to see what the fuss is all about.

I want to know are there people out here who are against Steam Reviews, and for what reason?

C64_Critic

Re: Are there people out here who hate Steam reviews?

Postby C64_Critic » July 19th, 2015, 2:30 pm

I have to admit, I don't read the reviews all that much on Steam but I have found some pretty good ones there. I guess it's like anything that gives you user reviews, you have to be able to quickly separate the wheat from the chaff. I look for reviews that give pros and cons, and I make liberal use of the "Was this review helpful?" thumbs to try to help my fellow gamers get the better reviews as they percolate to the top. FOR INSTANCE: I just now went to the user review section for Broforce, select 'Recent' to get the most recent reviews, and the very first review says:
"ITS BROPABLY THE FUNNEST GAME YOU'LL PLAY!
BROOOO YEAAAHHH!!!!!"

Ok, they clearly like the game, but as a 'review' it doesn't tell me squat. Thumbs down. The second review, which I won't post here because it's pretty long, gives a nice long list of factual information about the game, things they like, things they didn't, and suggestion for improvement for developers.

This is hardly an issue with Steam, I see user reviews on Amazon all the time that have me wondering why the author even bothered to write it. No good information, or complaints that frankly have nothing to do with the product. Thumbs down that crap, thumbs up the good stuff, and the universe will take care of itself.

Vexer6

Re: Are there people out here who hate Steam reviews?

Postby Vexer6 » July 19th, 2015, 6:42 pm

The reason are being negative towards World World Party, is because the game listed 60 FPS as a feature, and the game is incapable of running at that frame-rate. People would've excused the game running at 30 FPS if the description had not flat-out lied by claiming it could run at 60 when it clearly cannot.

Return to “Video Games General”