Rare Replay (Xbox One)

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Rare Replay (Xbox One)

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 1st, 2015, 1:49 pm

I'm excited to buy something from Best Buy for the first time in a long while. Rare Replay is coming out on Tuesday for the Xbox One. This bundle disc contains 30 classic games!

I remember compilations like this were very common in the late 90's/early 2000's. Namco Collection, Midway Treasures, Konami Classics... Then they all but disappeared - probably because publishers were hoping to make more $ selling them piecemeal via digital download. If this strategy failed, I'm glad!

Anyway not only do you get 30 classic on a disc, but at a budget price too ($30 I think). I think we need to support compilations like this to encourage them to make more!

I might even need to stop badmouthing the Xbox One.... nah!

Rev

Re: Rare Replay (Xbox One)

Postby Rev » August 1st, 2015, 1:58 pm

I love compilation discs. They were so popular for a while before DLC became common. The most recent collection I can think of was Sonic Genesis Collections (or whatever it's called). Hopefully this does well so we can see more of these.

What kind of games does Rare Replay have? Are they from a particular company or something?

Edit: I'm an idiot, lol. Rare...Replay....

Sut

Postby Sut » August 1st, 2015, 6:21 pm

This is going to be an excellent release and as a PS4 owner I'm admittedly jealous.

You guys in the U.S. will get to sample some of Rare's early ZX Spectrum classics from back when they were known as Ultimate.
Make sure to spend some time with Jet Pac and SabreWulf both absolute classics.

What I also like about this collection is the massive range from a small 16k Spectrum game right up to Xbox games.

It sure sounds a great compilation.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 1st, 2015, 9:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Anyway not only do you get 30 classic on a disc, but at a budget price too ($30 I think). I think we need to support compilations like this to encourage them to make more!

I might even need to stop badmouthing the Xbox One.... nah!

Just to warn you, it sadly appears to require an online activation according to the reports I've read. That certainly detracts from what otherwise appears to be a top notch retail release.

Rev wrote:They were so popular for a while before DLC became common. The most recent collection I can think of was Sonic Genesis Collections (or whatever it's called). Hopefully this does well so we can see more of these.

Happily, we've had several since then like 2012's Midway Arcade Origins. But it has sadly been a while since that last one appeared.

Outside of season 1 and 2 retail releases for Pinball Arcade on the PS4, the only stuff that I can think of since that Midway collection that could qualify as a classic compilation have been smaller scale digital exclusives like Pac-Man Museum and Capcom Arcade Cabinet.

Sut wrote:What I also like about this collection is the massive range from a small 16k Spectrum game right up to Xbox games.

Too bad that Rare's 16 bit era is ignored.

Not much that could've been included thanks to their heavy involvement with Nintendo properties during that generation, but the Battletoad and R.C. Pro-Am sequels on the Genesis and Killer Instinct for the SuperNes would've been nice to see and would've helped make for a more well rounded representation of Rare's legacy.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 4th, 2015, 3:40 pm

This collection looks awesome.

I think the patch stuff is required for playing any of the 360 games. The rest of the games should play fine without any downloads required.

Considering MS said the 360 emulation was coming later this fall that's a reasonable compromise. Regardless, 30 games for 30 bucks is sweeeeeet.

David

Postby David » August 4th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Bought the digital edition yesterday. All the 360 games are separate downloads, so I don't believe they'd be on the disc version either. And some of N64 games like Banjo Kazooie are 360 remastered versions I think, so they're downloads as well. It's kinda annoying, because I'd rather have all the games under the Rare Replay icon in the XB1's game list, instead of having a ton of extra crap cluttering the menu.

Return to “Video Games General”