Do you have a game room?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Do you have a game room?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 12th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Like many gamers, I have a game room (or "man cave") dedicated to my video game habit. The wife likes it because I can more or less limit my collection to that room and not junk up the house. It will never be big enough though.

My newer consoles are downstairs where I have more room - critical for motion games.

Do the rest of you have a room dedicated to gaming? Maybe an extra bedroom or finished basement?

Rev

Re: Do you have a game room?

Postby Rev » August 12th, 2015, 7:26 pm

I showed pictures of my game room before. It is a dedicated spare bedroom and it has a lot in it. For a small room I have organized it do I can fit two TVs, two chairs, like 16 consoles and 1800 games. I really want to get another set of five small Tupper Ware stackable shelves for more of my cartridge games but I don't know if I have room. Still I spend a lot of my needed alone time in there and it is one of my favorite places to be. Game rooms are fun. One day I'd like a game basement with a lot more room. It's kind of hard on apartment living.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 12th, 2015, 7:28 pm

That's definitely the goal as soon as I get a bigger house. Right now space is limited and I'm renting so I have to maintain a severe limit on the physical objects I keep around (my book collection alone makes moving a tremendous pain).

That being said, I've always loved the idea of having a game setup in the basement or media room. My ideal configuration would be a huge Trinitron with my RGB modded n64, an SNES, and Genesis hooked up with everdrives loaded in the slots. My RGB switch box would facilitate quickly alternating inputs. I'd like to still have physical copies of favorite games on the shelf but (call me lazy) I prefer to just sit down and pick my game from a menu :).

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 12th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Do you have photos of your current game room? I think the last it was seen here was the 2005 Contra Championship of the Universe.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » August 13th, 2015, 1:35 am

It is my spare bedroom, with:

-a computer setup with the desk that sits neatly in the closet so it can be concealed behind doors when not in use, hooked up to an old 5.1 stereo with surround speakers in the corners of the room.
-a modern TV with Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, HBC-enabled Wii, and an Apple TV running off of the Xbone's HDMI passthru; all with an Astro A50 wired from the TV's optical out. (best gaming headset ever BTW!)
-an old CRT TV with N64, Saturn, and PS2, with the TV using a mini-fridge as a stand; mainly just to satisfy my occasional desire to play lightgun games and because the Saturn's graphics look terrible on a HDTV through Composite.

And it has a large couch, some chairs, pretty much a furnished spare room, kind of like a man cave. Big Federation flag on the wall behind the TV. It's pretty comfortable and the room of my house I spend the most time in.

Sut

Postby Sut » August 13th, 2015, 7:58 am

I've kitted out my loft for my retro gaming room.
I have two CRT TV's up there mainly for Saturn light gun games but I still think retro systems look better on CRT TV's.
One TV is to the side with my Speccy, Channel F and PC-50x hooked up. The Centre piece is a bigger CRT with my ST and Sega consoles hooked up Master System, Multi-Mega, 32x, Saturn and Dreamcast. Then game shelves for the games I love escaping up there when I need some 'alone time' it really helps remove stress !
The way the loft is set up, I can set a Spectrum game loading and play away on a Sega console until I'm ready - bliss.

Like the critic my modern systems are downstairs but the bulk of my games are stored in the loft apart from my current playlist to prevent clutter and my better half's wrath.

Den

Postby Den » August 14th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Yes, a modest one. I have my old 32-inch CRT and 5.1 stereo with the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube and PS2 hooked up at all times in the basement. (The WiiU is on the big screen upstairs.) I only have about 50 games between them, though. There's also space for my DDR and other rhythm-game equipment.

I also have a ping-pong table in the next room, if that counts.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » August 14th, 2015, 5:23 pm

I have a basement, buy not dedicated to videogames. I have 2 young kids, so it's a family room. I have a 42" led tv, couch and recliner. I only have 2 or 3 consoles hooked up at any one time, with the rest stored away. I have a framemeister to use with my old systems on the led tv. I only have 9 consoles and about 130 games, so a pretty small collection.

I like it though, it's pretty cozy.

Return to “Video Games General”