Is the Nintendo 3DS dying?

General and high profile video game topics.
MoarRipter

Re: Is the Nintendo 3DS dying?

Postby MoarRipter » August 28th, 2015, 11:22 am

The Wii Remote was a total gimmick. It was originally designed to be an optional controller for the GameCube and then Nintendo figured they could design a whole new console with outdated tech built around that the design of that controller and people bought it, because they included an excellent pack-in game that the controller worked really well with. With the exception of Wii Sports mainly, most games that utilized the motion controls used horrible control schemes and even in Nintendo games the forced waggling and shaking of the remote to do things that could've just as easily been done with a button press felt way forced and gimmicky. The stupid forced motion controls in games like NSMB and DKC Returns ruin the fun of the games, at least for me, I don't want to shake the damned remote up and down and give myself carpel tunnel just to do something that I could've done in the same game twenty years ago by pressing down + B. But it served Nintendo's purpose, it allowed them to sell a new console with outdated last-gen hardware at a profit. Anyway the best thing to happen to the Wii wasn't the dumb-ass controllers, it was Wii Homebrew.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 29th, 2015, 12:03 am

Question????

New 3DS or 3DS?

My oldest daughter hijacked my 3DS XL. I've been using an original DS to play Advance Wars. Both my daughters ages 6 & 8 have birthdays in September. I've been thinking about getting them their own 3DS's. I don't know much about the New 3DS, but from what I can gather there isn't much of a reason to get one. I don't mind paying the extra money for one if they are really worth it, but I don't want to pay extra without some good reasons. Also they don't want a 2DS. I don't think the 3-d part matters much, but exclusive games might.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 29th, 2015, 12:40 pm

I'm pretty sure there is still only one exclusive for the New 3DS is Xenoblade Chronicles... I like my New 3DS but it isn't a mandatory upgrade. The 3D is definitely better and if you plan on using it at all, the New 3DS does an excellent job always maintaining the 3D regardless of most angles.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 31st, 2015, 9:04 pm

oooooooooohhhhhh......aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh............

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/anoth ... -announced

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » August 31st, 2015, 10:58 pm

I don't understand why the 2DS wasn't clam shell. Or, at least closer to the DS Lite, aesthetically speaking.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 1st, 2015, 2:33 am

It's because children and the hinged handhelds don't make for a good match.

I find it appealing since it's one less thing that could go wrong. If they'd just update it to include New 3DS functionality minus the enhanced 3D capabilities and enlarge the screen to XL proportions, I'd bite.

I'd also love to see proper analog sticks like the Wii U gamepad has (Remember how the Wii U prototypes initially had the same circle pads as the 3DS?). I can see how the higher profile of those perhaps wouldn't mix well with kids though, so I'll give them a pass for not making that change.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 8th, 2015, 7:51 am

Went with 3DS XL for both the girls. Got two of them used at GameStop for $140 each. I was impressed with the two used systems I got at GameStop. They were like-new. No screen scratches, a minor scratch or two on the outside.

I checked out the New 3DS. The extra buttons didn't seem important to me. The extra "nub"/ "stick" felt weird. I didn't notice the graphics to be improved from 3DS to New 3DS.

I paid an extra $20 on both the 3DS's for a warranty. If they get broken within a year GameStop will fix or replace them. I asked if that included cracked screens & they said yes. I never buy warranties for myself, as I take care of my stuff, but for the kids I thiugt it might be a good idea.

The girls are happy. They are playing YouTube videos on it. Something I never bothered to do on my own 3DS. I watch videos on my cell phone & they don't have cell phones yet. A new Animal Crossing is coming out that they are looking forward to.

They didn't want the 2DS.

Tina

Postby Tina » September 13th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Hoping for good deals come Christmas from Nintendo. For me and the four year old. Who knows...I do want a bigger screen for me, the ds is too small.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 19th, 2015, 7:30 am

My wife just asked for a 3DS XL for Christmas (I am obviously very enthusiastic about this). 650 hours into Animal Crossing, and my old 3DS is starting to feel a little cramped I think. I'm a little disappointed that the only way to get her the Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer bundle would be to get the New 3DS bundle, as there is no 3DS XL version. Thus, I'll have to buy an XL and then get that game separately, with no Animal Crossing theme at all.

As a side note to me fully converting her, she wants us to get our youngest a 2DS for his fourth birthday in January. :)

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 19th, 2015, 5:39 pm

scotland wrote:
A question - since putting Mario Kart and Smash on both Wii U and the 3DS, and with Shovel Knight coming out on 3DS...why is Mario Maker not also on the 3DS? Maybe someday, but with the Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros we knew it was multiplatform from the start?

If I had to guess, the social aspect they're counting on might be weak on there (even Miiverse is painfully slow on 3DS). And if it got choppy working there, it'd be a subpar experience that could ruin a really promising new brand (Mario Kart and Smash are already established). However, I think they could do something very, very special with Streetpass and Spotpass (at McDonald's, etc) on there with Mario Maker. And they could also offer something to retailers there. Go to Best Buy, Wal-Mart, on such and such a week and get a special level designed by celebrtiy/ game designer X."

Return to “Video Games General”