I sold off my consoles I don't play. Here's what was just collecting dust.

General and high profile video game topics.
Wallyworld

I sold off my consoles I don't play. Here's what was just collecting dust.

Postby Wallyworld » September 1st, 2015, 12:34 pm

I looked at my collection one day and noticed there where consoles I haven't played in over 6 months and had no interest in revisiting again. Anybody else have consoles they don't play and are thinking about getting rid of?

First one to go was my Atari Jaguar. This console had a handful of decent games but the best games on the console where 3D and haven't aged particularly well. Wolfenstein and Aliens vs Predator come to mind. Super Burnout looked great but it's gameplay got old pretty quickly. I hate the controller for this console. It's D pad is terrible and it feels very awkward for the 3D games. I sold this collection for about $400. I had some nostalgia for this console as I bought it when it was released and loved it but that wasn't enough to keep it.

Next console to go was Vectrix. This is a cool item I purchased out of curiosity more than anything. Impressive technology for it's time but again I haven't played it over 6 months and had no interest in playing it again. I had the Multi Cart with it and I sold it for $400. I only owned it for about a year and paid $190 for it with the multicart.

The 3rd console that was only collecting dust and decided to part with was the Atari XEGS. I never owned one as a kid but I was curious to see what I was missing. For the time it was released it was not impressive but had some pretty fun games. However I still found myself playing the 2600 over this every time. I didn't like having a keyboard with the console it looked strange in my game room TBH.

I still have 20 plus consoles in my game room and I have been concentrating on getting games I love and play every week. My favorite consoles for the past year have been PC Engine Duo-R and my Sega Genesis. So many great games on both of these consoles.

Rev

Re: I sold off my consoles I don't play. Here's what was just collecting dust.

Postby Rev » September 1st, 2015, 12:43 pm

I can relate with your decisions. I sold off my Atari Jaguar, Colecovision, and Virtual Boy a few years ago. I owned these three consoles but I really never played them or even when I did I wasn't having too much fun with them. I sold all 3 for about twice what I paid for them. I made a decision to focus on the consoles I liked and not worry so much about owning all these other consoles. When/if the time comes that I get everything I possibly want from all my other consoles, then I will look into possibly expanding my collection (even if it costs an arm and a leg at that time). I really never played those consoles and even when I did, there wasn't that much fun to be had.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 1st, 2015, 5:19 pm

I only once sold a console I owned (a Sega Master System, actually my first console) and I always regretted it, even if I didn't play on it anymore. Now I like to hold on to all my consoles/handhelds (MegaDrive, 32X, Sega-CDX, GameCube, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS, 3DS, N-Gage, CD-i), even to those that are crappy or to those that I do not use...

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 2nd, 2015, 6:48 am

I wouldnt mind owning a Jaguar again just for the nostalgia. I have ALWAYS wanted a Vectrex though. Wish I could afford one.

PAAGaming

Postby PAAGaming » September 3rd, 2015, 9:10 am

I have just bought an Atari XEGS to complement a 2600. I like the fact that I can get changes and alterations off my all time favorite games depending on what version I play.

I was wondering about getting a Jaguar some day but I'm not sure about that as it doesn't have too many games I'm keen on. Also, I don't want to collect console to just own them. I only buy them if I will want to play them more than I play my PS4 for example.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 3rd, 2015, 1:25 pm

The Jaguar doesn't really seem worth it to me... I owned two different ones and they both had trouble reading games (even after I cleaned the games religiously). I think they got dirty due to their not being a dust trap over the cartridge slot. It was probably easy to clean if you are good at taking apart consoles... Then the games were simply alright. I usually make a list of games I want for a console and I couldn't think of more than 10 that seemed worth it. After playing them I really wasn't impressed. Still, it is a cool collector's piece since so few people owned them.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 6th, 2015, 11:12 am

Rev wrote:The Jaguar doesn't really seem worth it to me... I owned two different ones and they both had trouble reading games (even after I cleaned the games religiously). I think they got dirty due to their not being a dust trap over the cartridge slot. It was probably easy to clean if you are good at taking apart consoles... Then the games were simply alright. I usually make a list of games I want for a console and I couldn't think of more than 10 that seemed worth it. After playing them I really wasn't impressed. Still, it is a cool collector's piece since so few people owned them.

The jag was a system that if it had taken off it could have been pretty good. There were a lot of British games coming out for it. Sadly for it the Sony playstation was just around the corner so it did not get a good run at it. Though I think it was as good as the 32x mostly because in the UK they did not release much software for it.

Having said that I got rid of mine years ago. I have a ps2 gathering dust two sega saturns and a few other consoles. Though one of my pals was selling a neo geo cd machine and I did not buy it. Really I was gutted when he sold it before I could.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 6th, 2015, 12:54 pm

I think that would have been really cool if some more games came out for it. I wonder if those British games would have been any good. Speaking of which, does the Jaguar have a region lock? I've never heard of of people importing for the Jaguar but that might be interesting...

PAAGaming

Postby PAAGaming » September 7th, 2015, 6:30 am

I think the Jaguar, 32X and Sega CD where wasted and had lots of potential. I would like to see lots of homebrew games that really push the system.

I had a PS2 but sold it as I just couldn't care about the system and it did nothing for me. Shame because I wanted to like it.

jon

Postby jon » September 7th, 2015, 10:19 am

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. The Jaguar just needed 2nd (there were only a few) and 3rd generation games. Games like I-War (which I really like) showed the system had potential. If the programmers could have just had more time to master it, they could have pushed the system more and there could have been some really cool 3d games. Now, I'm not saying they would have been as big or with as fast a frame rate as the PS1 for example, but I believe they could've expanded upon the 3d games they had and pushed them more. Besides, there doesn't have to be huge worlds and super fast frame rates to have a great 3d game.

Return to “Video Games General”