Jimmy Kimmel takes the heat from gamers

General and high profile video game topics.
juhis815

Jimmy Kimmel takes the heat from gamers

Postby juhis815 » September 2nd, 2015, 2:44 am

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/09/01/gamers-respond-to-jimmy-kimmels-youtube-gaming-and-lets-play-ridicule.aspx

I stumbled across Game Informer's article about video where Jimmy Kimmel responds to many comments about death threats when he posted a video where he ridiculed the Let's Play community, but as you could have guessed, the gaming community sometimes can be VERY vitriolic. :o

It's reasons like that why I have the plugin to hide the comments section away so I don't get distracted by the comments, but in the end of the day, wishing someone to die is NOT the proper way to deal the situation like this.

Hardcore Sadism

Re: Jimmy Kimmel takes the heat from gamers

Postby Hardcore Sadism » September 2nd, 2015, 5:01 pm

That's funny, garbage-tier manbabies resort to death threats to defend their **** tier do-nothings who spout the lamest humor and not actually discuss the game they are playing.

Goes to show how awful our subculture is getting. By the month.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2015, 6:45 pm

I'm not a Jimmy Kimmel fan, but I'm on his side this time. I enjoy watching sports on TV but that is not the same as watching people play video games on the Internet. I have no desire to do that at all.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 2nd, 2015, 6:48 pm

There are only two instances where I'll want to watch a Let's Play. One is if I'm checking out a new game and want to know if it looks like something I'll enjoy. Second is when the people playing are doing funny commentary with it, a la Game Grumps. PeanutButterGamer's Hardcore Minecraft and Terraria videos are my all time favorite Let's Plays. They're funny, but I legitimately get emotional when my favorite players get killed too.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 2nd, 2015, 8:09 pm

Man I'm not a fan of let's plays... They tend to bore me. Still, death threats because someone ridiculed the community seems a bit harsh.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 3rd, 2015, 2:11 pm

It was an incredibly mild, inconsequential joke for the response he's gotten. I hope that the majority of these comments are from pubescent kids, because an adult who would make a post like any of those Kimmel highlighted needs to take a long look in the mirror. What do you want to bet that these are some of the same gamers who complain about the sensitivity of feminists or SJWs? I'm ashamed to be associated with a community of displays this sort of behavior.

On the other hand, I do watch the occasional Let's Play (mostly from Two Best Friends Play or Game Grumps), along with speedruns and competitive fighting-game tournaments. I've watched plenty of sports through the years (baseball, football, hockey, boxing and MMA) and I'd love to see ESPN televise something like EVO, provided they have knowledgeable and entertaining members from within the fighting-game community to provide commentary.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » September 4th, 2015, 7:43 pm

I actually found the Jimmy Kimmel sketch to be funny. Anyone who is attacking him, cussing at him, threatening him over it needs to get a life. He just a made a joke, and people are kind of proving his point through their reactions. Its not like Kimmel spends his whole show attacking gamers. I think 90% of his show is jokes about celebs, and even Kim Kardashian can handle the heat better than the keyboard warriors who are so offended by a very tame joke segment. So gamers, learn to be at least as tolerable as a Kardashian. Learn how to take a joke.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » September 4th, 2015, 10:49 pm

I'm sure Kimmel reminisced about going to the arcade a few times but that just goes to show how many people THINK they know someone else by a single joke they tell. It's symbolic of how socially disconnected the internet and mass media are.

As far as lets plays I just prefer non-commentary, or people who speak strictly about the game they play and not veer off into some forced tangent.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 4th, 2015, 11:16 pm

I totally don't get the appeal of watching someone you don't know playing a video game. I'll watch a review, but even on those I want the reviewer to get to the point without all the jokes & blah blah blah.

My girls watch some gay English guy play Minecraft on YouTube. I can hear him in the background & he annoys the heck out of me. I think my girls spend more time watching this ding-a-ling then they do actually playing the game. To this guys credit I will say I haven't heard him say anything vulgar or inappropriate. I'm sure there are worse things my girls could be watching on the Internet; like those Disney sitcom shows.

Return to “Video Games General”