Looks like Apple is stepping in to the gaming ring.

General and high profile video game topics.
LoganRuckman

Re: Looks like Apple is stepping in to the gaming ring.

Postby LoganRuckman » September 18th, 2015, 12:35 am

SigSauerLover wrote:It didn't work 20 years ago with the PipPin. I remember that bomb of a console. What makes anyone think they could do it now?

Maybe because 20 years is a long time and things change? That would be like saying in 1985 when the NES released (or 1986 if you weren't lucky enough to live in the test markets) "It didn't work 8 years ago with the Color TV Game. What makes anyone think they could do it now?" Honestly, that's some pretty poor logic.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » September 18th, 2015, 1:09 am

The NES comparison isn't even remotely fair. Because:

1.) The NES was in a new market, North America

2.) It wasn't marketed as a gaming console, no-one even thought of it like a video game

3.) Apple has made similar decisions since the first release of the Macintosh in the 1980's

I like what you write Logan, I really do, but I've been paying attention to Apple for many yea rs, their decisions have remained mostly the same it appears. And I don't think that they have a leg to stand on in today's market.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 18th, 2015, 6:56 am

LoganRuckman wrote:"It didn't work 8 years ago with the Color TV Game. What makes anyone think they could do it now?"

Im pretty sure those exact words were said a million times over prior to the NES release. Thats why they had to market it as a toy, with fun mascot characters, cartoons, cereal, and bed sheets backing it up to prove to stores it was anything but a gaming system.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » September 18th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Apple HAS to do this so they don't lose any ground to all the Android consoles that do both entertainment and gaming now. Besides, it's the easiest addition of a revenue stream ever, considering all they have to do is make their IOS games selection available on the Apple TV and add a controller...

Oh yeah, and he's right about the "It didn't work 20 years ago so why would it today" line. That's too much time for that to make sense. If you had said "It didn't work a few months ago with the <blank>..." that would make sense because circumstances may not change in that short period of time. The whole world has completely changed in the last 20 years.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 19th, 2015, 7:15 am

Paul Campbell wrote:Apple HAS to do this so they don't lose any ground to all the Android consoles that do both entertainment and gaming now. Besides, it's the easiest addition of a revenue stream ever, considering all they have to do is make their IOS games selection available on the Apple TV and add a controller...

Oh yeah, and he's right about the "It didn't work 20 years ago so why would it today" line. That's too much time for that to make sense. If you had said "It didn't work a few months ago with the <blank>..." that would make sense because circumstances may not change in that short period of time. The whole world has completely changed in the last 20 years.

I have to sadly agree with this. Not only has the world changed, but Apple has changed. It isn't a neat little tech company now. It is the most successful consumer products company in the world, selling devices that are as much fashion accessories as tech, and being a massive player in movies, music, TV, telephones, and personal recording devices. The company that launched the Pipin is further removed from Apple now than Entertainment Tonight is.

On CBC radio the other day I thought the opinion of an analyst was telling. He said something like "future opportunities will be decided by huge changes in technology. No one knows what Apple will do next, so we don't know." He was essentially associating the future of technology with the next Apple product as a sort of short hand. I, obviously, would prefer this was not the case, but it is basically where Apple is right now. Them and Google pretty much are the entire tech industry. They can launch pretty much anything (or pretty much nothing) and it will stick.

Return to “Video Games General”